Who are Woody's Top candidates for D line coach?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Kirby Smart might be available after the Monday night loss. :cigar:
I know you were joking here, but I find it funny that I have heard more than a few dwag fans say they should fire the offensive coordinator after the game last Monday. This is a guy that had a lot to do with getting them into that position to begin with. And we think GT fans are sometimes hard to please.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
They have, but he's a 4-3 guy not a 3-4 guy (the Charger's might technically run a 3 man front but it's pretty much a 4-3 where Ingram is more of an "elephant").

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, his experience is as a 3-3-5 Psycho nickel package guy, not a 4-3 guy

I don't think this is accurate. I'm pretty sure Oklahoma State used 4 man fronts the majority of the time. They used the 3-3-5 against Texas Tech two years ago and maybe some other teams because they didn't respect TTU's ground game and wanted as much help in the pass as they could get (the defense got destroyed in that game so it didn't really work out).

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
I don't think this is accurate. I'm pretty sure Oklahoma State used 4 man fronts the majority of the time. They used the 3-3-5 against Texas Tech two years ago and maybe some other teams because they didn't respect TTU's ground game and wanted as much help in the pass as they could get (the defense got destroyed in that game so it didn't really work out).
I think you might be right. My mistake

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Pure, unadulterated speculation -- I've seen nothing associating this guy with any Tech coaching position -- but here's some grist for the mill: Last year, FCS-level Western Illinois hired Tony (not Todd) Grantham as defensive coordinator, to change the WI defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4 for the 2017 season. The team defense improved, the program had a solid season.

However, five days ago Tony Grantham left Western Illinois with a farewell and thanks tweet to his players. (WIU's head coach left for an assistant coach position at Arizona State, and presumably the new WIU coach wants to bring in his own guy as DC. Again, speculation upon speculation.) I haven't stumbled across any more current info about coach Grantham, who did coach linebackers at Navy for several years early in CPJ's tenure in Annapolis. Just found this bit of info interesting.

Last edited: