Which is the tougher game?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with Atomic about having the UGAg game early in the season. Like the first game to really motivate practices. Another big problem with the UGAg game timing is finals are just around the corner. Now the UGAg game is followed by "dead week". Back when men where men (and sheep were scared), we had finals the week after UGAg as I recall.

Anyway, Atomic Football gives us a 25% chance against UGAg. I think that is about right (I'd guess 30-35% with us peaking now) since UGAg is a much stronger team on paper* and it is at the cesspool. I think UGAg's bad games have flowed from lack of motivation. I also think Missouri is going to beat Arizona (I really hope so) on Friday which will leave UGAg with nothing to lose. http://atomicfootball.com/archive/teams/tm_9.html

J Howell has UGAg at 8.5 points. Atomic Football has the line at 10 points (40-30). I expect the Vegas line to open between 8-10.

FSU on the other hand doesn't match up nearly as well against us. I think our O will score a TD almost every drive and be able to stop FSU on half their drives. Winston looked a bit gimpy yesterday. Also, with their arch rival Florida this week, they won't dare focus on us. I just hope FSU beats FL because I want them for us!

{*I'm going to do a much better comparison later today now that the XMass lights! And the wine is out.}

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Atomic about having the UGAg game early in the season. Like the first game to really motivate practices. Another big problem with the UGAg game timing is finals are just around the corner. Now the UGAg game is followed by "dead week". Back when men where men (and sheep were scared), we had finals the week after UGAg as I recall.

Anyway, Atomic Football gives us a 25% chance against UGAg. I think that is about right (I'd guess 30-35% with us peaking now) since UGAg is a much stronger team on paper* and it is at the cesspool. I think UGAg's bad games have flowed from lack of motivation. I also think Missouri is going to beat Arizona (I really hope so) on Friday which will leave UGAg with nothing to lose. http://atomicfootball.com/archive/teams/tm_9.html

J Howell has UGAg at 8.5 points. Atomic Football has the line at 10 points (40-30). I expect the Vegas line to open between 8-10.

FSU on the other hand doesn't match up nearly as well against us. I think our O will score a TD almost every drive and be able to stop FSU on half their drives. Winston looked a bit gimpy yesterday. Also, with their arch rival Florida this week, they won't dare focus on us. I just hope FSU beats FL because I want them for us!

{*I'm going to do a much better comparison later today now that the XMass lights! And the wine is out.}

*Arkansas

And, I think Arkansas wins. I hate georgie, and I actually think that being SEC champs in the same year that we beat them is worse for them than losing to us and not getting to play in the SECCG. We could make rings that say GT ACC/SEC champs.

Of course, if God is trolling us so that we extend CPJ's contract and then jump the shark for the last two games, I'd want Missouri to win. We'll see.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Dumb. Just beat the dumb dawgs, you know how big of pussies we would like if we moved the rivalry game because we get sad in the off season ? Did you ever play a single sport growing up?
I can't believe Atomic even wrote that. It's just his way of saying everything about Georgia Tech is wrong, right down to when a game appears on the schedule. The bottom line is you have have to line up and compete in every game no matter when it it. The dwags would be laughing their asses off at us if all Tech fans complained like that.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

If you aren't motivated at practice to beat your rival at the end of the season then D1 football isn't for you

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with most that Ga will be the tougher game... talent wise, I think few, excluding Bama, are more talented than Ga and FSU.

Really think it is in our best interest for Mizz to win their game Friday night, ensuring Ga's exclusion from seccg... believe it will be deflating for Ga's team AND fans...combined with a noon start and limited TV exposure it will be a bit of a letdown for them.

All that being said, I think Ga will be the best team we have played and will be a bear of a challenge for our D... then FSU will be the 2nd best team we've played this year. Depending on our bowl destination, we may well have played our 4 toughest opponents back to back to back to back

Full confidence in our guys to fight to the finish in each... I'm proud of 'em already, regardless of the outcomes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
does not matter. I LOVE this team and just want them to play loose, have fun, and play their game to their full potential. Play error free. Play with fire. The rest will take care of itself. I felt this was going to be a special year and it has been.

I did waver a bit after Duke and UNC games but still see the evidence of this being an extra special year. It is not over until its over.
Go Jackets! Swam all over the Mutts and make them whimper.
YHWG
I like this so much.
I need to remind myself to love this team. I tend to forget that when we play uga. But, if I were to mix my love for this team and my deep inner demons about uga then my wish for the game would turn out something like this.

1. I want us to play to win rather than playing not to lose. In other words, relax and have fun, as you put it.
2. I do not want uga to pull any late hits, leg twisting in piles, unnecessary roughness or hits out of bounds. Past nightmares of this.
3. I want us to avoid penalties.
4. I want the refs to call holding on uga's offensive line when holding is taking place.
5. I want us to play our game and play it with confidence.

I can handle the outcome if these five things happen. I also will feel unusually confident.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
No mental issues with this group. But definitely match-up problems for GT vs UGa. Our strength on D is our secondary but Georgia will likely just pound us running the ball. I doubt they need Mason to pass much, but they have a powerful rushing attack and we do NOT have a good rushing D. Bad match=up for us.

FSU meanwhile is not great on rush D either. If you watched yesterday, you saw Boston College drive down the field in the 4th quarter of a tied football game, in Tallahassee of all places. They got into position for a good FG try, then tried a trick play (which failed) and then missed a very makable FG. If BC can control the clock and run on FSU, we can as well.

I think we lose to Uga and beat FSU mostly because of these match-up issues.

Oh, and I think FSU would drill UGa. Winston would absolutely *feast* on Georgia's secondary and they would roll up a big number on the Dawgs.

It's always about match=ups, and it is almost never linear (A beats B and B beats C ergo A will beat C....WRONG!)

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I can't believe Atomic even wrote that. It's just his way of saying everything about Georgia Tech is wrong, right down to when a game appears on the schedule. The bottom line is you have have to line up and compete in every game no matter when it it. The dwags would be laughing their asses off at us if all Tech fans complained like that.

This has nothing to do with the players's ability to line up and play any given week. This is solely about building and maintaining a fanbase. Tech is getting killed right now in the arena of maintaining and growing a fanbase. The Tech fans of the glory years are dying off, sadly enough, and Tech has done precious little since those glory years to build and grow a fanbase. If we had more fans, we'd have more money flowing into the program. When money flows into the program, it translates into better, more elite recruits. When recruiting makes a step-change upward, a team becomes elite. The constant losing, year after year, to Georgia at the end of the season, does tremendous damage to Tech's image among the casual fanbase. I'm not talking about the real fanatics like those of us who take the time to post on message boards. Our interest in the program is inelastic. We'll be watching no matter what. I'm talking about the fickle, distracted, busy, short-attention-spanned, casual college football fan who has no patience for foolishness or desire to dwell on disappointing flops at the end of a season. Mock and ridicule these sidewalk types all you want, but their dollars are just as green as yours and mine, and they outnumber us by an order of magnitude. These fans want to celebrate a season at the end and not have to go into work and listen to the rival fans mockery for the entire off-season just because their game happened to be the last one of the regular season. It p*sses them off and they take out that anger on Tech by just spending their entertainment dollars elsewhere. And thus, Tech remains mired in a morass of mediocrity at the end of every season.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
This has nothing to do with the players's ability to line up and play any given week. This is solely about building and maintaining a fanbase. Tech is getting killed right now in the arena of maintaining and growing a fanbase. The Tech fans of the glory years are dying off, sadly enough, and Tech has done precious little since those glory years to build and grow a fanbase. If we had more fans, we'd have more money flowing into the program. When money flows into the program, it translates into better, more elite recruits. When recruiting makes a step-change upward, a team becomes elite. The constant losing, year after year, to Georgia at the end of the season, does tremendous damage to Tech's image among the casual fanbase. I'm not talking about the real fanatics like those of us who take the time to post on message boards. Our interest in the program is inelastic. We'll be watching no matter what. I'm talking about the fickle, distracted, busy, short-attention-spanned, casual college football fan who has no patience for foolishness or desire to dwell on disappointing flops at the end of a season. Mock and ridicule these sidewalk types all you want, but their dollars are just as green as yours and mine, and they outnumber us by an order of magnitude. These fans want to celebrate a season at the end and not have to go into work and listen to the rival fans mockery for the entire off-season just because their game happened to be the last one of the regular season. It p*sses them off and they take out that anger on Tech by just spending their entertainment dollars elsewhere. And thus, Tech remains mired in a morass of mediocrity at the end of every season.
You build a fan base by beating your rival in general and having success over a period of time. you don't do that by moving a rivalry game. Because guess what? if we scheduled uga the first game of the year and lost 8 years in a row we still lost the game. Do you think uga forgets about the fla game even though it's in the middle of the season? Did it not bother their fan base to go 3-18 against them at one point in time? Uga will always have a larger fan base get over it they're the state school.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Uga will always have a larger fan base get over it they're the state school.
I question the veracity of the last word in that sentence. U(sic)gA is not a school in any meaningful sense of that word.

I've always said we could never move it to the start of the year because it would give the nadlickers too big a disadvantage, what with half their team either suspended or in jail for the first two games.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
If we moved the ugag game to the beginning of the year it would be a way of us saying we suck and can't compete almost like when uga said they don't want to play us twice in basketball anymore

Atomic Jacket

Banned
You build a fan base by beating your rival in general and having success over a period of time. you don't do that by moving a rivalry game. Because guess what? if we scheduled uga the first game of the year and lost 8 years in a row we still lost the game. Do you think uga forgets about the fla game even though it's in the middle of the season? Did it not bother their fan base to go 3-18 against them at one point in time? Uga will always have a larger fan base get over it they're the state school.

1. The timing of the loss wouldn't matter to the fanatics who are locked into the details of Tech football, but it would matter to the casual fan. They've forgotten about what happened early in the season by the time the end comes around. You have to understand the psychology of the casual fan. You can't analyze this issue like a die-hard Tech fan.

2. UGA may always have a larger fanbase, but it's not about who has more fans. It's about staying in the same ballpark in terms of size of fanbase. Do you think the disparity in fanbase size between Georgia and Georgia Tech is anything remotely like the ratio of Alabama to Auburn's? Or Florida State to Florida's? Or Clemson to South Carolina's? It's not even close. Tech's fanbase is microscopic compared to Georgia. The other rivalries in this region of the country have fanbase sizes that are at least within the ballpark of each other.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
1. The timing of the loss wouldn't matter to the fanatics who are locked into the details of Tech football, but it would matter to the casual fan. They've forgotten about what happened early in the season by the time the end comes around. You have to understand the psychology of the casual fan. You can't analyze this issue like a die-hard Tech fan.

2. UGA may always have a larger fanbase, but it's not about who has more fans. It's about staying in the same ballpark in terms of size of fanbase. Do you think the disparity in fanbase size between Georgia and Georgia Tech is anything remotely like the ratio of Alabama to Auburn's? Or Florida State to Florida's? Or Clemson to South Carolina's? It's not even close. Tech's fanbase is microscopic compared to Georgia. The other rivalries in this region of the country have fanbase sizes that are at least within the ballpark of each other.
I think your first analogy is way off guy. So the casual fan would forget that we lost the first game of the season to uga with 11 other games left but they don't forget we lost to them over the offseason and 11 more games to play before uga again ? Sounds a little off to me

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The line opened at 14.5, which is close to the Sagarin Predictor, which had it at 14.42.

Ouch. I think it's high, but it is what it is. We won't get respect in this series until we start winning. I obviously had gold colored glasses.

As I remember, the Sagarin prediction method is comparable in performance against the spread of Atomic Football and JHowell. The Sagarin spread of 14 points would put the odds of winning at about 10%?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
If you aren't motivated at practice to beat your rival at the end of the season then D1 football isn't for you

Yet in 11' we played one of the flattest rivalry games I have ever seen. In our own stadium. I don't think we will have that problem this year, but then again I never thought it would ever be the case we would play that way against the hated rival.