WR Coach - Kerry Dixon

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Yea we have had very few 1-8 guys that could separate themselves from the rest of the pack since the 07 class.

I mean off the top of my head I can think of a few: JT, Smelter, Shaq, Gostis, Attouchu, Butker. That's 6 guys over 9 years that stand out. We can probably throw guys like Jemea, DJ, Gamble in there but honestly they weren't studs. The first 6 could've started anywhere in the country.

That's what we need more of. Our best 8 players should at least be able to crack the 2 deep at the factories.
And of those you listed, Smelter was probably a 4 or maybe 5 star talent who focused on baseball, threw his arm out, and fell into our lap. Gotsis was same situation, foreign talent that couldn't be properly evaluated. Probably would have been a 4 star at an American high school.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And of those you listed, Smelter was probably a 4 or maybe 5 star talent who focused on baseball, threw his arm out, and fell into our lap. Gotsis was same situation, foreign talent that couldn't be properly evaluated. Probably would have been a 4 star at an American high school.

Smelter was rated a three star safety by all the major services in HS. I will say that he was probably hurt by how adamant he was on playing baseball only in college, so I don't think the scouts really spent the time digging into his film that deeply. He was definitely a 4/5* talent for us once he got on the field.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The '07 class was a really good class, but let's not forget that there were several that didn't contribute much from that class. We had 8 4* players that year: Nesbitt, Dwyer, Claytor, Donley, Morgan, Burnette, Peters, and Threet. Threet never played a snap, transferring after Spring Practice, and Donley left after his freshman year. Claytor had 15 starts in his career at Tech and Peters was a 2 yr. starter. So, that means only 4 of the 4*'s were really productive from Year 1. Although the rest of the class was 3*'s (some others were 4*'s but not consensus), they were strong 3*'s, but consistent with the 3* players who evolve and excel at Tech normally. Logan Walls, Roddy Jones, Michael Peterson, Tyler Melton, Jerrard Tarrant are all the types of players we can currently get.

From that Class of 20 that was ranked 18, we lost Threet and Willie White without a snap. We lost Donley after his freshman year. We lost Gilbert and Yandell after 2 years of not-phenomenal play (one because he probably wasn't going to be accepted into the MBA program and one because he couldn't crack the starting line-up and wanted a change after graduation). Albert Rocker had 9 total tackles as a linebacker and Kyle Jackson (the Ambassador who was instrumental in pulling the class together) was a serviceable back-up.

In that class, the player that most surprised me was Mario Butler. He was an average 3* player who came in and won a starting spot as a freshman and went on to play at the next level. So, although '07 was a really good class, in the end, it wasn't as spectacular as everyone makes it out to be. It was good because of 2 high 4* players on offense (Dwyer and Nesbitt) and 2 high 4* players on defense (Morgan and Burnette), coupled with the excellent 3* players we normally get. We had 4 (1-8) guys from that class (and I'm not sure Nesbitt was a 1-8 guy at QB in any other system than what CPJ was running).

I put this out there because everyone points to '07 as this absolutely monster class (which it was for Tech), but the production from that class actually came from a very select few of the highly ranked players. I think with us it's about getting the high 3* players in sufficient number to give us depth and ability to play across the board.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
The '07 class was a really good class, but let's not forget that there were several that didn't contribute much from that class. We had 8 4* players that year: Nesbitt, Dwyer, Claytor, Donley, Morgan, Burnette, Peters, and Threet. Threet never played a snap, transferring after Spring Practice, and Donley left after his freshman year. Claytor had 15 starts in his career at Tech and Peters was a 2 yr. starter. So, that means only 4 of the 4*'s were really productive from Year 1. Although the rest of the class was 3*'s (some others were 4*'s but not consensus), they were strong 3*'s, but consistent with the 3* players who evolve and excel at Tech normally. Logan Walls, Roddy Jones, Michael Peterson, Tyler Melton, Jerrard Tarrant are all the types of players we can currently get.

From that Class of 20 that was ranked 18, we lost Threet and Willie White without a snap. We lost Donley after his freshman year. We lost Gilbert and Yandell after 2 years of not-phenomenal play (one because he probably wasn't going to be accepted into the MBA program and one because he couldn't crack the starting line-up and wanted a change after graduation). Albert Rocker had 9 total tackles as a linebacker and Kyle Jackson (the Ambassador who was instrumental in pulling the class together) was a serviceable back-up.

In that class, the player that most surprised me was Mario Butler. He was an average 3* player who came in and won a starting spot as a freshman and went on to play at the next level. So, although '07 was a really good class, in the end, it wasn't as spectacular as everyone makes it out to be. It was good because of 2 high 4* players on offense (Dwyer and Nesbitt) and 2 high 4* players on defense (Morgan and Burnette), coupled with the excellent 3* players we normally get. We had 4 (1-8) guys from that class (and I'm not sure Nesbitt was a 1-8 guy at QB in any other system than what CPJ was running).

I put this out there because everyone points to '07 as this absolutely monster class (which it was for Tech), but the production from that class actually came from a very select few of the highly ranked players. I think with us it's about getting the high 3* players in sufficient number to give us depth and ability to play across the board.
DJ Donley was a beast. Don't know his production at Purdue was, but was disappointed he transferred from the program.

Milwaukee

Banned

That's why it's so crucial to land a bunch of studs like the 07 class though, they're never going to all pan out like projected. Your post is the perfect example of the importance of those 4 star guys, even though you didn't intend it. They absolutely made the major difference in the squad, not the rest of the group.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
DJ Donley was a beast. Don't know his production at Purdue was, but was disappointed he transferred from the program.

He never made it to another college after leaving GT I believe. I believe the Purdue transfer fell through.

Found this ND thread on Donley:

https://www.irishenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7045

In an early sign that the offense you run matters, see what he says about UF and Urban Meyer. BTW, we beat some BIG schools for a lot players in that class.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
That's why it's so crucial to land a bunch of studs like the 07 class though, they're never going to all pan out like projected. Your post is the perfect example of the importance of those 4 star guys, even though you didn't intend it. They absolutely made the major difference in the squad, not the rest of the group.
Stars recruit stars as well. I'm sure that played a part, too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I doubt they have any true perspective on what kind of coach he is.

They also say the OC "will be" Key. I'm hoping they're doubly wrong.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I doubt they have any true perspective on what kind of coach he is.

They also say the OC "will be" Key. I'm hoping they're doubly wrong.
He coached WR for them, not sure why they wouldn’t have good perspective. I also am not saying they are right, I know nothing about the guy and just stumbled on the thread while surfing around.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He coached WR for them, not sure why they wouldn’t have good perspective. I also am not saying they are right, I know nothing about the guy and just stumbled on the thread while surfing around.

He said wr was a dumpster under him, then I looked at the stats and the players. I’d say qb was more of an issue than the wr position but what do I know.

That Reddit is saying it’s a combo of Temple’s OC & Brent Key together. I’m not opposed to that. That could work.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
He said wr was a dumpster under him, then I looked at the stats and the players. I’d say qb was more of an issue than the wr position but what do I know.

That Reddit is saying it’s a combo of Temple’s OC & Brent Key together. I’m not opposed to that. That could work.
I didn’t think any aspect of that UF offense was good, so I wouldn’t have pinned it on WR. I just found it interesting to get outside perspective on one of our hires.

As for our OC, I’m just ready to have the name at this point.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t think any aspect of that UF offense was good, so I wouldn’t have pinned it on WR. I just found it interesting to get outside perspective on one of our hires.

As for our OC, I’m just ready to have the name at this point.

I think it’s a bit pie in the sky that GT would pay 2 people OC money but you’d never know. Key could be assistant head coach, OL coach, and offensive recruiting coordinator. All of which I’m good with.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually that was part of the post. My point is that it's not really about getting all these 4* and 5* players, but the right 4* players. It's about making sure your squad is filled with at least high 3* players, because they're the ones that make the engine go. If we're able to get a couple of upper 4* players each cycle, they mesh with the strong foundation to make it a team that can challenge for championships. So, I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're right. But the second point was a little more innuendo that the first.

Everyone raves about the number of 4* players in the '07 class, when the reason it was so good was a few 4* guys and really strong 3* guys. These latter 3* guys are who we should be competing for every cycle.

Animal02

Banned
Actually that was part of the post. My point is that it's not really about getting all these 4* and 5* players, but the right 4* players. It's about making sure your squad is filled with at least high 3* players, because they're the ones that make the engine go. If we're able to get a couple of upper 4* players each cycle, they mesh with the strong foundation to make it a team that can challenge for championships. So, I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're right. But the second point was a little more innuendo that the first.

Everyone raves about the number of 4* players in the '07 class, when the reason it was so good was a few 4* guys and really strong 3* guys. These latter 3* guys are who we should be competing for every cycle.
As a side note....one of the side effects of CPJs recruiting that was overlooked by ignorant fans.....he didn't need the 4-5* OL that every run of the mill college was chasing.....which resulted in a lower ranking.....

Milwaukee

Banned
As a side note....one of the side effects of CPJs recruiting that was overlooked by ignorant fans.....he didn't need the 4-5* OL that every run of the mill college was chasing.....which resulted in a lower ranking.....

He actually did need them, and he offered them, he just couldn't land them. This is something that's crystal clear but it's still overlooked by ignorant fans.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
He actually did need them, and he offered them, he just couldn't land them. This is something that's crystal clear but it's still overlooked by ignorant fans.
I honestly don’t know the answer to this, but how many 4 stars were on our starting OL in 2014? I agree with the other poster that we proved we could have top 5 production without top 5 recruiting.

Hopefully future coaches can do that on both sides of the ball.