Why should we really expect to be good????

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Obvious troll because the OP has to claim to be a Tech fan on a Tech fan message board and seems really uneducated based on his or her writing style. Probably feels inadequate because their life sucks and therefore get their high off of trying to start stuff online. My assumption is that OP is a dawg fan or a Vol fan.
He's been a member since 2015 and he's just now starting to troll? Come on, give the guy or girl a break. They asked a serious question, they aren't on here asking other stuff like a troll would do.

Ok, let's just address UNC last year.
1. UNC offense was really good. Trubinsky was on target, they had great receivers and their running backs were stout. The put up 636 yards, 283 on the ground.
2. That said our offense was good that day as well. Not sure where you come up with this idea that they stopped us. 518 yards 374, rushing and we held the ball 5 minutes more.
3. What happened. Well first they scored a touch down or field goal on 8 out of 9 possessions. We were somewhat holding serve until 2 fumbles in the second half put the game out of reach.

If we had a confused offense that day then they sure were productively confused. Normal teams score at about a 50% rate on possessions against us and if we don't fumble we win. Our defense that day was the issue and it was after that game that Roof simplified, and the numbers show.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I've been watching some youtube video of only our offensive plays in several games last year. Video that shows only our offensive plays back to back for the entire game. I was surprised how often we look chaotic and how often our offensive line looks porous, especially in the North Carolina game last year in which we lost 48-20. I'm a big TECH fan, huge fan of of the Triple Option and CPJ but I have some honest questions of you guys:
1. Why was NC able to make us look so bad offensively?
2. Why won't other teams expect to have the same success defensively against us as did NC?
3. Why should we really expect to be better this year?

I cannot add much to what others have already said but Carolina had a great day with a first round quarterback who was capable of doing that to just about anyone. This is the same UNC team that looked "chaotic" against UGA in the first game and gave away a game they should have won. Other teams have and can shut us down even worse than UNC. In years past, Iowa, LSU, Miami (multiple times), UGA, Virginia Tech, (multiple times) have made us look far worse than Carolina did last year. But the simple answer to question two is that UNC doesn't have Bud Foster and can't clone Luther Maddy. Question 3 other posters have answered that much clearer and in depth than I could (see RLR). I will say that replacing your quarterback, center, and best defensive lineman and best linebacker can be challenging but many of our opponents have that and much else to replace. (Tennessee, UNC, Clemson, Virginia Tech, all have near catastrophic graduation and otherwise losses to contend with)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ok, let's just address UNC last year.
1. UNC offense was really good. Trubinsky was on target, they had great receivers and their running backs were stout. The put up 636 yards, 283 on the ground.
2. That said our offense was good that day as well. Not sure where you come up with this idea that they stopped us. 518 yards 374, rushing and we held the ball 5 minutes more.
3. What happened. Well first they scored a touch down or field goal on 8 out of 9 possessions. We were somewhat holding serve until 2 fumbles in the second half put the game out of reach.

If we had a confused offense that day then they sure were productively confused. Normal teams score at about a 50% rate on possessions against us and if we don't fumble we win. Our defense that day was the issue and it was after that game that Roof simplified, and the numbers show.
It was after that game that CPJ said if we are going to rush the passer than we are going all out. We got a lot more aggressive after that.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This may fit here... sometimes you have to look backwards to know what to expect forwards...

GT Football Review

· 11 and 3 including a OB win and a trip to the ACC Championship

· New red shirt sophomore QB

· Senior laden team on offense and on defense including 2015 starting rookie Patriot Shaq Mason

· Offense FEI rank of #2

· Defensive FEI rank of #76

· Special Teams rank of #38

· Strength of schedule rank #21

· 3 and 9 missing out on a bowl game

· Returning 2014 Orange Bowl MVP QB

· Up to 7 starting true freshman on the offense (replacement of all skill positions)

· 7 injuries in the Aback position alone

· Complete change over of the defensive backfield

· Offensive FEI rank of #87

· Defensive FEI rank of #87

· Special Teams rank of #32

· Strength of schedule rank #26

· 9 and 4 including wins over 3 SEC teams

· Returning redshirt senior QB

· Up to 3 true freshman starting on the offensive line

· Continued experience of young positions on offense and defense

· Second lowest in ACC sacks

· 118th in 3rd down conversions

· Offensive FEI rank of #21

· Defensive FEI rank of #94

· Special Teams rank of #18

· Strength of schedule rank #35

· Replacing QB with a redshirt junior

· Dedrick Mills all ACC running back

· Junior/Senior returning defensive backfield

· Sophomore/Junior OL

· Proven Junior/Senior offensive skill positions

· Questions on DL and LB corps given 2016 results and the loss of leader in tackles and leader in sacks

· Question of complexity of defensive scheme versus playing fast

Well, at least in 2015 you could say we were consistent with FEI rankings of 87 in both offense and defense. SOS rank in 2016 was noticeably weaker than other years even with (SEC SPEED) in three games. I guess not playing FSU does that.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I cannot add much to what others have already said but Carolina had a great day with a first round quarterback who was capable of doing that to just about anyone. This is the same UNC team that looked "chaotic" against UGA in the first game and gave away a game they should have won. Other teams have and can shut us down even worse than UNC. In years past, Iowa, LSU, Miami (multiple times), UGA, Virginia Tech, (multiple times) have made us look far worse than Carolina did last year. But the simple answer to question two is that UNC doesn't have Bud Foster and can't clone Luther Maddy. Question 3 other posters have answered that much clearer and in depth than I could (see RLR). I will say that replacing your quarterback, center, and best defensive lineman and best linebacker can be challenging but many of our opponents have that and much else to replace. (Tennessee, UNC, Clemson, Virginia Tech, all have near catastrophic graduation and otherwise losses to contend with)

Correction: Most teams (not UNC) don't have Bud Foster and can't clone Luther Maddy. My theory is that stopping Georgia Tech starts with having stout defensive tackles but, of course, it helps to have other pieces like a Kam Chancellor to play with.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I've been watching some youtube video of only our offensive plays in several games last year. Video that shows only our offensive plays back to back for the entire game. I was surprised how often we look chaotic and how often our offensive line looks porous, especially in the North Carolina game last year in which we lost 48-20. I'm a big TECH fan, huge fan of of the Triple Option and CPJ but I have some honest questions of you guys:
1. Why was NC able to make us look so bad offensively?
2. Why won't other teams expect to have the same success defensively against us as did NC?
3. Why should we really expect to be better this year?
This may seem trite, but it's because nobody else did the rest of last year. The UNC film was available right away, yet gt's offense was effective the rest of the year.

It's possible that after 30 years, UNC (of all teams) finally figured out THE way to defend coach Johnson's offense, but probably more likely is that they had a good day and gt had a bad one. I mean, it's football. Bad days happen from time to time. As long as the good days far outnumber the bad ones, I wouldn't worry overmuch.

This may seem trite, but it's because nobody else did the rest of last year. The UNC film was available right away, yet gt's offense was effective the rest of the year.

It's possible that after 30 years, UNC (of all teams) finally figured out THE way to defend coach Johnson's offense, but probably more likely is that they had a good day and gt had a bad one. I mean, it's football. Bad days happen from time to time. As long as the good days far outnumber the bad ones, I wouldn't worry overmuch.
518 yards, 374 rushing, 24 first downs, TOP 33 minutes, if that I stopping us then watch out when we are not stopped.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The fact that the OP has not returned to answer replies and has only 11 messages since 2015 helps me believe he or she is a troll.
But is just now trolling? Trolls come back. Whoever it is probably doesnt feel confident in coming back because if they were being sincere, and maybe not knowing much about football some of y'all were being complete jerks. Point is you have no clue if they were a troll, nor do I know. But if they aren't it's pretty crazy to think people would trash another like y'all have.

northgajacket

Banned
But is just now trolling? Trolls come back. Whoever it is probably doesnt feel confident in coming back because if they were being sincere, and maybe not knowing much about football some of y'all were being complete jerks. Point is you have no clue if they were a troll, nor do I know. But if they aren't it's pretty crazy to think people would trash another like y'all have.

Except trolls usually shut up when they realize the ones they are trolling actually have a brain and can come back with facts to make them feel like an idiot. I'm not the only one on here who believes OP is a troll.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Except trolls usually shut up when they realize the ones they are trolling actually have a brain and can come back with facts to make them feel like an idiot. I'm not the only one on here who believes OP is a troll.
I get this, my point is none of us know. And it's a little weird that he would just now start trolling with an account since 2015.

northgajacket

Banned
For what it's worth, I also thought it was a reasonable question

IMO, it would have been more reasonable if they used the stats from games later in the season, There were four more games after UNC and Tech won all of them. Now had OP pointed out how the defense didn't look the best in the COFH game then I would find that more reasonable.