Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The AD has made it clear that it is not just about the $$. it is about which company is willing to partner with us from a marketing branding standpoint and also provide more gear and stuff to the SA's - which Russell does little of.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Red is right. I was at a function with someone very high up in the AA last week. They indicated two things. First, it is about the kids and their swag to a large degree. Uniforms, work out clothes, walking around clothes, etc. They want good quality stuff with a name brand in it. Not Russell. He actually stated that our coaches are recruiting with an arm tied behind their back with Russell and that it is amazing that we recruit as well as we do.

For those of you who say it is all the same stuff and kids are shallow, you're wrong. It does matter. Will it lead to a bunch of 5 *s signing with us? Not necessarily, but it will help.

Other thing is stock prices are down for the big three, so this isn't the best time to negotiate. Throw in border taxes and other uncertainties and we may do a shorter deal so we can relook in a few years. A year ago would've been better timing to negotiate.

GTFLETCH

Banned
The AD has made it clear that it is not just about the $$. it is about which company is willing to partner with us from a marketing branding standpoint and also provide more gear and stuff to the SA's - which Russell does little of.
Again I have no issues with this, within the "new deal" the AD and GTAA will be looking at not just Cash, but also Marketing items/allowances.... Sounds pretty standard... Sounds great, and any Marketing/Branding provided by the new company (Nike/UA/Adidas) will be as good as cash anyway as they will be able save $$ or redirected the budgeted GT money slotted for marketing say help with recruiting???

Also please note... the new deal will be announced at 5 years 10M or whatever it is, so until you can get a copy and see it and break it down...folks will not even know the cash value or Marketing/Branding products provided.

GTFLETCH

Banned
For those of you who say it is all the same stuff and kids are shallow, you're wrong. It does matter. Will it lead to a bunch of 5 *s signing with us? Not necessarily, but it will help.

I do not think the kids are shallow, I think GTAA should honor the kids who have given their time and talents. I just think in 2008 RA was the only company at the table, NC State has had trouble getting Nike to the table during their last two rounds of negotiations. What everyone is saying about the kids is 100% true, Nike rules!!!!!!!!! Then the rest... So the question is has the SA racked and stacked their top three in order and will the AD and GTAA be able to get all three to make an offer???

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Adidas please..we can swim in their basketball pool in AAU and take a look at what they did with Miamis football home unis this year. They went back to the 80s Miami look and did a great job.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Adidas please..we can swim in their basketball pool in AAU and take a look at what they did with Miamis football home unis this year. They went back to the 80s Miami look and did a great job.

Haven't participated much in this thread but count me in for Adidas. Love what they've done down here at GSU. For every curmudgeon that complains about chrome helmets or camo, there's 50 kids who are going nuts every time they unveil a special uni combo. For me, that's all that matters. I couldn't care less if they uni looks good to ME... I want my son to love it!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
EZPass on adidas which, in basketball parlance, is German for 'shredded knees'. I took 3 years of German so I can confirm that translation.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That would explain Derrick Rose's issues then. lol.

.. and TMac and Gallinari and Kevin Garnett ... and guess what shoes Kevin Ware was wearing when his leg exploded in the NCAA tourney ...

It's just an urban (myth) legend so I just think it's kinda funny.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Other thing is stock prices are down for the big three, so this isn't the best time to negotiate. Throw in border taxes and other uncertainties and we may do a shorter deal so we can relook in a few years. A year ago would've been better timing to negotiate.

The previous admins screwed GT when they didn't put a market "look in" clause to the RA deal. That clause is why you see teams like Michigan, Notre Dame, UCLA, etc re-up with the shoe companies every 3-5 years and get better and better deals.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh my...I spoke too soon. The admins who originally made the deal with RA DID have a type of market "look in" clause...our AD at the time chose not to put GT on the market. So Radakovich is a f'ing toolshed for that one.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've been calling him LazyAD for years for a reason.

Makes you wonder if he knowingly did that with the intent to create more distance between GT and Clemson in terms of competitive balance...since you know, he was going to GT's biggest ACC rival, and arguably Clemson biggest ACC rival at the time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Makes you wonder if he knowingly did that with the intent to create more distance between GT and Clemson in terms of competitive balance...since you know, he was going to GT's biggest ACC rival, and arguably Clemson biggest ACC rival at the time.

Too bad we can't sue his arse for incompetence or something.