Will we can Brian Gregory

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
A source close to the program tells me that they are working to buyout his contract AND buyout the rest of Hewitt's contract a the same time.

...questionable source, but probably 75% reliable

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With the exception of not starting Aaron Peek, BG has been a class act and good rep of GT, so I don't think we'll fire him. That said, I think there's a pretty high likelihood that we're going to relieve him of his head coaching responsibilities.

@bke1984 - the buyouts are what they are already, as contractually stipulated. Are you inferring there's fundraising going on to fully fund them, rather than have to use cash flow?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
With the exception of not starting Aaron Peek, BG has been a class act and good rep of GT, so I don't think we'll fire him. That said, I think there's a pretty high likelihood that we're going to relieve him of his head coaching responsibilities.

@bke1984 - the buyouts are what they are already, as contractually stipulated. Are you inferring there's fundraising going on to fully fund them, rather than have to use cash flow?

Yes, that's what I've been told. Basically to raise the funds to execute both buyouts at the same time in full

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Listen, I like the guy. Couldn't be a more stand-up person, but maxing out at 6 wins in ACC play over five season just ain't gettin' it done. Five years is more than enough time to right the ship. I think it's time to move on.

I'd really like to see us go after an offensive minded coach again. The defense under Hewitt and Gregory has been outstanding, but I'd like to see us score 70 or 80 more often. It's been way too long since that sort of thing has happened.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see how it won't happen. Our roster is as bad as I can ever remember. The progress was ok until this season. First year we won 4 ACC games, second year we won 6 ACC games and year three looked promising. Then Robert Carter and Trae Golden missed some time and once again, we won 6 ACC games. He deserved a fourth year, even after a disappointing 2013-2014 campaign. This year has been abysmal. Our guard play is absolutely atrocious. There is no reason to keep him around. Next year will not be any better. A change needs to be made after we get knocked out of the tournament. I like Gregory and I thought this would work but it's obvious we need to go in another direction.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If we hire one of our top targets, the boards targets that is (Howland Mack White Prohm Miller) and we somehow pull out a coup d'etat and land JB or an impact grad transfer, we are a NCAAT team next year. Having sadly or proudly (depending on the company you keep) watched every game this season I can safely say that Tadric Jackson is not the player he has shown this year. I expect a big jump from him in his sophmore year. The guy gets into the lane at-will, he will find ways to finish. Everyone thinks because Jorgy doesnt score 15 a game he isnt any good. He will never average double digits at GT, of that you can be sure. But you give this kid some finishers and an offense that actually has a purpose he will average 6 apg to probably go along with a couple steals on the other end. He is quite sneaky on defense if you watch him.

Oh and BTW, it will probably happen the Monday following the ACCT. if I had to guess. Hope that the TJs and Lammers remain at GT once he leaves.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
If we hire one of our top targets, the boards targets that is (Howland Mack White Prohm Miller) and we somehow pull out a coup d'etat and land JB or an impact grad transfer, we are a NCAAT team next year. Having sadly or proudly (depending on the company you keep) watched every game this season I can safely say that Tadric Jackson is not the player he has shown this year. I expect a big jump from him in his sophmore year. The guy gets into the lane at-will, he will find ways to finish. Everyone thinks because Jorgy doesnt score 15 a game he isnt any good. He will never average double digits at GT, of that you can be sure. But you give this kid some finishers and an offense that actually has a purpose he will average 6 apg to probably go along with a couple steals on the other end. He is quite sneaky on defense if you watch him.

Oh and BTW, it will probably happen the Monday following the ACCT. if I had to guess. Hope that the TJs and Lammers remain at GT once he leaves.

I'm not sure we would be an NCAA tournament team but I think we could possibly be an NIT team with your above scenario, also assuming we don't lose any key guys (Georges-Hunt, Mitchell). The transfer would have to be a guard/scorer. Cox is a big loss but we add Nick Jacobs from Alabama. I agree that Jorg can be a reliable PG but he needs guys around him. I think Georges-Hunt would be even better if we had another reliable option in the backcourt as well. We need Jackson to take a big leap next season.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Jacobs is better offensively than Cox. A bit more polish. My scenario also assumes Bolden will be back. A better offense hopefully ensures better, more open looks for Bolden and Q both of whom I believe are better shooters than what they have shown.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
yep, oddly our team next yr(if we don't lose anyone) should be better than this team.So if we get another no-name coach ,he has a chance to start off well(and make a name).

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Jacobs is better offensively than Cox. A bit more polish. My scenario also assumes Bolden will be back. A better offense hopefully ensures better, more open looks for Bolden and Q both of whom I believe are better shooters than what they have shown.

We have to pray that Jackson takes a big leap next year and/or we get a graduate transfer that is eligible immediately or our backcourt situation is going to be awful again. Feel alright about Jacobs, Mitchell and Lammers down low.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer

Travis already sat out a redshirt year so I don't see him transferring. Tadric and Lammers are the only 2 that I feel have a chance to transfer and I really hope neither does

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think our backcourt will be good going forward. We have 2 FR (one getting over injury) that had to go through the bumps and bruises. I expected that. That is where TJ getting hurt last season really hurt this season. They expected him to earn the starting PG slot by ACC play last year and get to play alongside Trae. Instead he misses almost the whole season and has to play his FR year without Trae and trying to get back to 100%.

I've been looking at PG stats for the last 20+ years and there is alot of promise in Jorgy. If he can get 3 assists in the ACC Tourney, he will be the first guard to get 100 assists in a season at GT since Shump's JR year. And Jorgy will have done it with a much better A:TO ratio and a much higher min per assist rate.
Jorgy's 62 assists in ACC play is the highest since Shump had 66 his FR year in 2008 (and that was against 66 TO). once again Jorgy's A:TO ratio and min per assist were much higher.

The last time a GT guard had a better A:TO rate in ACC Games was Jack in 2003 (Note i am excluding Heath this year who had a better A:TO ratio than Jorgy - but alot fewer assists).

If you can put Jorgy with one solid offensive post player and one solid perimeter scorer - he is going to rack up assists and our offense is going to look alot better. He reminds me alot of Drew Barry with a little less offense.

I think Jorgy and Tadric are likely to make significant gains as SO if we can get a solid coach who can give them a good offensive gameplan. Jacobs is a much better offensive post than this year's crew. Natural scorer.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Listen, I like the guy. Couldn't be a more stand-up person, but maxing out at 6 wins in ACC play over five season just ain't gettin' it done. Five years is more than enough time to right the ship. I think it's time to move on.

I'd really like to see us go after an offensive minded coach again. The defense under Hewitt and Gregory has been outstanding, but I'd like to see us score 70 or 80 more often. It's been way too long since that sort of thing has happened.

FIVE YEARS? Not that I amsaying we should keep him, but he has really just had 3 full years plus one year with all games on the road.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
FIVE YEARS? Not that I amsaying we should keep him, but he has really just had 3 full years plus one year with all games on the road.

Sorry, four years. 11-12, 12-13, 13-14, 14-15. It just feels like five, I guess with all the losses...

By "on the road" are you talking about the year we played at Gwinnett and Phillips? You can't exactly not count a season just because of those circumstances. We still played those games (and lost most).

slugboy

Staff member
Sorry, four years. 11-12, 12-13, 13-14, 14-15. It just feels like five, I guess with all the losses...

By "on the road" are you talking about the year we played at Gwinnett and Phillips? You can't exactly not count a season just because of those circumstances. We still played those games (and lost most).
I think you can give him a waiver for the first year--transition, messed up recruiting, no home court, etc. I think you could for another year, too. It's hard to accept excuses for all four years--you should accidentally have a mediocre NIT year in there somewhere.

I still hold out crazy hope that some magic light bulb goes on during the tournament, and there is some part of the coaching and system that will dramatically take hold, turnovers will plummet, offense will move smoothly, defense will be consistent, and we'll give everyone fits and even win out. It's the same crazy hope you'd put in a lottery ticket.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This whole concept of giving BG a pass for Year 1, imo, is a little misguided. He got the pass for Year 1 when it happened because there were no performance expectations for that year. That doesn't delay the clock for when he needed to start his rebuilding plan.

During Year 1, he was able to recruit based on hope. The hope of rebuilding GT tradition, a new arena, climbing up the ACC ranks.

In year 4, BG has all his own players that he's called his best team so far. They've busted their asses, played their hearts out, we're still left with the results we have. While I think this group of players will in fact be better next year, I just don't think BG will improve his abilities or assistants to turn this in to the 18-20 win team I thought they could be this year. If they were going to be that, they already had the chance to be and they already would be. I also think our recruiting is dead in the water, which puts us in dangerous position ahead of a critical 2016 class.

For me to potentially change my mind that it's not time to move on, I'd need to see us win the ACC Tourney and then get to 2nd wknd of the NCAA tourney. It just ain't gonna happen.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I know it's out of the kids hands but does anyone have inside ties to any of them to know how they feel about a coaching change and what impact it has on any of them staying or leaving if one is made?

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
He's found a way to beat Georgie. Was he a DRad hire or a MBob hire? I can't remember and don't care enough to look it up.