Votes: 8 18.2%
  • CU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PITT

Votes: 27 61.4%

• Total voters

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I still think we are probably going to have to beat UVA to get in (maybe even a close game would peak the committee's interest) but our RPI was updated to 63 last night and above multiple teams being talked about on the bubble including michigan syracuse and ohio state and right on the heels of Monmouth who's still listed in as far as Lunardi is concerned...

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I still think we are probably going to have to beat UVA to get in (maybe even a close game would peak the committee's interest) but our RPI was updated to 63 last night and above multiple teams being talked about on the bubble including michigan syracuse and ohio state and right on the heels of Monmouth who's still listed in as far as Lunardi is concerned...

I agree. We will probably have to beat Virginia and then play a close game or win again in the semi finals to get in. We just played too poorly in the middle of the season. If only MGH was PG all year. We would've won 3-4 of those close games.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind Monmouth beat UCLA and Georgetown who won national titles 20-50 years ago. It doesn't matter that both teams are sub-500 this year, am I right media who wants a good story? Monmouth even beat ND. How are we supposed to compete with that? Oh wait...

Yes we played poorly in the middle of the season. Tell me which of the bubble teams haven't played poorly this year.

This whole notion that we're so far away even as of today is nonsense. There are a lot of average teams on the bubble. I think we're pretty damn average ourselves with a better win than nearly every team up there. And only one sub-100 RPI loss against a team we've beaten 2 times since.

I would like to see/hear actual resume comparisons vs. what feels like "the experts wrote GT off so long ago that it's difficult for the Jackets to reenter the conversation."

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind Monmouth beat UCLA and Georgetown who won national titles 20-50 years ago. It doesn't matter that both teams are sub-500 this year, am I right media who wants a good story? Monmouth even beat ND. How are we supposed to compete with that? Oh wait...

Yes we played poorly in the middle of the season. Tell me which of the bubble teams haven't played poorly this year.

This whole notion that we're so far away even as of today is nonsense. There are a lot of average teams on the bubble. I think we're pretty damn average ourselves with a better win than nearly every team up there. And only one sub-100 RPI loss against a team we've beaten 2 times since.

I would like to see/hear actual resume comparisons vs. what feels like "the experts wrote GT off so long ago that it's difficult for the Jackets to reenter the conversation."

I don't disagree but it seems those teams get the benefit of the doubt often. There is a magic number in the BPI though right? No at large bid has ever been given to a team with a BPI over like 78? Which I think would eliminate MtStM and Valpo.

I may not be in the correct section on that but I think I'm in the ballpark. Bilas was talking about it last night

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If we win tonight I think we'll squeak in. Two wins against a top 5 team is big. Plus we've been winning so many close games right now, and I think the committee definitely notices that sort of stuff. Our RPI right now is 63 and it would definitely move up into the 50's with a win.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Get em Cuse!

You know what really grinds my gears... ****ing Vanderbilt. The SEC is not a strong basketball conference at all so who cares about their 11-7 conference record. Vandy has an RPI of 48 to our 63, difference of 15 spots. Who the hell has vandy beat that is good. 1 win against kentucky and 1 win against texas A&M. South Carolina and Vandy both didn't beat like anyone out of conference. ALL of the SEC's marquee wins pretty much came from Texas A&M beating up on the big 12 with wins over ISU texas and baylor, also got a win over Zags in a down year. Kentucky beat UL and Florida beat WVU. Those are the marquee wins of the SEC. Vandy is firmly in as a 9 seed and think our resume is firmly better than theirs regardless of RPI. Their overall record is the same as ours pretty much and I would say our OOC wins are better than theirs.

RPI wins vs top 50
GT: 4 (1 was OOC)
Vandy: 2 (none were OOC)
Losses to RPI 100+
GT: 1
Vandy :2 (one to a team we beat)

Their RPI is still 15 spots above us but you've got to be high if you think they're a better team than us when you break it down.

Edit: Syracuse also beat Texas A&M, so the SEC can suck it.

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Someone, ask Seth Greenberg if we are in.

1 of 2 crazy things will happen.

1-He will say we are in and I'll be happy

2-He will say we are out which would mark the first time he has ever answered the question that way and I'll be astonished.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We may be in better shape than we think. Louisville and SMU being out of the picture helps matters.

If we beat UVA we have a shot...but more so than anything it'd give us a chance to beat Miami...which would solidify a spot, I'd think