WR Coach - Kerry Dixon

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We actually had put together a pretty good OL for the option offense. But we spent 4 years trying to find the next Shaq Mason before we had some success with that physical mold. That's the thing: why do some people think recruiting higher rated recruits to Tech is any harder than trying to find the Andrew Gardners and Shaq Masons, who outperform their rankings?

We had a good run of RGs. Uzzi, Mason with some Shamire Devine/Will Bryan interspersed. Uzzi and Mason gave CPJ 7 years of of phenomenal RG play. Those were All-ACC years at that position.

slugboy

Staff member
CGC was also at uf during some of that time.

He does seem to be tapping coaches he’s worked with before and seen in action.

One viewpoint is that Collins is hiring his buddies, and another is that he’s been identifying his dream team for years. I think it’s more towards his “dream team”, especially with Dixon’s recruiting reputation.

Still, it’s been a while since I felt we had a lot of players “coached up”, so my antenna are up regarding how good a coach is at teaching. Even if we recruit a bunch of highly rated players, they still leave high school with a lot of skills to develop.

I think Choice is going to be that kind of coach. I really hope our QB coach is a great teacher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
Things that make you go hmm...

Toledo's FEI rankings the last 3 years:

2018: 34
2017: 30
2016: 4

OC is Brian Wright:
https://utrockets.com/coaches.aspx?rc=459

Maybe Duke will start scheduling Clemson every year to prep for us.

Does Toledo look like that on offense because of their head coach or their OC?

For a highlight video, there are a lot of screw ups on it.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We have been under the assumption that our present position coaches are good at coaching up the players. Watching Armies OL makes me doubt this. I wish we had gone after that guy along time ago.

Also - if we Recruit TALENT and not coach up by year 2-3, I hope we make changes in position coaches. I believe in loyalty, but not to a fault. GOT TO HAVE MORE TALENT.

Like the hire
I have NEVER thought our present OL line coaches were good at coaching up.....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Duke will start scheduling Clemson every year to prep for us.

Does Toledo look like that on offense because of their head coach or their OC?

For a highlight video, there are a lot of screw ups on it.

It's not as much of a highlight tape as it is just offensive snaps in one game.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As mentioned he overlapped with Collins at FL so there is familiarity there.

I have always assumed Collins would bring in a mixture of guys from his current staff at Temple as well as coaches he knew from his time at his jobs in the SE. This is obviously the latter.
I think it will be interesting to see if his OC and DC from Temple come with him, and if either do, will they come in that capacity or just as a position coach.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You need both. You can't hang your hat on securing only top rated recruits but you can't consistently win with a roster full of players with high upside. Staff needs to recruit at a high level to secure the former and do a great job coaching up the latter.

And recognizing hidden gems, CCG’s recruiting staff (or Chan?) had a real eye for diamonds in the rough, CPJ had a few real nice finds too

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And recognizing hidden gems, CCG’s recruiting staff (or Chan?) had a real eye for diamonds in the rough, CPJ had a few real nice finds too

IMO, that's more important than signing 4 and 5 stars. GT needs to make hay with finding hidden talent and developing the talent we sign.

In this day and age, with HUDL and the ability to send videos so easily, it's a LOT harder to find those diamond in the rough types. That tells you what kind of job our coaches did back in teh 90's and during the Gailey years that we were able to find find those type of guys without easy access to video. Coaches actually had to hit the road and watch games and practices to scout players.

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow
The thing about Dixon that immediately sticks out to me is his work as RB coach. Given our current roster situation, isn’t he someone with exactly the kind of experience you’d be looking for who has worked a lot with RBs and will now be taking a position working with backs who are transitioning to slot receivers? Seems to make a lot of coaching sense.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The thing about Dixon that immediately sticks out to me is his work as RB coach. Given our current roster situation, isn’t he someone with exactly the kind of experience you’d be looking for who has worked a lot with RBs and will now be taking a position working with backs who are transitioning to slot receivers? Seems to make a lot of coaching sense.

Great point, it could be that some of our former A-backs will be doing a great deal of both next season

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Excellent point.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Looks like a ton of Florida connections and he grew up in Houston so probably some Texas connections as well. Maybe some south Georgia too.
If he has them in South Georgia he better not venture off U.S. 82 all the way to Alabama. Those Confederate flag flying whackos are best avoided, and those flags are everywhere. I go back home occasionally and it is like entering the 19 Century.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
We need both to step-up to a higher level of success, we need those 1-8 players that we signed in 2007, plus a few hidden gems yearly who ball out like 4-5-stars
Yea we have had very few 1-8 guys that could separate themselves from the rest of the pack since the 07 class.

I mean off the top of my head I can think of a few: JT, Smelter, Shaq, Gostis, Attouchu, Butker. That's 6 guys over 9 years that stand out. We can probably throw guys like Jemea, DJ, Gamble in there but honestly they weren't studs. The first 6 could've started anywhere in the country.

That's what we need more of. Our best 8 players should at least be able to crack the 2 deep at the factories.