Where will RB's move?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I hate to speculate on current players as it relates to transferring, but both would seem likely if they don't want to be around and not play. I don't really see a path to playing time for either, except possibly for Gantt in the slot. Time will tell.

I'd like to see Gantt get a look in the slot or maybe as a receiver. His HS film showed great moves, vision, and instinct in the open field.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
According to 247 Sports, Gantt did not get an offer from Clemson. Link:

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Xavier-Gantt-71350/RecruitInterests/
Recruited does not necessarily mean offered. If I remember his recruitment correctly he picked us very early and shut it down, so other schools probably didn't have much incentive to push hard for him. He's a guy I've always thought would end up a dynamite AB once he put on some more muscle. I see guys like him, Cottrell, Jarrett, etc being used as slot/RB hybrids...think what we saw from Pitt with Quadree Henderson. I actually think we'll look very similar to the type of offense Pitt showed us the last few years with a RB heavy attack, lots of guys coming across in motion looking for mismatches, only with a more athletic QB.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It’s possible that Gantt might get more playing time under the new regime, because he might not be called upon to block as much as he was under the previous regime.

We’ll just have to wait and see.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
:watching:

https://gtswarm.com/help/terms

Any member who is intentionally obnoxious, abusive, disruptive, repetitive, spammy, or "trolling" implied or not may be sent a warning as a reminder or even be banned without warning at the discretion of a moderator. These rules may be changed at any time without notice. However, if you have any feedback about the community rules or ways to improve the site in general please post here.

WOW!
You must make a living being and an engineer. i asked you a question. you gave a direct and complete complete answer. you deserve a pay raise!

Sorry for disrupting thread that is already disrupted by repetitive comments.

AS i posted above - in the 2 back set what AB would you like to have in the backfield?
Sure we need a solid bb like Benson who can block like crazy, start fast , cut and get yards after contact.

What characterisitics does the other back need to be or have?

I said Cotrell because he can block and he is very fast in straight line. MAybe he shold be a smaller guy to get into space for a dump pass.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
It's sort of unique to try to speculate this, but if we assumed for a moment that all of these kids were to stay and not transfer out, where would you project each of our scholarship RB's to play position wise next year? The most common places would be staying at RB, playing FB (likely for some of the BB's), or possibly moving to slot receiver or maybe DB? I seriously doubt we'll have 12 guys playing RB when we'll likely only have 1 on the field the vast majority of the time.

Seniors:
Nathan Cottrell
Omahri Jarrett
Kirvante Benson

Juniors:
Jerry Howard
Xavier Gantt

Sophomores:
Jordan Mason

Freshmen:
Tijai Whatley
Dontae Smith
Christian Malloy

Incoming:
Tony Amerson
Devin Ellison
(possibly Griffin?)
I think a couple of those running backs could transfer out when it becomes certain that they wont be starting

Milwaukee

Banned
:watching:

https://gtswarm.com/help/terms

Any member who is intentionally obnoxious, abusive, disruptive, repetitive, spammy, or "trolling" implied or not may be sent a warning as a reminder or even be banned without warning at the discretion of a moderator. These rules may be changed at any time without notice. However, if you have any feedback about the community rules or ways to improve the site in general please post here.

Consistency is all the members really ask for. When posts and posters are cherry picked by mods is where the confusion is. Animals post is straight up trolling according to your quoted post right here. Consistency is all that is needed.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Consistency is all the members really ask for. When posts and posters are cherry picked by mods is where the confusion is. Animals post is straight up trolling according to your quoted post right here. Consistency is all that is needed.

Animal must be one of the mod's alt accounts used to start arguments and drive traffic on the site. :cigar:

JK ;)

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Gantt had a pretty brutal leg injury in highschool and I don't know if he's been the same since. He was an early commit in his class so he was probably near the top of our board for A-Backs, and we honored his commitment even though he missed most of his senior year. He hasn't really made the rotation and I don't know if he will, but he didn't quit the team or transfer and he'll end up with a GT when all is said and done.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One more thing: I think Jarrett ends up returning punts next year.

If you look at his high school film, he's dy-no-mite doing returns. I was never sure why Paul didn't put him back there; probably something to do with Stewart having such sure hands and his size. We'll see, of course, but I don't know if the new staff will have a similarly risk averse mindset on returns.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
One more thing: I think Jarrett ends up returning punts next year.

If you look at his high school film, he's dy-no-mite doing returns. I was never sure why Paul didn't put him back there; probably something to do with Stewart having such sure hands and his size. We'll see, of course, but I don't know if the new staff will have a similarly risk averse mindset on returns.

I’d bet on Juanyeh.

Milwaukee

Banned

I wasn't trying to single you out specifically, I was being petty because I got hit for trolling for something exactly like your post there. No hard feelings, the mods here have given us a pretty long leash lately all things considered.

But stop with the damn eye roll emoji!

As for back on topic: I think we'll see Gantt and Cottrell stay in the backfield, especially in 3rd down situations. Howard will be a dynamic fullback with the right gameplan. Mason will stay as an every down back imo, but I don't think he'll be the starter.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Good article by Ken on Patenaude and what his thoughts are on the transition ---

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...h-offense-really-cool/7DDW4bvG5WdzM9nrr1h93N/
This is reassuring that we are not going to scrap the qb keeper which was 40 % of our plays. As Coach said he left us with athletes .
The good news is this o c guy comes from programs w fewer athletes to plug and play.
The bad news is he has not faced the talent he will see.

In game coaching adjustments like Coach are going to be tough to equal. Learn fast

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I’d bet on Juanyeh.
No reason to risk a starting safety on return duty. In fact, I suspect he won't be doing much returning next year except in close games. But I suppose he could be converted to a strictly return guy. I could live with that, though I wouldn't feel good about not having him on the field for most of the D snaps.