Will GT win 10+ games next season?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'll take the over.

One so obscure that it may not be recorded in the list
About 20 years ago GT traveled to Waco to play baylor. Game was ok but we could not do much till very end when we were marching down field for a TD to win. We dialed up a pass play were the tight end flared to the sideline then curled up field. The play went the other way so when the tight end caught the ball he had lots of room and was headed towards the goal. The free safety came and made a big hit driving the tight end out of bounds. However the ball just fell straight down and sat 1 foot in bounds. Some how baylor recovered the ball . ( may not qualify because TE had ball in wrong arm and no gt player was trailing the play which allowed baylor plenty of time to get to the ball) . It was one more of those - it was one more of those not meant to be gt moments.
Last year was meant to be season.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
One so obscure that it may not be recorded in the list
...................................................... However the ball just fell straight down and sat 1 foot in bounds. Some how baylor recovered the ball . ( may not qualify because TE had ball in wrong arm and no gt player was trailing the play which allowed baylor plenty of time to get to the ball) . It was one more of those - it was one more of those not meant to be gt moments.
Last year was meant to be season.
I agree that last year was a meant to be season. I fully expected us to recover the onside against FSU at the end and win by a field goal. But Buckner kicked the worse onside of the year. But the difference in the Baylor scenario and last year is that the team of last year would have had support there and some how gotten that fumble. I love the intensity , fight and never give up in this team.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't swear it without going back to the games, but I don't recall a lot of 3rd, 4th down passes to wideouts, with VT of course being the most memorable. I do recall sideline comebacks to Bbacks. And other than Smelter, still promising but not proven as a senior, we had no wideout experience in '14 or talent we were sure of, and boards were having this same conversation, though to be fair nobody knew what kind of passing we would get. Anybody saying at this point that they knew Waller was going to develop has some very selective rewriting of the record. If we got to double digit wins I would be tap dancing on a bar stool somewhere. I just want to play them first, with the team -- and fans -- focused on winning this game, today. That includes Georgia. On to Alcorn State.
You're so skeptical.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Earning and luck. People like to say you make your own luck but that's bs when it comes to injuries. Imagine if Smelter had gotten injured in game 1 instead of game 12. Imagine if he had not gotten injured at all, we probably beat FSU. It's also bs when it comes to an oblong spheroid bouncing on the ground. We had a lot of bounces go our way for a change.

Been watching GT football for 45 years. 2014 was the luckiest of them all. 7-5 was closer than fans want to objectively admit.

To the thread topic: 10 wins? 8-4 in 2015 will be a good year. If the unlucky bug bites, 6-6 could happen.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Been watching GT football for 45 years. 2014 was the luckiest of them all. 7-5 was closer than fans want to objectively admit.

To the thread topic: 10 wins? 8-4 in 2015 will be a good year. If the unlucky bug bites, 6-6 could happen.
That was possible, of course, as are both your scenarios for '15. One never knows when the ball is teed up. But using the same rationale 13-1 was possible in '14, with Duke (Is that embarrassing? We now have to equate that one to Kansas and Middle Tennessee State as the once-per-season meltdown) the only thumping the boys got. FSU and UNC were there for the taking. But the fact is, it ended 11-3. If you have watched GT that long, then you know every season has a couple or three games in which things just happen. The difference in winning and losing sometimes is capitalizing on the breaks one gets, but denying the other guy when he gets one. (I don't want to admit how long I have been watching. But longer. Keep watching because it is going to be a great ride.)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Could argue we were closer to undefeated in 2014 than 7-5.

With that said, Tech "fans" never cease to amaze me...We go 11-3, win the Orange Bowl, beat uga, etc and we talk about how lucky we were and how close we were to being 7-5...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Holy Cow. Yes 3 of our wins were pretty close wins. 1 of our losses was a very close loss and the other 2 were winnable as well.

The UGA win was razor close but the better team actually won. We dominated them, and realistically, the game should not have been close. We crushed GSU for a half and then fell asleep. The better team won that one too. The VT win was close, but they got some crazy breaks, like that fumble scoop and score. The better team won.

In the end, I think we finished about where we should have. We were not a good enough team to realistically finish without a loss. Nor were we bad enough to realistically finish 7-5. Look at it this way. If that team were to play the schedule again, where would you expect them to finish? My money would be on about the same number of wins. Maybe a couple results would flip flop but we were a double digit win team for sure.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
My fiance is one of the worst to watch tech games with because "Oh they're about to give up. We're going to get creamed. Here it goes we lose now."

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
We got to watch them grow from a team picked fifth in the division, that squeaked by Southern, mature against Virginia Tech (no one remembers 4th and 15 anymore)

You should know that as of last week my Hokie neighbor hasn't forgot about it. We were talking about the upcoming season and then, out of the blue, "Man, we HAD you guys! 4th & 15. Blah, blah, blah"

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The same Tech fans that minimize our success last season by saying we lucked out are ready to fire the coach after the seasons when the breaks/calls go against us in close games and we end up 7-5. So many times in the past we were a break here and there away from much better records yet to the fatalist Tech fan, it was a dumptster fire.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Could argue we were closer to undefeated in 2014 than 7-5.

With that said, Tech "fans" never cease to amaze me...We go 11-3, win the Orange Bowl, beat uga, etc and we talk about how lucky we were and how close we were to being 7-5...

Yeah, I've been saying this for years...the argument goes both ways. A few plays can significantly change how a season pans out.

We could have lost a few more games last year and been 7-5. Same as in 2009...could have easily lost to FSU and Wake Forest and missed the ACCCG and Orange Bowl. But we also could have beat Miami and VT in 2012 and easily been 9-5...maybe even 10-4 if you consider that the MTSU was probably a hangover from the Miami and VT meltdowns.

But you know what else...if Grandma had balls, she'd be Grandpa. This whole "could have" argument can be made for just about every season for every team in the country one way or the other. Let's focus on what did happen...we won 11 games, won one of the original four bowl games for the first time nearly 50 years, beat the pups in Athens in possible the greatest Tech game I've ever seen, and damn near won the ACC Championship.

Will we win ten next year? I don't know, but one way or the other, someone will be saying "Tech could have been #-# if..."

This year was simply incredible. It was the most fun I've had watching Tech football in my life. Next year is promising, but I'm trying not to raise my expectations to high because a simple bounce of the ball here or there could make us 12-0 or 7-5 in the regular season. Should be fun to watch though!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The same Tech fans that minimize our success last season by saying we lucked out are ready to fire the coach after the seasons when the breaks/calls go against us in close games and we end up 7-5. So many times in the past we were a break here and there away from much better records yet to the fatalist Tech fan, it was a dumptster fire.
I know the guys you're talking about. Very quiet these days, to the point I wonder if their health is okay.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Just can't get the pessimism either. Right now, almost every indicator is pointing up. Coaching stability, recruiting, momentum, returning talent, returning experience, opposition's momentum and instability, etc. But for many, it's all about how many lucky turnovers we got, injuries are bound to catch up with us this year, DL depth problems, complacency. They will be ready to pounce on the first bad break next season so they can claim to have seen it all along. IMHO, with possibly the exception of the spring of 1990, we are in the best position we have been in since the early 60's. I can hardly control my excitement over what we can do the next 3-5 years. We have always done more with less, and we are now going to see what we can do when we get 'more' as the input. The pieces are in place to build on what happened last year. It's within reach. Throw down 10+ wins and a stomping of the dwags again this year, and we will have lift off. I think we have the first real chance to take the state back from the dwags since we left the SEC. Win 3 of the next 4 from them, and watch their world collapse into a coaching carousel and a circular firing squad. All this may not happen, but a lot of effort has gone into getting us into the position where it can (maybe even should) happen.

We are at a convergence right now of talent, coaching, and schedule. It won't be easy, but carry last season's momentum into this year and beat ND, FSU, Clemson, Miami, and uga. We will be the toast of the state of Georgia and college football even with a couple of slip ups against lesser teams. The pieces are there to do this. It can be done. It must be done.

8-4, then win a bowl game? I have been watching many years as well. Winning 20 games in two years would certainly say a lot about the program. The schedule looks tough, but it always does. We should avenge our losses to Duke and Carolina, but can we expect to go 4-0 again against the "big four"? Probably not, and we have Notre Dame up there and traded NCST for FSU. Quite honestly, eight wins would be glorious.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am optimistic by nature - I never really got the idea of expecting the worst (preparing for yes, but expecting it to come no).

That said - I try to be cautiously optimistic where possible. Frankly put - this team last year made me want to believe we would win every single one. They had the swagger and the confidence to go play each snap and were expecting one of their brothers to step up with a big play every down. That is the type of chemistry and team spirit that lets guys play loose and easy. That is the kind of attitude that has the D flowing to the ball and the O doing the little things, pushing their block half a step further back, holding their line a half count longer and those small things combine to make a lot of "lucky" outcomes.

I hope we continue!

I am optimistic by nature - I never really got the idea of expecting the worst (preparing for yes, but expecting it to come no).

That said - I try to be cautiously optimistic where possible. Frankly put - this team last year made me want to believe we would win every single one. They had the swagger and the confidence to go play each snap and were expecting one of their brothers to step up with a big play every down. That is the type of chemistry and team spirit that lets guys play loose and easy. That is the kind of attitude that has the D flowing to the ball and the O doing the little things, pushing their block half a step further back, holding their line a half count longer and those small things combine to make a lot of "lucky" outcomes.

I hope we continue!
Do you think that attitudinal shift can be attributed to Coach Roof?