Will we can Brian Gregory

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
He's found a way to beat Georgie. Was he a DRad hire or a MBob hire? I can't remember and don't care enough to look it up.

The first two years we beat UGA, they were really bad. The last two years they've been average. Don't be fooled by their success. They play an extremely weak schedule.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
yep, oddly our team next yr(if we don't lose anyone) should be better

Is this like being the tallest midget in the room..... it's hard to fathom that we could be worse.

My prediction is that the ax will fall sometime on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning. Time is of the essence and connecting with potential candidates early is a good thing.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is this like being the tallest midget in the room..... it's hard to fathom that we could be worse.

My prediction is that the ax will fall sometime on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning. Time is of the essence and connecting with potential candidates early is a good thing.
This is a good point. Official announcements don't need to preclude actions being taken.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

This is assuming that we lose tomorrow. We've been pretty bad this season, but we can beat Boston College. They're 4-14, so it's not like we're going up against some juggernaut. Let's not give up just yet...we could at least win a game here.

The problem is that if we win we go on to face UNC again. I know they're the #5 seed, but I would have much rather played Duke, Louisville, or Notre Dame in round 2.

If we do lose to BC then yes, I agree. If we win (which I think we will), then I don't think there will be any announcement until Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not sure we'd see an announcement before Monday. I have no factual basis for this other than the fact I doubt the ACC wants us putting attention on a negative situation while the tournament is still in progress or before the teams going to the NCAA get a chance to revel in the moment.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure we'd see an announcement before Monday. I have no factual basis for this other than the fact I doubt the ACC wants us putting attention on a negative situation while the tournament is still in progress or before the teams going to the NCAA get a chance to revel in the moment.
I agree that anything official won't be announced until after the ACC Tourney but in reality I think we start making legitimate phone calls after the exit interview.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
This. 100%. He will probably be told over the weekend and it will be announced officially Monday afternoon.

Why would the ACC have any say at all in Tech's timeline? We may not let him go until after the tourney, but I am not sure why we would wait and I don't buy we would wait so that we don't steal the ACC tournament's thunder. After all, that is kind of the point...we are sort of irrelevant right now. Nobody going into watching Duke, UNC, UVA, UL, etc. is going to feel like they have been cheated out of a great ACC tournament experience because they are concerned Georgia Tech let Brian Gregory go.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT won't remove him until next Sunday-Monday imo. You do not fire a coach publicly during the tournament, it is not well received by the conference.
You have your yearly meeting with the coach, which is sometime after the final game and make the decision and announcement then.

if GT is going to make a change this year, then background work will already be underway. Any coach they are likely to hire is probably playing in the post season, so it may be a week or two before they can have a serious discussion anyways. General plan would be to contact agents to find out who is legitimately interested. Once you have that, you start talking to coaches after they have concluded their seasons.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
But they would talk about it during the tourney on Sportscenter and could cast the light poorly on GT when they want the spotlight on Puke, UNC, The French and The Ville.

They would rather you not discuss "the business side" of the sport during such a lucrative time.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I guess. Still doesn't really make sense to me, but I have no inside info so I trust what you guys are saying. Obviously, the important part is that background work is being done as soon as an internal decision is made. A guy like Prohm may not make the tourney this year and may not be on the market long, and it would be important to jump on that opportunity quickly if we want to pursue him as a candidate.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
For me to potentially change my mind that it's not time to move on, I'd need to see us win the ACC Tourney and then get to 2nd wknd of the NCAA tourney. It just ain't gonna happen.

Nothing can change my mind at this point. Even if the most unlikely scenario you describe above were to happen, all that would suggest is that our players were capable all along, which would be an even further indictment of Gregory's coaching.