WSB Trashing TECH RECRUITING

alagold

Helluva Engineer
My first point was that colleges have never just stuck to the merit system. There has always been some "play" in the system as you put it. Otherwise you wouldn't have the the quality of athletes you have at some schools, some other schools would be 75% female and some other schools would be 90% Asian. The "play" in the system used to just be about whose parents gave the most money. Now that play in many schools is handled in a more egalitarian way.

My second point was that the question ultimately isn't about letting undeserving students into the system. That just isn't going to happen as a rule. The question for several decades is really more about how to weed out all the deserving students who want to get in since you cannot admit them all. If you have room for a class of 1500 entering students but you have 30,000 apply who are all deserving of being there you better try to balance the class as best as you can to give as many people as possible as fair a shot at a quality education as possible.

a kind of interesting factoid--the U of Ala has more out-of-state students than in-state--can you think "out of state tuition" revenue--probably at the detriment of some in-state students

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
a kind of interesting factoid--the U of Ala has more out-of-state students than in-state--can you think "out of state tuition" revenue--probably at the detriment of some in-state students
Huh, that is very interesting. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that this fact means what we think it means. In that case, Alabama is not doing what a state institution of higher education is supposed to be doing in its admission policy.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
oh, he didn't anymore for sure
Well, that registrar really showed him, right? I have had to deal with all kinds of people at all kinds of universities off and on, and some of the administrators are so obtuse I can't figure out how they find their office every day. But they do, and make really stupid decisions sometimes. Like this example. As a five-stripper once told me when I marveled at a piece of real military craziness, "And remember, son, we actually won the war." Which is a subject for another thread for sure, but a reminder that we should be careful moving all our industry overseas. Somebody might have to build war stuff.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Huh, that is very interesting. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that this fact means what we think it means. In that case, Alabama is not doing what a state institution of higher education is supposed to be doing in its admission policy.
It is not, but is it just possible that the best students in Alabama know the reputation and flee? I know someone who was an adjunct prof there for a year and said from his experience in Mississippi, NC, SC and Alabama, his Alabama students were the least inspired and worst prepared of all, including those at Ol' Miss. (Which, by the way, has to be part of any legacy discussion. My lord, the arm twisting.)

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow