Will GT win 10+ games next season?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There is no such thing as a big four, or whatever number you want. It's the big twelve. Every game matters.
Agree, but not all 12 were such thorns in our side prior to last season. That's how the label came to be. It also signifies the contests that mean the most to outside observers.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, dressed cheese, but. Domination they just chalk up to it being our best team in a while. The way that game ended ripped the heart, guts, and soul out of the vomit eaters. It will not be forgotten in our lifetime. A couple of months back, I posted that this was the kind of game that ends streaks. No matter what uga, the refs, fortune, injuries, oblong spheroid bounces, weather, or stadium stink threw at that team, they swallowed it whole and still won. What will they fear in the future when they see dwags across the field?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Agree, but not all 12 were such thorns in our side prior to last season. That's how the label came to be. It also signifies the contests that mean the most to outside observers.
Yeah, I guess the whole thing strikes me as an amorphous standard. I mean, what has Miami really accomplished in the past decade, and why should we measure ourselves against them? VT had a great run (I think seven consecutive ten win seasons) but they've been extremely mediocre for three years now. I guess the point I'm getting at is that those four games have been cherry picked not because they represent anything, but because we've struggled in them, not including Clemson, of course. The idea is flawed because if we start losing consistently to UNC and start beating VT consistently, Carolina will suddenly become more important. And that's insane, because neither of those teams are a rival or at the top of our division. It's really just an extension of the defeatist wing of our fanbase for whom happiness can never be achieved.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The big 4 in my book are called such because they are either our biggest rivals or those games end up meaning the most. For about 8 years the GT, VT, and Miami have been the dominant force in the coastal so those games mean the most.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The big 4 in my book are called such because they are either our biggest rivals or those games end up meaning the most. For about 8 years the GT, VT, and Miami have been the dominant force in the coastal so those games mean the most.
Miami has played in the ACCCG the same number of times as Georgia Southern. Certainly that can't be the reason.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think VP S T Agnew best described that lot as "The nattering nabobs of negativity".
Don't know if I am nattering or a nabob -- too lazy to look 'em up -- but I do remember the political disposition of Agnew, and the speechwriter who coined that phrase, one he came to regret in the abject humiliation of his hasty departure. To the point: contrary as it may seem, we got those records over those years the hard way; we earned them. One can argue the records could have been better, and another can argue just as persuasively that they could have been worse, but we know what they were. Johnson might say they was what they was. Or something. If pointing out the records is negative, it is because the records were, well, negative. Johnson might also say that we had our chances, and must take ownership. I am more concerned with 2015, starting with Alcorn State.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Miami has played in the ACCCG the same number of times as Georgia Southern. Certainly that can't be the reason.

Yea Miami hasn't played in the ACCCG but their games usually throw a wrench in other schools. Like us and VT. Also they could've played in 2012 over us but excused themselves.

Yea Miami hasn't played in the ACCCG but their games usually throw a wrench in other schools. Like us and VT. Also they could've played in 2012 over us but excused themselves.
I was at this years Miami white-out. A great win for us, but the first after five straight defeats. I agree, Miami hasn't been dominant at all in recent years. But they beat us five straight. Hopefully we are starting our own streak against Miami, as well as the others in the big four.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I was at this years Miami white-out. A great win for us, but the first after five straight defeats. I agree, Miami hasn't been dominant at all in recent years. But they beat us five straight. Hopefully we are starting our own streak against Miami, as well as the others in the big four.
Whew! I'm glad Notre Dame and FSU aren't important games. I was a little concerned about them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if I am nattering or a nabob -- too lazy to look 'em up -- but I do remember the political disposition of Agnew, and the speechwriter who coined that phrase, one he came to regret in the abject humiliation of his hasty departure. To the point: contrary as it may seem, we got those records over those years the hard way; we earned them. One can argue the records could have been better, and another can argue just as persuasively that they could have been worse, but we know what they were. Johnson might say they was what they was. Or something. If pointing out the records is negative, it is because the records were, well, negative. Johnson might also say that we had our chances, and must take ownership. I am more concerned with 2015, starting with Alcorn State.
Concerned or interested?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Concerned or interested?
I am one of those guys who convinces himself the game will be lost right up to the closing bell, that some team will pull an MSU Hail Mary -- great play had we done it but it really hurt when they did it -- or get a really dreadful call as with Georgia on that bogus 95-yard "fumble" return, and steal the thing. (Truth is even watching that replay I am worried we will lose anyway. Go figure.) So I guess the answer is both. Interested to see what Johnson and staff will do with this team, more on defense than offense, really, and concerned that events will conspire to beat us anyway. But if you pin me down to this usage, "interested" should be the word.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Next year is a great year for GT fans in terms of "brand names" as another poster said. Lots of good football matchups, but the heck if they don't make you nervous as a GT fan. Even Duke and UNC, teams we've beaten every year makes us nervous because they were our only loss in the regular season last year. Add that to the "GT loses a few games we shouldn't" thing we always seem to have every year.

I think we're closer to 9 wins next season than 6 wins for 2015...but then again I said we were closer to 5 wins last year than 9 wins...so basically, don't listen to me. Ahem...