Will GT win 10+ games next season?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our defense will at least slightly improve over 2014. They improved in the final games of 2014 and the freshmen that did play will be bigger and more experienced.

The O will perform close to 2014 given that we have Snoddy, Andrews, and Summers returning. The big question is can the BB get up to speed quick enough.

At worst, baring injuries, the plus and minus yield a wash in total team effectiveness.

All the teams we play are beatable. None of them look like they are about to breakout (unless FSU can reload).

No doubt we have a tougher schedule with ND and FSU replacing NCS and GSU.

9 wins is very possible and 7 to 12 wins is not out of the question.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Another factor that no one has mentioned is the coaches - Johnson and Roof both have national championships under their belt - Johnson has multiple NCs. They know what it takes to keep a team playing at a high level.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Do you think that attitudinal shift can be attributed to Coach Roof?
I think he was a BIG part of it. It seems to me - and I am not near as connected as some of the super users here with direct lines to the program - that CPJ and Ch. Derrick Moore had the guys going in the right direction - but that in the past our Defense was not getting it done. That can often (and I suspect did at least in subtle ways) manifest into the O feeling like they HAD to get a big play, or Must score each possession and as that pressure built it became too much to handle. It also necessarily demoralizes the D side of the ball.

I do believe that CTR brought in a better vibe to the D and has they guys coached up and playing better ball than they would be under a different coaching staff (see the myriad examples this season of players being interviewed about big plays almost ALL citing game film and prep time as what put them there). I think that has fed off of the early success and the gains the whole team has seen from the S&C guys brought us to where we have the closer's mentality. Now when I see the guys holding up 4 fingers for the close of the 3rd Q I get pumped knowing CTR has made the right adjustments and the fitness level of our guys is going to let them compete and close down the 4th Q on both sides of the ball.

Winning breeds confidence quickly, but it is long lasting when the guys know they put in the work to get to where they are.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I love the 4th quarter, if we have been having success on offense, we can bleed all the time off the clock and just close it out. The other team knows they only have one possession left so on defense they start taking chances and putting themselves out of position, which plays right into our game. Then those dives that were picking up a solid 4 yards a pop start picking up ~8 or so, and you get those shots of frustrated DL/LB pounding the turf as we keep marching down field. That's what I THOUGHT was gonna happen against UGA, but JT just wanted to make the win more memorable. Kid's got a flair for the dramatic, huh?

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I love the 4th quarter, if we have been having success on offense, we can bleed all the time off the clock and just close it out. The other team knows they only have one possession left so on defense they start taking chances and putting themselves out of position, which plays right into our game. Then those dives that were picking up a solid 4 yards a pop start picking up ~8 or so, and you get those shots of frustrated DL/LB pounding the turf as we keep marching down field. That's what I THOUGHT was gonna happen against UGA, but JT just wanted to make the win more memorable. Kid's got a flair for the dramatic, huh?
"The TO is where fourth quarters go to die"

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It won't be easy, but carry last season's momentum into this year and beat ND, FSU, Clemson, Miami, and uga.

I love the optimism, and I agree with you, but this is what has to change. Every game is important, and we don't get extra credit for beating those teams. We learned last year just how costly losses to other teams were, so hopefully that won't happen again.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The same Tech fans that minimize our success last season by saying we lucked out are ready to fire the coach after the seasons when the breaks/calls go against us in close games and we end up 7-5. So many times in the past we were a break here and there away from much better records yet to the fatalist Tech fan, it was a dumptster fire.
Exactly this.
To my mind the 2010 season we should have been 10-3 instead of 6-7 but for some very bad breaks. The same could be said in 2011 when we probably should have been 10-3 instead of 8-5, 2012 when we should have been 9-5 instead of 7-7, and in 2013 when we probably should have been 9-4 instead of 7-6. During those seasons we had improbable heartbreaks after unbelievable bad breaks and lost to Georgia twice when we just as easily could have won, lost to VPI 3 times when we had the game won, and basically just found ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I mention this to say the obvious. If I had dared to suggest that these seasons were not nearly as bad as the final record demonstrated I would have been ridiculed mercilessly and called a Tech homer. So what do you call the opposite of a homer, someone who in the face of Tech having the fourth best season in Tech history somehow suggests that the record does not indicate the real inferiority that is there?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What's really interesting and fun to watch is opposing coaches going for it on 4th down in situations they'd never do it against other teams. They do it because they know their possessions are few and the probability of stopping our O is small.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
What's really interesting and fun to watch is opposing coaches going for it on 4th down in situations they'd never do it against other teams. They do it because they know their possessions are few and the probability of stopping our O is small.

Agreed@DCS it's exponentially harder for opposing teams' players to execute those plays in the moment - they know the time is ticking and the don't have the live game reps that bring calm and poise to the offense we run.

Exactly this.
To my mind the 2010 season we should have been 10-3 instead of 6-7 but for some very bad breaks. The same could be said in 2011 when we probably should have been 10-3 instead of 8-5, 2012 when we should have been 9-5 instead of 7-7, and in 2013 when we probably should have been 9-4 instead of 7-6. During those seasons we had improbable heartbreaks after unbelievable bad breaks and lost to Georgia twice when we just as easily could have won, lost to VPI 3 times when we had the game won, and basically just found ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I mention this to say the obvious. If I had dared to suggest that these seasons were not nearly as bad as the final record demonstrated I would have been ridiculed mercilessly and called a Tech homer. So what do you call the opposite of a homer, someone who in the face of Tech having the fourth best season in Tech history somehow suggests that the record does not indicate the real inferiority that is there?
Did 2014 erase 1-15 ? Seriously, one win in four seasons along with a lone bowl win was not just the bounce of the ball.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Did 2014 erase 1-15 ? Seriously, one win in four seasons along with a lone bowl win was not just the bounce of the ball.

So lets look back. 1-3 in bowl games. An OT loss to Utah when we just missed a FG at the end of regulation, plus one TD losses in two other games.
Against the Big 4: An OT loss where we led with seconds left and two losses by a TD to VT, an OT loss to Miami, a 2OT loss to uga and a loss by a missed XP and an intentional TD, one Clemson win

Several bounces of the ball in there looks like to me plus brain farts by Sneezy and Orwin against VT and Miami that cost us winnable games. Not saying we would have won all those close games, but we damn sure lost all the close ones. Nine games we were very close to winning. Win four or five of those and things look much different. This year, the bounces began to even out and we went 5-0. In 9 months, we will know which string is the aberration.

ultimatejacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Depends on a lot of things really:

--How close the team is this year...do they play for each other? Do they never give up like last year? What is the psyche?
--How hard do the guys work to get better?
--How lucky will we be with injuries to key positions, turnovers, good/bad calls, etc. Will we be as resilient and in-the-moment as we were last year when unfortunate stuff happens?
--Will players step up at key positions like AB, WR?
--Will established players keep working and getting better (example: Laskey improving his pass blocking before last season)?
--How good will the depth be?

IMO we should be a pretty good team next year. Record-wise though we could win 7-8 or 10-12....just have to see how it shakes out. Certainly a 10-win season is doable with hard work and at least average luck.

Long time lurker, first time poster.
This is a tough question. On the one hand I agree with "Ballin" about the schedule up to a point. True, some of those ''Big Four" teams might be a little shaky but the fact is most of them like UGA, Clemson, Miami just reload. In a word they are factories with all the advantages that have been discussed ad nauseum. Now instead of a Big Four we have a Big Five with Notre Dame thrown in. As long as Bud Foster is the DC at Virginia Tech they are going to be tough for us. I swear the man must spend every waking moment obsessed with stopping the triple option. No matter on to positives: Best offensive line in Johnson's tenure. Big, fast experienced with lots of depth. A quarterback tailor made for this offense whose gets to the corner in a blink. The best defense in quite some time. There, I said it, we will be much better on defense than most people think. A lot depends upon Hunt Days (what is his name now?) and dare I say it? Kallon. Can Harrell replace Neeley? Sure. Can someone step up for IJ Absolutely! As Inside LB has noted there are a lot of ifs. Let's address them one at a time

Closeness of the team? Remains to be seen but I think the groundwork has been laid. JT and Burden on offense White, Milton, Davis and Gattis on defense should provide the leadership
How hard do they work to get better? Don't know but last year's team, in my humble opinion reached its potential better than any team since 1990.
Injuries. Potentially a disaster at certain positions particularly B back and A back. Can probably handle some injuries at linebacker and offensive line and safety
A back and wide receiver: Next man up! has never been more true than this year at these two positions. We lost 5 (count em) A backs and 2 wide receivers. During the Miami game, Brock Huraud (spelling?) said: "If there is a better perimeter blocking team in America, I would like to see them" Another Miami defensive back just went out holding his shoulder or arm
Established player performance: It is easy to become complacent after a great season. How much do they want it? Leadership? Can the seniors recapture the magic?
Depth: Will be the best in Johnson's tenure overall but some positions cannot afford attrition of any kind. B back especially

I will add one caveat: We were in some measure lucky last year but make no mistake that was a damn good football team. All over America there were defensive coordinators sighing with relief that they did not have to face that offense. Career killers is what they were. Can we do it again? History says no. 1990 was followed by a disappointing 1991 and so on. This group has a chance to do something no Tech team has done in about 50 years. Build on the foundation laid by the previous team and take the next step. The schedule is daunting but the rewards will be great if we get a few lucky bounces and improve at certain positions especially defense. Funny thing, each year I am apprehensive about some position or another but this year I think we are in really good shape. I like playing two cupcakes early to get out feet wet and I like having experience at quarterback, shut down corners, and missile seeking linebackers. Lots to be excited about.

As always THWGA and Go Yellow Jackets

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Exactly this. ...

I think VP S T Agnew best described that lot as "The nattering nabobs of negativity".

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is a tough question. On the one hand I agree with "Ballin" about the schedule up to a point. True, some of those ''Big Four" teams might be a little shaky but the fact is most of them like UGA, Clemson, Miami just reload. In a word they are factories with all the advantages that have been discussed ad nauseum. Now instead of a Big Four we have a Big Five with Notre Dame thrown in. As long as Bud Foster is the DC at Virginia Tech they are going to be tough for us. I swear the man must spend every waking moment obsessed with stopping the triple option. No matter on to positives: Best offensive line in Johnson's tenure. Big, fast experienced with lots of depth. A quarterback tailor made for this offense whose gets to the corner in a blink. The best defense in quite some time. There, I said it, we will be much better on defense than most people think. A lot depends upon Hunt Days (what is his name now?) and dare I say it? Kallon. Can Harrell replace Neeley? Sure. Can someone step up for IJ Absolutely! As Inside LB has noted there are a lot of ifs. Let's address them one at a time

Closeness of the team? Remains to be seen but I think the groundwork has been laid. JT and Burden on offense White, Milton, Davis and Gattis on defense should provide the leadership
How hard do they work to get better? Don't know but last year's team, in my humble opinion reached its potential better than any team since 1990.
Injuries. Potentially a disaster at certain positions particularly B back and A back. Can probably handle some injuries at linebacker and offensive line and safety
A back and wide receiver: Next man up! has never been more true than this year at these two positions. We lost 5 (count em) A backs and 2 wide receivers. During the Miami game, Brock Huraud (spelling?) said: "If there is a better perimeter blocking team in America, I would like to see them" Another Miami defensive back just went out holding his shoulder or arm
Established player performance: It is easy to become complacent after a great season. How much do they want it? Leadership? Can the seniors recapture the magic?
Depth: Will be the best in Johnson's tenure overall but some positions cannot afford attrition of any kind. B back especially

I will add one caveat: We were in some measure lucky last year but make no mistake that was a damn good football team. All over America there were defensive coordinators sighing with relief that they did not have to face that offense. Career killers is what they were. Can we do it again? History says no. 1990 was followed by a disappointing 1991 and so on. This group has a chance to do something no Tech team has done in about 50 years. Build on the foundation laid by the previous team and take the next step. The schedule is daunting but the rewards will be great if we get a few lucky bounces and improve at certain positions especially defense. Funny thing, each year I am apprehensive about some position or another but this year I think we are in really good shape. I like playing two cupcakes early to get out feet wet and I like having experience at quarterback, shut down corners, and missile seeking linebackers. Lots to be excited about.

You got promise.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Don't forget we get FSU, too. So your "big 5" is really a big 6.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Ultimate Jacket has a point, "Next Man Up". Against uga, we were already down Snoddy, Smelter went out before we even scored, Days sat out the 4th qtr, and I think Zenon did also. And the offense didn't miss a beat. Against FSU and MSU, we were missing Smelter, Snoddy, and Zenon. Somehow, we developed depth without anyone knowing it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ultimate Jacket has a point, "Next Man Up". Against uga, we were already down Snoddy, Smelter went out before we even scored, Days sat out the 4th qtr, and I think Zenon did also. And the offense didn't miss a beat. Against FSU and MSU, we were missing Smelter, Snoddy, and Zenon. Somehow, we developed depth without anyone knowing it.
For the most part I agree. The one thing most people forget is how Uga stoned us on that possession following the recovered kickoff, the one that ended in JT's pass/fumble. If we continue to move the ball right there and punch it in, the game has a whole different mark in history. It no longer remains the miracle comback, it becomes the domination of the mongrels.