Which bourbon is best paired with a GT win over UM?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The only reason I survived was I got incredibly sick and lost everything.

I've been drinking since several months old according to my Mom. When I had colic, the doctor told her to have a few highballs and then breast feed. Seemed to put both of us to sleep. Doubt the AMA recommends that today.

When I was a kid(and this will reveal a lot about both my age and socioeconomic background) if I was sick, I got a concoction of hot water, Jim Beam bourbon, honey and lemon. Didn't matter if I was at home or at either grandparents house. I think I learned to fake a cough really well as a youngster as I kind of liked that stuff. nowadays, mom or my grandmas would be in a world of trouble for that.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When I was a kid(and this will reveal a lot about both my age and socioeconomic background) if I was sick, I got a concoction of hot water, Jim Beam bourbon, honey and lemon. Didn't matter if I was at home or at either grandparents house. I think I learned to fake a cough really well as a youngster as I kind of liked that stuff. nowadays, mom or my grandmas would be in a world of trouble for that.
Hot toddies were wonderful for cranky toddlers, or so my Mother said.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was making my weekend plans ahead of time and wanted to know which bourbon goes best with a Miami defeat?
Pappy Van Winkle 15 year
Blanton
Elmer T Lee
Angel's Envy

Any other favorites out there? Anyone got some good recommendations?

Rebel Yell. It was a tailgate favorite when I was in school, until someone spilled it on a car fender and it messed up the finish.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I recommend Knob Creek 12 Year or Four Roses Single Barrel as far as bourbons go. If you want to be a little adventurous, Jameson Caskmates: Stout Edition is wonderful on the rocks. If you’re willing to drop just a few more bucks, Glenfiddich 12 Year is a very smooth and drinkable scotch. Any of those would go great with Mark Richt’s tears.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First of all, let me recognize this thread as the most relevant and simultaneously important one of the year, for this touches on the most fundamental aspects of our traditions and fight song. Without "whiskey clear" we are nothing. Without us, "whiskey clear" is but an empty, yet clever phrase, void of even the most base level of significance. Plus, I just like bourbon.

Such decisions, when choosing appropriate libation to usher in yet another year of bowl eligibility at the expense of St. Richt and recovery from the doom of a 1-3 start, should not be taken lightly. Many good alternatives have been suggested, but there are themes and symbolism that must be considered. We have been harmed in the past by St. Richt, but simultaneously there are future acts of vengeance needed on the horizon. Both UVA and UGA need their "comeuppance" just as the villains in Clint Eastwood's old westerns always got theirs. I envision us riding off into the sunset having exacted our revenge much in the same fashion. Accordingly, I suggest we all make a special trip to our favorite liquor stores and put High West Double Rye Whiskey on our shelf for just those occasions. If we partake in unison after victory tonight, the effect will multiply and we will become an unstoppable force of CFB destruction.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
First of all, let me recognize this thread as the most relevant and simultaneously important one of the year, for this touches on the most fundamental aspects of our traditions and fight song. Without "whiskey clear" we are nothing. Without us, "whiskey clear" is but an empty, yet clever phrase, void of even the most base level of significance. Plus, I just like bourbon.

Such decisions, when choosing appropriate libation to usher in yet another year of bowl eligibility at the expense of St. Richt and recovery from the doom of a 1-3 start, should not be taken lightly. Many good alternatives have been suggested, but there are themes and symbolism that must be considered. We have been harmed in the past by St. Richt, but simultaneously there are future acts of vengeance needed on the horizon. Both UVA and UGA need their "comeuppance" just as the villains in Clint Eastwood's old westerns always got theirs. I envision us riding off into the sunset having exacted our revenge much in the same fashion. Accordingly, I suggest we all make a special trip to our favorite liquor stores and put High West Double Rye Whiskey on our shelf for just those occasions. If we partake in unison after victory tonight, the effect will multiply and we will become an unstoppable force of CFB destruction.

Post of the thread for me!

I agree with a number of options here, my list in no apparent order:

Blantons and eagle rare (both pretty much impossible to find now in Texas so I permabuy them anytime I see a bottle)

A few I am currently loving that are much easier to get:
Henry McKenna 10year bottled-in-bond, Old Forrester 1910 (the last of their special run of 4 whiskeys from the year), Kentucky Vintage (made by KBD “Willet”)

Scotch, when the mood hits and the temperatures drop:
Talisker 10 year, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

I take them all with a bit of ice, but say drink it how you like it (as long as you like it right! ;) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
okay, this is a thread I can really get behind! Especially since the Pappy and BTAC's were just released. Was able to get a Pappy 15, WLW, Saz, and George T. this year. Still hunting. There are so many good choices. I think I'm up to about 65 bottles of bourbon (don't tell my wife). There are so many good bourbons out there, and the quality and quantities are increasing. Don't like the sherry-cask stuff, so Angels Envy, Belle Mead, and some of the other highly popular bourbons are unattractive to me. Like my whiskey hot, so generally gravitate towards barrel proof or cask strength versions, which bumps the cost up. Here's one man's opinion:

Best under $30: Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Very Old Barton, Weller Antique 107
Best under $70: Knob Creek 12, Old Forester 1920, Barrell New Year, Weller 12, Blanton's, Four Roses Single Barrel Cask Strength (any mash)
Best PERIOD!: Old Forester 1920, Joseph Magnus, Blanton's Gold, Ol' Fangled Knotter Bourbon,

Best everyday drink while I'm watching:

Knob Creek 12 year Old Forester 1920 Barrell New Year Booker's Backyard BBQ
Builett Cask Strength Henry McKenna BNB Weller 12

After a victory, I might splurge:

George T Stagg, Sr. Old Rip Van Winkle Blanton's Gold
Joseph Magnus Ol' Fangled Knotter Blood Oath 3rd or 4th

Everything is drunk neat. The George T. might get a drop of water to open up the aromatics, but that generally doesn't happen. I love the mouth-feel of the hot stuff.

For those of you who like to mix your bourbon, I would recommend Very Old Barton. It's the best $15 bottle of bourbon you will find (unless you live in Kentucky and can find Heaven Hill 6 year Green Label).