Where will RB's move?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we use Cottrell and Jarrett as RBs and WRs on sweeps simply because they are seniors and learning a new position may not be worth the investment at this point.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Some BS last season has to count towards Benson’s eligibility. The guy played in 5 quarters.

I think (may be mistaken) that Benson had a torn knee from HS he was recovering from that first year so the redshirt was partly out of necessity. If I’m remembering right we had asked him to take a gray shirt to not use a year of eligibility on rehab but he wanted to come in summer with the rest of the class. Generally medical waivers are granted when a guy loses 2 years to injury so he might be good to go.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think (may be mistaken) that Benson had a torn knee from HS he was recovering from that first year so the redshirt was partly out of necessity. If I’m remembering right we had asked him to take a gray shirt to not use a year of eligibility on rehab but he wanted to come in summer with the rest of the class. Generally medical waivers are granted when a guy loses 2 years to injury so he might be good to go.
This is right. One of the criteria for the medical waiver is that the redshirt year was taken because of an injury, not to just get bigger and stronger. If his freshman redshirt was because he was rehabbing (and I seem to remember that too), then his situation is the exact reason they made the rule.

Edit: I looked it up anyway. The rule has been modified slightly.

• The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
  • An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in cases where they have already used a redshirt unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete has to show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Did he play there any in highschool? Would be cool to check out some film

Good question. I honestly have know idea and I’m mostly thinking in this way due to how quick he hit the hole at bback. My untrained eye thinks his quickness doing that would translate well to filling a gap blitzing etc.

Making the right reads, ability to cover...? No idea.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Based on what I have observed, I think Benson, Howard, Mason and Malloy will be running backs . The rest of them are going to be re-purposed. I don't see many being receivers or defensive backs. More likely, scout team players, transfers or redshirts if not already taken.

Go Jackets!

yep, the emphasis is going to be on transfer--we just have too many guys at certain positions--all these backs that are slated for receiver are not only going to fight with a bunch of guys already here but with at least 3 recruits who look pretty darn good

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Jarrett May graduate and move on. Gantt may move on as well.

I hate to speculate on current players as it relates to transferring, but both would seem likely if they don't want to be around and not play. I don't really see a path to playing time for either, except possibly for Gantt in the slot. Time will tell.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Who knows how these guys are going to perform in Spring. Maybe Gantt and Jarrett ball out and take the starting spots. Different coaches, different formations, different system means that kids that may not have been too high on the depth chart have an opportunity to turn that all around. I don't foresee anyone leaving before they get a good feel for the system. Hope they all buy in and ball out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Who knows how these guys are going to perform in Spring. Maybe Gantt and Jarrett ball out and take the starting spots. Different coaches, different formations, different system means that kids that may not have been too high on the depth chart have an opportunity to turn that all around. I don't foresee anyone leaving before they get a good feel for the system. Hope they all buy in and ball out.

If no one knows until then...but we oversign.....

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Patience. We all should get a good idea on which RBs are playing which positions in the next annual spring T-Day scrimmage game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think that u can occasionally use 2 backs in the rpo .
I hope so because I would like to show strength running while we have a bunch of rb. I like benson as the everytown rb and cottrell as the second. Both could be effective blockers on max protect a check tovthec go long play. Also Cottrell is fast enough to stretch the safety thus giving kne on one coverage for wr from our new passing qb.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is trolling per Swarm rules.
:watching:

https://gtswarm.com/help/terms

Any member who is intentionally obnoxious, abusive, disruptive, repetitive, spammy, or "trolling" implied or not may be sent a warning as a reminder or even be banned without warning at the discretion of a moderator. These rules may be changed at any time without notice. However, if you have any feedback about the community rules or ways to improve the site in general please post here.