Why should we really expect to be good????

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
I've been watching some youtube video of only our offensive plays in several games last year. Video that shows only our offensive plays back to back for the entire game. I was surprised how often we look chaotic and how often our offensive line looks porous, especially in the North Carolina game last year in which we lost 48-20. I'm a big TECH fan, huge fan of of the Triple Option and CPJ but I have some honest questions of you guys:
1. Why was NC able to make us look so bad offensively?
2. Why won't other teams expect to have the same success defensively against us as did NC?
3. Why should we really expect to be better this year?

JACKetsfan

Georgia Tech Fan
I've been watching some youtube video of only our offensive plays in several games last year. Video that shows only our offensive plays back to back for the entire game. I was surprised how often we look chaotic and how often our offensive line looks porous, especially in the North Carolina game last year in which we lost 48-20. I'm a big TECH fan, huge fan of of the Triple Option and CPJ but I have some honest questions of you guys:
2. Why won't other teams expect to have the same success defensively against us as did NC?

Because we have a kick *** freshman class who are ready for battle along with the experience of upperclassmen key word...depth and talent. Get ready it's going to be a big year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milwaukee

Banned

Then keep watching video...Johnson has 9 years of footage for you to breakdown. We got annihilated vs UNC, it just wasn't our day.

Just stop.

If I'm being defensive then I apologize, but your post doesn't feel genuine.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
1: We showed the rest of the season that the UNC game was not the norm, imo it was just an off game.
2: because we have been stopped in the past and then turn around the next year and ball out. Just when they think they have us figured out, BAM we put up 40.
3: more experience, the OL last year had 3 true freshman who started atleast one game. Freshman all American B back, arguably the best all around group of a backs. An approving pass rush, and all DB's returning. But most of all when CPJ is confident, you can be confident.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

You think we looked "chaotic," but we had 518 yards of offense in the NC game. Most in the first half before Thomas got hurt iirc.

You're second question sounds like the post LSU nonsense from 2008 and makes me think you're a troll. To answer it, ask VT, UGA, and UK. They all played us after UNC and all got beat.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
  1. Oline (3 projected starters started games as freshmen last year. Will Braun is a solid, experienced leader. Marshall is a senior who can play anywhere on the line. Shamire can shine as the 3rd guard (huge in our offense). I think Hansen can contribute off the bench this year)
  2. Mills (Future NFL RB; star player on GT from his first spring practice as a high school senior. entering his 2nd year)
  3. AB squad so deep and talented that it makes you wish traders where allowed in college football
  4. Jeune is a WR-1; Brad Stewart is reliable; a 6-5 220 freak basketball player is our WR-4
  5. Best DL we've seen in a long time. Simmons is the best pass rusher since sneezy.
  6. we actually have DTs. like 3+ of them. like real DTs not SDEs who are forced to play DT by virture of being the only guy over 250. and they are talented and have different skillsets.
  7. fast LBs, albeit unproven
  8. 2 6'1+ CBs; austin twins; AJ gray; Griffin; like 20 other dbs who i'm comfortable playing this year
  9. Best damn punter this side of the mississippi
  10. George P. Burdell

northgajacket

Banned
Then keep watching video...Johnson has 9 years of footage for you to breakdown. We got annihilated vs UNC, it just wasn't our day.

Just stop.

If I'm being defensive then I apologize, but your post doesn't feel genuine.

I think this guy is nothing more than a troll.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This may fit here... sometimes you have to look backwards to know what to expect forwards...

GT Football Review

· 11 and 3 including a OB win and a trip to the ACC Championship

· New red shirt sophomore QB

· Senior laden team on offense and on defense including 2015 starting rookie Patriot Shaq Mason

· Offense FEI rank of #2

· Defensive FEI rank of #76

· Special Teams rank of #38

· Strength of schedule rank #21

· 3 and 9 missing out on a bowl game

· Returning 2014 Orange Bowl MVP QB

· Up to 7 starting true freshman on the offense (replacement of all skill positions)

· 7 injuries in the Aback position alone

· Complete change over of the defensive backfield

· Offensive FEI rank of #87

· Defensive FEI rank of #87

· Special Teams rank of #32

· Strength of schedule rank #26

· 9 and 4 including wins over 3 SEC teams

· Returning redshirt senior QB

· Up to 3 true freshman starting on the offensive line

· Continued experience of young positions on offense and defense

· Second lowest in ACC sacks

· 118th in 3rd down conversions

· Offensive FEI rank of #21

· Defensive FEI rank of #94

· Special Teams rank of #18

· Strength of schedule rank #35

· Replacing QB with a redshirt junior

· Dedrick Mills all ACC running back

· Junior/Senior returning defensive backfield

· Sophomore/Junior OL

· Proven Junior/Senior offensive skill positions

· Questions on DL and LB corps given 2016 results and the loss of leader in tackles and leader in sacks

· Question of complexity of defensive scheme versus playing fast

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Guys his question wasn't even that bad.... if he was a troll he's not doing a very good job, and I would hope he had better things to talk bad about then what he mentioned.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the one injury in 2015 that few people talk about but may have had the biggest impact was Byerly. JT knew he did not have an experienced backup the entire season and I'm sure it wore on him and had to affect his play to some extent.

Yjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
  1. Oline (3 projected starters started games as freshmen last year. Will Braun is a solid, experienced leader. Marshall is a senior who can play anywhere on the line. Shamire can shine as the 3rd guard (huge in our offense). I think Hansen can contribute off the bench this year)
  2. Mills (Future NFL RB; star player on GT from his first spring practice as a high school senior. entering his 2nd year)
  3. AB squad so deep and talented that it makes you wish traders where allowed in college football
  4. Jeune is a WR-1; Brad Stewart is reliable; a 6-5 220 freak basketball player is our WR-4
  5. Best DL we've seen in a long time. Simmons is the best pass rusher since sneezy.
  6. we actually have DTs. like 3+ of them. like real DTs not SDEs who are forced to play DT by virture of being the only guy over 250. and they are talented and have different skillsets.
  7. fast LBs, albeit unproven
  8. 2 6'1+ CBs; austin twins; AJ gray; Griffin; like 20 other dbs who i'm comfortable playing this year
  9. Best damn punter this side of the mississippi
  10. George P. Burdell
You had me at OLine... Go Jackets!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We should expect to be good this year since all teams expect to be good in the pre-season. It's Lake Woebegone.

If good is 9 wins, I think we'll be good. We'll have good days and bad days, like UNC was bad or VT was good. Those games were a week apart. It's football.

My more definitive answer will come when I get around to posting "113 Years of GT Football".

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not troll and that's an honest question. Because, it's not an unfair question.

IMHO
1. "Why was NC able to make us look so bad offensively?" - The last two years there have been several games where the OL missed a huge number of blocks. Tech loses those games. CPJ has commented on this numerous times. The Notre Dame game sticks out in my head. To me, it looks like opposing defenses have come up with new ways to try to confuse the blocking assignments. They're lining up the D in unusual positions. So, when the play develops in real time it's hard for Tech's blockers to identify whether the guy in front of them is "their guy" to block. UNC was one of those games. It was just a sloppy day. Still, Tech had 518 yards of offense.
2. "Why won't other teams expect to have the same success defensively against us as did NC?" - I'm sure they will. Good luck with that.
3. "Why should we really expect to be better this year?" - Should we? We won 9 games last year, that's pretty good. I'd take that same result on a tougher schedule. But: The OL got better as the year went along and brings back most of the starters. The team overall is more experienced. There's some very talented players coming up. I personally believe that QB will be a strength for us this year. We'll miss JT5 at times, for sure. But I believe Matthew Jordan will be the starter and he brings a very different leadership style and playing style. I think the team will respond well to it.