Who’s your pick for Head Coach? (Poll)

Who’s your pick?

• Total voters

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What is the love with tony Elliot? Never heard of him before. Looked him up he has only been a coordinator for 3 years at Clemson. Not much of a pedigree anyone can look good with Deshaun Watson as QB.

I don’t get it but that’s just me

I think it's the same type of logic that causes people to buy lottery tickets, especially those that can't afford to do so. The idea of catching lightening in a bottle is romantic and appealing to a lot of people.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What is the love with tony Elliot? Never heard of him before. Looked him up he has only been a coordinator for 3 years at Clemson. Not much of a pedigree anyone can look good with Deshaun Watson as QB.

I don’t get it but that’s just me

It would be a recruiting oriented hire which we really haven't tried. KW would basically be a rehash of Gailey and Monken a rehash of Johnson. There are arguments that both routes could work out (the belief that Gailey was picking up steam recruiting and just a QB away, and that Monken would innovate enough to not have some of the same issues that Johnson ran into). Otherwise we could go the route of a successful smaller school coach with some head coaching experience, but most of them have limited P5 experience. There are benefits to any of the routs as well as risks. IMO the thing that I think a lot of people who like Elliot believe is that we have to find a way to increase recruiting regardless of what else we do. While more investment will help, investment plus a recruiting oriented HC is more likely to expedite the process and the other arguments have a lot of potential pittfalls as well.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
This is what GT needs. A guy like this could get the city behind GT.

Attachments

• D5F9E952-1FA0-4D73-8924-F1A9AE3096C8.jpeg
    D5F9E952-1FA0-4D73-8924-F1A9AE3096C8.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 111

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What would be wrong with Neal Brown?

I wouldn't be against him at all and I doubt anyone who wants Elliot would be that against Brown. IMO the tradeoff is Elliot has more regional ties and experience in the ACC where Brown has HC experience. I personally also like that Elliot was at Clemson when they took their program to the next level. While there is a difference between Clemson and GT, the same can be said for Gt and Troy. At the end of the day I think Elliot would more likely be the better recruiter here which is why I prefer him over Brown. Wouldn't be disappointed with either though.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Kirby Smart had that knock against him in December 2015;)

Kirby coached 16 year as an assistant with stops at Valdosta St, UGA, LSU, FSU, pro level Dolphins and Alabama. This is an outstanding resume. Guess what he is a UGA grad.

Elliot’s resume does not even touch Smart’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to have confidence in anything regarding GT sports, at present. Stansbury has to make a good hire though and come up with a vision the fanbase can believe in. Feels like dark times.
Sorry you feel that way Smokey...I am actually feel excited and optimistic right now. Happy that Coach Johnson was able to take a break on his own terms and grateful he left the program on solid ground. We now get an opportunity to take that stability and elevate our program to another level.

Agree that this hire is absolutely critical for us...As you suggested, hope it is a hire that unites our fanbase.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Seems Brown is on Lville's shortlist. They're desperate after losing out on Brohm. Bidding war there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think it's the same type of logic that causes people to buy lottery tickets, especially those that can't afford to do so. The idea of catching lightening in a bottle is romantic and appealing to a lot of people.

Exactly, except that he has a lot better chance of being successful than me winning the lottery. A lot better. Whoever we hire is a risk.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I just read an article on football scoop that said, "Source tells FootballScoop Stansbury is expected to hire a coach who will guide Georgia Tech away from the triple option." While that might be the end result, that is not what I heard in the press conference. I heard - "has to be innovative" and "I don't care about schemes; I'll leave that to the coaches. I want to win more games."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I just read an article on football scoop that said, "Source tells FootballScoop Stansbury is expected to hire a coach who will guide Georgia Tech away from the triple option." While that might be the end result, that is not what I heard in the press conference. I heard - "has to be innovative" and "I don't care about schemes; I'll leave that to the coaches. I want to win more games."

You think TStan would say "Yeah, GT needs to move on from the triple option..." while sitting next to CPJ?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think we'll end up with Monken by a process of elimination. We won't be able to attract the hot HC people would like because they'll take one look at the recruiting situation and our financial commitment and think twice. Another academy coach, one with experience here, would move right in with minimum fuss. And continue winning too boot.

But we'll see soon enough.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to see Neal Brown, Tony Elliot or Satterfield. Also, after his success at GSU and turning around a horrible Tulane team, I would be fond of Willie Frist, but I get he would be considered underwhelming (and he isn't being mentioned, so don't worry).

I am not very happy seeing Whisenhunt being interviewed given his lack of success (horrible is better word) as a head coach. Maybe college will be different, but his hire would start already behind the 8-ball in my mind. I do not get the Geoff Collins interest, if real, AT ALL. He is terribly mediocre or just bad. I will root for them if hired, but Whisenhunt and Colling have me already yawning and wondering how many seasons of .500 ball and mediocre recruiting until they're canned.

The ONE name I wish I would hear and see interviewed is Chris Klieman of NDSU. Sigh, guess it won't happen and hey, maybe he wouldn't want to come, but NDSU has been completely dominating with that man at the helm.

The names that would not upset me if hired are the below:

Brown
Kleiman
Satterfield
Elliot

Less thrilled or unlikely, but still somewhat positive:
Monken (yes TO stays then, but I am leaning to moving on from it to get BIG BOY recruits and not 260 lb OL and such)
Bohanon (hey, KSU is darn good already)
Frist (never mentioned, but he makes teams better each stop)

Bottom line though, I am most interested in seeing GT recruiting take a big step forward. Most of the time, when we play top 20 teams, we get man-handled due to speed/size combo being a tick down from our opponents. We'll never be a top 10 recruiting school, but there is no excuse for us to be in the bottom 1/3 of the ACC and outside the top 30 or so nationally.