Which is the tougher game?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Head to head i think ugag would probably crush fsu
No. FSU would be a terrible matchup for Georgia. No way that secondary holds up. The best passing quarterback they’ve faced all year was Dylan Thompson and they lost. South Carolina’s offense is probably the closest to FSU’s and FSU has a far better defense.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think GT v UGA every year at the dome to start the season would be spectacular. Instead of hate week, you get hate off season. The anticipation for the game would be palpable as the date got closer. It beats what has become our inaugural scrimmage against FCS opponent.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
No. FSU would be a terrible matchup for Georgia. No way that secondary holds up. The best passing quarterback they’ve faced all year was Dylan Thompson and they lost. South Carolina’s offense is probably the closest to FSU’s and FSU has a far better defense.

and FSU probably couldn't handle ugays run game. both teams are so dirty it would probably come down to which team could injure the others star first?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I guess end of season noon game on the SEC network beats a prime time game first week of the season. What was I thinking?
This is part of my problem with the game every year. It is never the big game of the day or even in the top 5 usually. Hardly anyone is going to watch our game except UGA and GT fans. Last year we were on at the same time as the Iron Bowl. This year we are on at the same time as SC/Clemson and Ohio St/Mich and we are the ones on the obscure channel that even our students don't get. I love COFH but it's never going to have much of a national presence if it stays at the end of the season.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I am really glad we made the ACCCG, but I hope our players aren't thinking about FSU at all right now. In fact, I don't want to think about them either. I think UGAg poses a huge challenge for us. They might be the worst match up for us this entire season. Their strengths (as huge as they are) directly align with our greatest weakness as a team. They could be the first team we face who will stay committed to the run ( I am talking a similar run pass ratio that we typically have) and have the ability to sustain it. I have had these recurring nightmares about them lining up 4 wide every play and just "deep handoff" - ing us to death behind a very good OL. It is hard for me to imagine a scenario where our DL (given our lack of depth) can hold up to the constant pounding of a running attack like that. We are a very small defensive unit. Our strength is running around the field and making it seem small with speed. They are going to be punching us in the stomach repeatedly.

With that said they are probably just as worried about us as we are about them. We will be hard to stop for them too. I guess the big question for me is: will we be able to jar a couple balls loose and get a lead? If so, I like our chances in that scenario.

I'm a little late to the party here. I've gotta think that an effective way for us to beat these guys is to "Miami them" like we did earlier in the season. Miami had a talented back that we feared would run all over us. We did a great job of keeping him off the field, but it felt like Miami inexplicably abandoned the run game for some reason. Maybe getting so few possessions put some pressure on them, but I was surprised that they didn't run Duke Johnson more when they had the ball.

I think most of us probably agree that we cannot turn the ball over and expect to win. We either need to:
  1. Control the ball and sustain long drives to minimize the damage they inflict with their running game;
  2. Win in a shootout;
  3. Our defense steps up and gets some key stops or turnovers, allowing us to gain some distance and avoid the shootout scenario.
Any of these routes (or a combination of them) seem possible. Number 1 seems the most possible (and the best for my heart). Number 2 stresses me out, but I'll take it. Number 3 is possible with the way the defense has improved, but like Boomer says above, it is difficult to see us having a lot of success on that side of the ball if UGA decides to ground and pound for 4 quarters. That not only wears on our front 7, but I think it minimizes our opportunities to create turnovers as well, which is what our defense has thrived on this year.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I pick u(sic)ga, because I think there's a psychological element that doesn't exist against FSU. I think too much of the time our guys get in their own heads when we play the Dwags, and that added with the Dwags physical advantage makes every win vs. them that much tougher...

I watched FSU and UGAg yesterday. I personally think UGAg is the tougher game. It is also the one I want us to win the most. I honestly did not think we stood a chance against them early in the year, but our team has improved beyond my wildest imagination. When CPJ said "we can get sooooo much better" he was right. I think we have. Especially with audibles at the LOS.

What say you? Which game do you think is the toughest to win? Which one do you want to see us win the most?
Georgia is the tougher game, because right now the FSU game doesn't (or better not) exist in the psyche of our team and staff. One at a time. Take care of a little business trip to Athens, then worry about the next one.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
This is part of my problem with the game every year. It is never the big game of the day or even in the top 5 usually. Hardly anyone is going to watch our game except UGA and GT fans. Last year we were on at the same time as the Iron Bowl. This year we are on at the same time as SC/Clemson and Ohio St/Mich and we are the ones on the obscure channel that even our students don't get. I love COFH but it's never going to have much of a national presence if it stays at the end of the season.
I don't know....I think if our program can continue to build, win, and become more nationally relevant, COFH will be a lot more interesting. Honestly, it's been so one-sided over the last decade that I see why we don't get a lot of attention in this game. Here's hoping the apparent momentum in our program begins to change that this weekend.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't know....I think if our program can continue to build, win, and become more nationally relevant, COFH will be a lot more interesting. Honestly, it's been so one-sided over the last decade that I see why we don't get a lot of attention in this game. Here's hoping the apparent momentum in our program begins to change that this weekend.
This is why we get a crap channel. Being at the end of the season has nothing to do with it. You have to win your rivalry game to make it relevant.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed jchens.. The old adage of Winning solves everything.
  • Start the season with talk of hot seat - end the season with contract extension for CPJ.
  • Start the season worried because JeT is untested and we lost Vad Lee which must mean dysfunction - end the season as the tightest team mentality in recent memory with JeT headed for greatness
  • Start the season thinking the D is horrible - End the season with some scheme changes and all of a sudden the D has a bunch of take aways, and is making some plays
  • Start the team in the cellar of ACC - End the season in the ACCCG

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure about that. I don't think most people outside of the state of Georgia even know how much UGA has won lately. They don't really have a reason to know or care. With us being in different conferences, and with both teams rarely being in the hunt for national championships, the outcome of the game doesn't really affect anything. If we have a season where both of us are in the top 10 and in playoff contention then it will get a bunch of interest, otherwise, I don't see how it would. Our game this weekend between two top 15 teams won't get a third of the TV ratings that Ohio St/Michigan gets and that series has been as lopsided as ours lately.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. We've gotten really close in several of these games. Need to get over the hump.
It's going to be a top 15 match up. People who were born and raised in Georigia over estimate what the rivalry means on the national stage. Growing up, I knew it existed but it was rarely talked about and no one cared. Even the egg bowl this year is being talked about more this year and miss st has been historically irrelevant for a long time.

Move the game to the start of the year and you can be one of the guaranteed good games to start the season year in year out.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
They tried it with Louisville and Kentucky and no one cared.
No one outside of Georiga cares now. We aren't even the third best game in the SOUTH. People will tune into Iron Bowl, Florida FSU, and Clemson USC before they watch us. Then when you consider other regions, we really fall off. This isn't an issue that just winning will fix.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
UGA, for the simple reason that over the last 10 years or so they have had an intimidation factor edge over us. The State school, the blue chip recruits the SEC, yadda, yadda, yadda.
It doesn't seem to matter who's hurt or where were playing they end up winning. Hopefully this year with this team it'll change, there is definitely reason to think it will !!!