Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
MyAJC article
Sugiura: How much influence does apparel have in basketball recruiting?
“Uniform look and the amount of shoes you get or what type of shoe you’re wearing, all that stuff matters when you’re dealing with a 17-year-old guy,” Pastner said.
Chris Williams coaches Game Elite, a Georgia-based team of rising juniors, many of whom have received offers from Tech.

Leaving Russell “will definitely help them get higher-tier kids, like five-star kids, in there,” he said. “At the end of the day, kids still look at what they’ve got to wear, regardless.”

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man, feel bad for Russell. I think social media has really hastened Russell's fall given that recruits and players can really keep up with what's going on with their peers and friends at other schools. It's like the first week of class every day on social media....teams and players showing off their new kicks and swag.

Russell never really positioned themselves to take advantage of the schools they had with better design and innovation. I'll shed a tear for them, then wipe it away with the sleeve of my Nike polo...

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This is 100% truth. No matter what anyone says about RA not making a difference or we shouldn't take kids that care about that kind of stuff are out of touch with reality now days. I help with an AAU team in Flint and they're sponsored by UA. All the kids talk about is uniforms, shoes and apparel. Hell, these 13
-17 year olds constantly get on me because we wear Russell. I know it would've influenced me 20 years ago when I was trying to figure out where I wanted to play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is 100% truth. No matter what anyone says about RA not making a difference or we shouldn't take kids that care about that kind of stuff are out of touch with reality now days. I help with an AAU team in Flint and they're sponsored by UA. All the kids talk about is uniforms, shoes and apparel. Hell, these 13
-17 year olds constantly get on me because we wear Russell. I know it would've influenced me 20 years ago when I was trying to figure out where I wanted to play.

Not sure why anyone argues that point anymore. Our own head basketball coach has flat out said it, our AD pretty much says it without saying it, recruits have flat out said it, we've got Ex-football players who've flat out said it, we have other team's coaches saying it affects their recruiting.

Is it stupid that kids factor in what they wear and who it's from? Yes...but to deny it's a factor is pretty much just as ignorant at this point.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not sure why anyone argues that point anymore. Our own head basketball coach has flat out said it, our AD pretty much says it without saying it, recruits have flat out said it, we've got Ex-football players who've flat out said it, we have other team's coaches saying it affects their recruiting.

Is it stupid that kids factor in what they wear and who it's from? Yes...but to deny it's a factor is pretty much just as ignorant at this point.

There's a lot of old dudes among us who can't wrap their GT brain around the fact that it matters to these kids and that, by extension, it kinda has to matter to fans.

I call them smart-dummies behind their backs. Did I say that out loud? :whistle:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There's a lot of old dudes among us who can't wrap their GT brain around the fact that it matters to these kids and that, by extension, it kinda has to matter to fans.

I call them smart-dummies behind their backs. Did I say that out loud? :whistle:

My football coach use to joke around calling me "The dumbest smart person on the team..."

At least I think he was joking. Ahem.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
My old basketball coach would tell some of us
(Not me of course) during practice or a game if we F'd up (Again, not me) "You're to dumb to do something that stupid!"

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My old basketball coach would tell some of us
(Not me of course) during practice or a game if we F'd up (Again, not me) "You're to dumb to do something that stupid!"

My coach got to calling the position group "my dumbasses" (for various reasons). So "the dumbest smart person" on the team was a slight improvement...

He use to openly joke to all of us "You've got to be really dumb to voluntarily play WR in a Wing-T offense! Go play DB or kicker...it'll be more fun. "

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's probably joking about playing football. Meant to say 'tiddlywinks'?

:D

Simmer down wannabe ice cream elitist. The ex-HS jocks re-living their glory days are having a discussion. When eating crappy ice cream becomes a recognized sport in HS we'll let you join the discussion.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Simmer down wannabe ice cream elitist. The ex-HS jocks re-living their glory days are having a discussion. When eating crappy ice cream becomes a recognized sport in HS we'll let you join the discussion.

Yeah, that 4-TD game was magical, amirite? ;)

Sigh, man I miss Married with Childeren. Shiiii, I miss good TV shows in general. I stumbled into about 4 minutes of some Real(sic) Housewives show a few weeks ago and it restored my disdain for humanity in general. :unsure:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I once scored 13 points in a game in middle school basketball.

I was all about Nike.

Bro, it has to be at least HS level if you're going to talk about your glory days. Or else @kg01 is going to regale us with all those times in 5th grade he swished those paper balls in the trash can during science class...while wearing his LA Gear shoes, of course.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bro, it has to be at least HS level if you're going to talk about your glory days. Or else @kg01 is going to regale us with all those times in 5th grade he swished those paper balls in the trash can during science class...while wearing his LA Gear shoes, of course.

Lies ... I straight torched some church league games tho. Stay in yo' lane, techster. #BBBrand

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I discovered weed in high school. Basketball and baseball went away in favor of that damn hippy sport soccah..

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I once scored 72 in a single game...

...too bad it was golf...

...and it was only 9 holes...

I last played about two years ago (right after I bought new Taylor Mades) at Wilmington Muni.

Lost 3 sleeves of balls and shot triple digits (PGA scoring)....on the front nine.

I have had a gorgeous set of clubs in my closet for the last two years