• CU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PITT

Votes: 27 61.4%

• Total voters

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The committee chair has sort of telegraphed days ago that Syracuse would likely get in by saying they would likely forgive the 4-5 mark in Boeheim's suspension.

Also, it is clear the committee liked some conferences and not others.
Tulsa getting in from the American is very suspect. They got a good group of teams in. A10 as well.
SEC was not liked at all. 3 teams with one being a First Four in Vandy - though if you look at their RPI's and resume's getting three is about right and it wouldn't have been a shock to see only 2 in.

Also clear that Sunday games had no impact on seeding as TX A&M gets the higher seed over KY and UVA gets a higher seed than Mich St.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm here to confirm that Syracuse getting in is a travesty.

But not as much of a travesty as Tulsa.

At least they can make up an excuse for putting Syracuse in, albeit wrong. They played bad basketball before and after Boeheim's suspension.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What a terrible Selection Sunday.

CBS completely ruined the experience. Then the committee puts Vandy Tulsa Syracuse over South Carolina and even Valpo.

Ridiculous

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
SC had no business as well. Their SoS was atrocious. If you want to get in play someone.
They had 1 good win and 3 very bad losses.
They were the yearly bubble team that got left out to remind teams the committee doesn't like teams that play a weak schedule.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
SC had no business as well. Their SoS was atrocious. If you want to get in play someone.
They were the yearly bubble team that got left out to remind teams the committee doesn't like teams that play a weak schedule.

And we were the team that reminds them that well you also must win games.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FL was very similar to GT. A lot of strong opponents, not enough wins.

UGA fans don't understand that their only option was to win the SEC Tourney. NCAA didn't give much strength to the conference and UGA was 0-6 against teams in the top 50, 0-9 against the teams in the Top 61. They have proven they will be a team to reckon with in the NIT, but would have been a 1st rounder loser in the NCAA.
GT was their second best win after SC.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer

One of the pundits put it perfectly earlier today. They didn't expect to be as good as they were and scheduled accordingly. It came back to bite them in the end.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
i get caught up in the eye test. I have seen a lot of these teams play multiple times. (As I'm sure have some of you)

For me, Michigan and SC would be in.

Vandy and Tulsa would be out.

Oregon State a 7?(too high) Iowa a 7?(too low) Utah a 3? (Too high) UK a 4? (Low)

I agree with the idea that you should play someone.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

South Carolina did have 8 wins against the top 100 not to mention beating both Tulsa and Vandy H2H. Which is only of note because both of those teams sent fat envelopes of cash to someone and got in

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
At what point is Frank Haith's weird luck gonna run out? Talk about a guy living a charmed life.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The committee chair has sort of telegraphed days ago that Syracuse would likely get in by saying they would likely forgive the 4-5 mark in Boeheim's suspension.

Also clear that Sunday games had no impact on seeding as TX A&M gets the higher seed over KY and UVA gets a higher seed than Mich St.

It's about money--TV money. CBS wanted an IU/UK matchup. CBS wanted a UT/TAMU matchup. So, UK is a 4 (in a tougher region) and TAMU is a 3.

GT and SU had the same number of wins. GT had a tougher schedule (how many times did the committee guy talk about SOS?). SU is in because they bring the NY TV market.

College basketball has become a joke. Horrible officiating. Shoe companies and ESPN and CBS dictating outcomes. One and dones. It really isn't worth watching.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
None of SC, Tulsa or Vandy would have made my field. It also shows how weak the end of the bubble was this year given how seriously they were considered. Having SMU and L'ville ineligible probably brought 5-6 teams into serious discussion that normally would have been left out.
Dancecard missed about as many this year as its last 4 yrs combined.

SC has a really good win over A&M and then the bubble wins Pea mentioned, but its other Top 100 wins for the most part are very low Top 100 wins. It also has 3 losses worse than GT's worse loss.
Actually, looking at Tulsa's schedule they probably would have been first among those weaker bubble teams. They had 4 wins against the Top 50 and 6 wins against NCAA teams. That's not great, but not horrible and they don't have a loss anywhere near as bad as SC's to Missou.
I'd probably rate Vandy's resume slightly better than SC's - they had 2 really good wins - A&M and KY, swept FL. They also played a much harder schedule with games against Kansas, Purdue, Dayton, Baylor and Texas. They likely got a bid due to their non conference schedule which had a SoS of 25 which is outstanding. No way the committee would take a team in the same general area of RPi with a non conference 271 over a 25.

All I can say is there is alot of flawed teams around the last 3-4 spots. No team has really much of an argument if they got left out.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the done none the teams (Tulsa Vandy SC SDST Michigan St Bon) would have made the S16 anyways. Vandy could if they had any intention of playing defense but in the end no teams that have NC aspirations were left out.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It seems like the bubble is weak almost every year now. At least that's my perception of current and past conversations.

Credit to Jay Bilas for this quote in years past, something to the effect of, "all of these bubble teams have proven they can lose to just about anyone, so it's about who you beat."

I wish it were that simple. Even the idea of Top 50 wins is flawed when you consider how RPI is calculated.