Writer believes there's a chance Paul Johnson steps away after season?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Anyone want to bring up the elephant in the room regarding the whole "TStan gets it...and CPJ likes working with him so he'll probably coach a while longer..." angle? OK, I will:

Tennessee Volunteers

Despite CPJ's denials (seriously, no agent/lawyer does anything without their client knowing, especially when it involves P5 jobs...unless said agent/lawyer wants to be an ex agent/lawyer) there were feelers put out for the UT job last winter. By that time, and it was November 30th when CPJ's agent called UT ( https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...son-rich-bisaccia-brady-hoke-texts/458102002/ ), so CPJ and TStan have been working together for over a year and I'm sure TStan shared the "master plan" with CPJ regarding increased support and facility improvements. My point is, let's not put too much into the whole TStan/CPJ thing...CPJ is going to do what's best for him. Guess what? There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with CPJ looking out for his career and livelihood.

If CPJ wins the ACC, it would not shock me to see him retire. Nor would it shock me to see CPJ move on at the end of the season to another school. 10+ years at one school is a LONG time in this era of college football.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Even if he does step away his replacement should be an easy hire; we need to promote from within and maintain this style of offense. It's obvious that it helps us cancel out talent on other teams that we may otherwise have to deal with head on, and with the players that we are able to get, that makes a huge difference. I'd be shocked if he won't start training his replacement relatively soon.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Even if he does step away his replacement should be an easy hire; we need to promote from within and maintain this style of offense. It's obvious that it helps us cancel out talent on other teams that we may otherwise have to deal with head on, and with the players that we are able to get, that makes a huge difference. I'd be shocked if he won't start training his replacement relatively soon.

There may be a lot of good "options" for PJ to choose from when thinking about a replacement, but Candeto might just be the guy. I am sure there are some others either on his staff now or previously that would be great as well.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Browsing from Yahoo this morning and on the front page was an article regarding college coaches on the hot seat to begin the season. Always fun to read through those. it goes by conference, and starts with Power Five so the ACC was first. Pete Thamel, the writer of the article mentioned Larry Fedora and after that in his "Worth Mentioning" follow up, he said "There’s a chance Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson, who turns 61 this month, steps away at the end of the season." Have I missed something, or did Mr. Thamel actually get a credible source to make this statement?

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...tential-hirings-firings-season-000008676.html

There’s a chance I may win the Powerball drawing, but I wouldn’t spend a lot of time planning what I would do with the money...

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Monken. Brian Bohannon. Short, short list of next head coaches when that time comes.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
HELL NO

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully he stays another 5 years but whenever he decides to leave I hope we keep the option. Maybe out of the gun and tweek it a little but the style of offense is keeping us competitive with UGA and Clemson on the field. (Minus last season) Unless there’s some major changes with majors we’re not going to land the talent level to run pro style or what everyone is doing.
My hope when that time comes is for Ken N, Monken or Candeto. Or even a defensive minded coach that brings in an OC with option experience.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

That would be pure disaster now that we have some momentum from Adidas and new locker room, as well as other facility committments.

But based on how we have done things in the past (carson over Doug Dickey, Lewis over GO'L, curry over Spurrier) no reason to assume it would be impossible to cut our own throats again.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Did you forget about what chan gailey won? Oh that’s right, nothing! We need this offense to stay competitive in the new ACC, if you think otherwise you have a very selective memory of how pro style offenses have done here after bobby ross and o leary, even with one of the greatest recievers of all time. I’d much rather have another PJ opposed to another B*** L**** or Gailey

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Did you forget about what chan gailey won? Oh that’s right, nothing! We need this offense to stay competitive in the new ACC, if you think otherwise you have a very selective memory of how pro style offenses have done here after bobby ross and o leary, even with one of the greatest recievers of all time.
Ummmm you do realize we are allowed to have other coaches other than Gailey amd Johnson right? I never said one thing about Gailey

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
If PJ goes 3-9 or we don't go bowling for the 3rd time...then I think the heat will be very high. Everybody is on the preseason optimism train... Just wait and see what happens if we drop on the road to USF, then god-forbid Pitt, and then we play Clemson at home. If we are 1-3 through those games, I'm sure many people will be out for CPJ.

Personally I don't think that will happen, but if it does... then I could see CPJ "stepping" away at the end of the year