Who is your GT Fantasy Football Coach?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s Monken as well. Experienced with the offense, 0.600 wpct. Would be seamless.

Plus, we could afford him.

I wonder though, how exciting he is. Can he rev up the fan base?

midga fan

Georgia Tech Fan
Volnation is going batsh&t crazy trying to figure out who their next coach will be. Will it be John Gruden? Dan Mullen? Chip Kelly? Scott Frost?

We have a stable program, so GT doesn’t get any of the insanity. So I’m wondering, ... if CPJ decided to retire in two years, who should our next coach be ... and why?

Jeff Monken

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Franklin did very well at Vanderbilt which is a very tough school academically. David Shaw would be great because if you can win at Stanford you can win at GT
Franklin did very well on the field at Vandy but they had a TON of off-the-field issues when he was there. So for me he's a pass (we couldn't outbid Penn State realistically anyway).

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Bill O'Brien would definitely be my first call. I'm generally not a fan of bringing in a guy connected to your program simply because he is part of the family, but I think something like that would benefit Tech more than bigger schools. I don't see him leaving the NFL any time soon but it's a call I think you have to make. Maybe he'll hire Godsey back as his QB coach and we can have a big family reunion.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Of the realistic options Monken is the obvious choice, however I'm not so sure he'd come here. Sometimes I wonder if CPJ regrets leaving Navy for all the heartache he's had to put up with here. At Army, Monken has the most job security of any college coach just about. He doesn't have to play recruiting games. He doesn't have to worry about discipline issues and he doesn't really have to worry about kids with a me-first mentality. Transfers aren't an issue. He's a federal employee that carries with it all sorts of federal benefits. His housing is paid for and the pressure from the alumni isn't overwhelming. The money's good where he's at, etc. etc. The things that I could see making a difference for him are that I think his wife is from Georgia, a competitive drive to play at a higher level and more money.

Of the other pie-in-the-sky options available to us, I don't think program-builder type coaches would do well at Tech given the recruiting restrictions. You've got to do something a little bit different scheme-wise to mask the true lack of quality depth and overall talent. So, I'd go with Mike Leach. I don't think Saban would have roaring success at a place like Tech, not to the level most of us would expect.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Of the realistic options Monken is the obvious choice, however I'm not so sure he'd come here. Sometimes I wonder if CPJ regrets leaving Navy for all the heartache he's had to put up with here. At Army, Monken has the most job security of any college coach just about. He doesn't have to play recruiting games. He doesn't have to worry about discipline issues and he doesn't really have to worry about kids with a me-first mentality. Transfers aren't an issue. He's a federal employee that carries with it all sorts of federal benefits. His housing is paid for and the pressure from the alumni isn't overwhelming. The money's good where he's at, etc. etc. The things that I could see making a difference for him are that I think his wife is from Georgia, a competitive drive to play at a higher level and more money.

Of the other pie-in-the-sky options available to us, I don't think program-builder type coaches would do well at Tech given the recruiting restrictions. You've got to do something a little bit different scheme-wise to mask the true lack of quality depth and overall talent. So, I'd go with Mike Leach. I don't think Saban would have roaring success at a place like Tech, not to the level most of us would expect.

Im not sure even leach could get a QB to come here. Even the best QB we have ever had in hamilton, we only got because his size made him not wanted by other schools

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know if the air raid would work here. It works in the Big12 because everyone highschool in Texas runs some form of it. Most highschools in the Southeast all seem to run some type of power spread or a pro-style with RPOs. It's why those offenses are so popular with college teams down here.

In this fantasy world I assume we are also putting money into the shadow staff and recruiting staff/budget as well as advertising ourselves. If that's true then I think we can run a traditional pro-style offense if we have top level pro style coaches doing it. It would actually maybe set us apart in the ACC. We could bring back the fullback and two tight end sets.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Scott Frost is an obvious choice at this point considering he's young, offensively minded, took a winless UCF to 9-0 his second year, is a great recruiter, has an offense that should translate well, and ran the option as a QB in college. Last part is important since he'll know what to do with our current offensive personnel to fit his system. However, he's too hot of a candidate to give us a real look. Only way he comes here is if he gets hired after this season (Florida or Nebraska), can't live up to the crazy standards those schools have, and comes our way after getting fired in 3 years.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Scott Frost is an obvious choice at this point considering he's young, offensively minded, took a winless UCF to 9-0 his second year, is a great recruiter, has an offense that should translate well, and ran the option as a QB in college. Last part is important since he'll know what to do with our current offensive personnel to fit his system. However, he's too hot of a candidate to give us a real look. Only way he comes here is if he gets hired after this season (Florida or Nebraska), can't live up to the crazy standards those schools have, and comes our way after getting fired in 3 years.
Scott Satterfield of Appalachian State would be a good pick for future GT head coach;)(y)

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Hiring coaches from mid majors and AAC schools is such a crap shoot with such small odds. If I were a school I would look at longtime p5 coordinators or guys who had some success at p5 schools in the past. We got lucky with Johnson and Florida did with Urban, but there are so few other ones. Even guys like Brian Kelly, Gus Malzhan (although he was a P5 coordinator for some years), and Kevin Sumlin (who was a coordinator for 3-4 years) who have had success seem to be on the hot seat every other year. Then you have the Brady Hokes, Dooleys, Butch Jones's, and Charlie Strongs of the world who straight up kill programs.

I think the mid major to major transition was easier in the older days, but the two jobs are so different now that you really need a guy experienced with everything that goes on in a P5 program to be successful. I don't know if even Harbaugh would have lasted anywhere but a bottom dweller like Stanford.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Hiring coaches from mid majors and AAC schools is such a crap shoot with such small odds. If I were a school I would look at longtime p5 coordinators or guys who had some success at p5 schools in the past. We got lucky with Johnson and Florida did with Urban, but there are so few other ones. Even guys like Brian Kelly, Gus Malzhan (although he was a P5 coordinator for some years), and Kevin Sumlin (who was a coordinator for 3-4 years) who have had success seem to be on the hot seat every other year. Then you have the Brady Hokes, Dooleys, Butch Jones's, and Charlie Strongs of the world who straight up kill programs.

I think the mid major to major transition was easier in the older days, but the two jobs are so different now that you really need a guy experienced with everything that goes on in a P5 program to be successful. I don't know if even Harbaugh would have lasted anywhere but a bottom dweller like Stanford.
I agree with most of the coaches that you listed as program killers except Charlie Strong. He had a great program at Louisville and then never had a chance at Texas. They wanted to fire the guy before his first spring game. They didn't give him enough time to turn it around, I mean that was a 4 year rebuild and they only gave him 1 and a half basically.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

I think when Coach Cutcliffe retires as Duke head football coach that Scott Satterfield will be a candidate for that job.

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know why for the life of me y'all would want to keep this offense here, I mean you couldn't get anyone that runs it better than PJ !! And I think Paul has done good @ GT & we're just a play or 2 away from a stellar season , but this offense does hamper recruiting some!! With that being said I'd like to have George Godsey , McIntyre, I would've said Whisenhunt 10 years ago , but he's getting some age on him