Who’s your pick for Head Coach? (Poll)

Who’s your pick?

• Total voters

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Tony Elliot, and then when Justin Fields transfers out, he can come play at GT. What a beautiful thing that would be

FWIW only two guys would get me excited on that list.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ok I was an Alabama fans but not now don't care if they win again this year.

Have we picked a new Head Coach ? I'll give the AD till Monday at 5pm after that it will be up to us

I need to go take a shower after pulling for Alabama ( Wonder what uga fans will say about their coach calling a fake punt)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
My pick is whoever we come up with and I will be behind them 100%. There are several options who would be a great fit for us.

Yeah, that's the thing. Seems like there are so many better choices than when we hired Gailey, or even when we hired CPJ. And we have an AD we can have faith in.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I picked other because none of the options are defensive minded coaches. I don't think Tony Elliott would be a bad coach, but there are probably 40 guys we could bring in to install a version of Clemson's offense as an OC. Our defense has been a weakness since Tenuta, and I would personally like to see that addressed. A HC who is defensive first would likely help turn that around.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I picked other because none of the options are defensive minded coaches. I don't think Tony Elliott would be a bad coach, but there are probably 40 guys we could bring in to install a version of Clemson's offense as an OC. Our defense has been a weakness since Tenuta, and I would personally like to see that addressed. A HC who is defensive first would likely help turn that around.
Geoff Collins

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Not many walk in with his recruiting prowess though.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Derek Mason great defensively but I’ll pass a lot of Vandy people don’t want him anymore
I can understand the Vandy fanbase given his record. That being said, he’s got 4 yrs of HC experience at a challenging place to coach. Indications are we’re going to improve support. He spent 3 yrs on the Vikings so he has Pro experience plus He was Asst HC at Stanford where he saw first hand what a lot of resources could do for you. The Stanford angle should make many on here drool as there’s only 1, maybe 2 schools the diehards around here are more envious of than them. I’m also a big believer that you can not succeed at a job & a change of scenery sometimes allows a reset and much better performance. You have learned lessons & don’t step in the same traps. Hard fails this is not the case but that is not what Mason has done. Lastly, defenses win championships & if that’s what we’re after maybe the road to better odds of that happening is not by having a unique offense, but by having a stalwart defense. Really, if we had a stout D & ran the triple O it just might do the trick but that ship has sailed.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can understand the Vandy fanbase given his record. That being said, he’s got 4 yrs of HC experience at a challenging place to coach. .

I lived in the Nashville area when Franklin left and Mason came in. Mason is well thought of as an individual. But he never really captured the interest of the fans and local media. That's not in his nature. Franklin had people talking about Vandy FB and created excitement around the program that had not existed in a long, long time. Mason just doesn't have that charisma. I think GT needs someone who can get the fans and media on his side. Would love him as a DC if CNW left.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I’ve figured it out..... cut ties with anyone who was under CPJ for an extended period of time (nothing against those guys, just get a fresh start)

HC: Elliot
OC/QB: Brandon Streeter (current Clemson QB coach)
OL/Co OC: Key
ST/CB/recruiting coordinator: Charley Kelly
WR: Calving Johnson
RB: Tashard Choice

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
As another poster noted, Dabo was the interim head coach before being hired. Clemson got a test run. If Tech hires Elliot, it's a huge financial commitment for a guy who has zero sole-OC or head coaching experience. Elliot may be hired, and he may work out, but it would be a huge gamble. Keep in mind that UCF considered Elliot last year and chose another candidate.
UCF chose another candidate with no HC experience though. That doesn’t discredit the ability of Hill and his ability to potentially be a good HC.