Who are Woody's Top candidates for D line coach?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
To quite the storm. I would have liked to have seen a hire from a bigger program. I'm not sure this dude has the reputation to come in and make a impact recruiting some big boys. We will see though.
Position coaches don't usually make lateral moves and definitely wouldn't make a move to a lower program. It's not worth doubling someone's salary just for a "bigger program" position coach. Additionally, it's much more important to get a guy who knows Woody and his system. Pelton was released precisely for being unfamiliar with it. And for the record, this isn't a Johnson hire. You might have missed the Woody press conference, but CPJ mentioned he's letting him pick his staff.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To quite the storm. I would have liked to have seen a hire from a bigger program. I'm not sure this dude has the reputation to come in and make a impact recruiting some big boys. We will see though.

I'm not sure recruiting is a function of age. (or is it inversely proportional to age?) Once upon a time, there was an engineering school in downtown Atlanta that was a joke in the world of college basketball. They hired a kid from App State iirc to come in and coach the school's basketball team.People used to laugh and make fun of the program and it was never allowed to join in all the reindeer games with all the other big, bad reindeer in the ACC. This guy must have been crazy to have taken the job! Alas, he immediately started recruiting kids that Duke and UNC and Kentucky wanted !!! This young crazy Yankee kid apparently didn't know that GT wasn't supposed to sign these kinds of kids (I don't even think the term "5 star" or "one and done" even existed then). Heck, these kids' mothers would have been an upgrade over what we were signing prior to Coach Bobby C's arrival on North Avenue.

Moral of the story - it's not about age. Or experience. It's about hustle and desire and confidence and the ability to sell one's self and one's product. In fact, I think people can get worse at it (sales and/or recruiting, which, imo, are one and the same) over time...it's hard to maintain the intensity and focus.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure recruiting is a function of age. (or is it inversely proportional to age?) Once upon a time, there was an engineering school in downtown Atlanta that was a joke in the world of college basketball. They hired a kid from App State iirc to come in and coach the school's basketball team.People used to laugh and make fun of the program and it was never allowed to join in all the reindeer games with all the other big, bad reindeer in the ACC. This guy must have been crazy to have taken the job! Alas, he immediately started recruiting kids that Duke and UNC and Kentucky wanted !!! This young crazy Yankee kid apparently didn't know that GT wasn't supposed to sign these kinds of kids (I don't even think the term "5 star" or "one and done" even existed then). Heck, these kids' mothers would have been an upgrade over what we were signing prior to Coach Bobby C's arrival on North Avenue.

Moral of the story - it's not about age. Or experience. It's about hustle and desire and confidence and the ability to sell one's self and one's product. In fact, I think people can get worse at it (sales and/or recruiting, which, imo, are one and the same) over time...it's hard to maintain the intensity and focus.
Wasn't there a team just up the road that fired the head coach and promoted the unknown wide receiver coach to head coach a few years back? Seems like that worked out OK. Everybody made fun of him for a while, too.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No way to know the answer to this, but I wonder why no one from App State (besides the GA) decided to come over with Woody?
One guy left for Ga southern before woody came to GT. There were 3 others that didn’t come. 1 was named DC, the other CO DC (if I’m not mistaken), and the other was an older guy that’s been there for like 30 years.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
No way to know the answer to this, but I wonder why no one from App State (besides the GA) decided to come over with Woody?
Perhaps they weren't offered. Or chose to stay home because a promotion and more $ from your current employer is enticing when you already own a house there, have kids in school, teach Sunday school, or forever relinquish your seat at the best beer joint in town. Hell, maybe you're even happy (priceless). Lots of reasons to stay that are beyond Woody's control. Bottom line is that, from an outsider looking in, them not following him from App State means absolutely nothing.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don’t think we will know till 3 or 4 games in, unless the players are just lightning it up like they’ve never done before.

I don't think we'll know for sure for a few years. Whether he can get the guys to fit his system and keep it steady won't be known immediately. We all need to be patient no matter what the immediate outcome is.