Where will RB's move?

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
It's sort of unique to try to speculate this, but if we assumed for a moment that all of these kids were to stay and not transfer out, where would you project each of our scholarship RB's to play position wise next year? The most common places would be staying at RB, playing FB (likely for some of the BB's), or possibly moving to slot receiver or maybe DB? I seriously doubt we'll have 12 guys playing RB when we'll likely only have 1 on the field the vast majority of the time.

Seniors:
Nathan Cottrell
Omahri Jarrett
Kirvante Benson

Juniors:
Jerry Howard
Xavier Gantt

Sophomores:
Jordan Mason

Freshmen:
Tijai Whatley
Dontae Smith
Christian Malloy

Incoming:
Tony Amerson
Devin Ellison
(possibly Griffin?)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It's sort of unique to try to speculate this, but if we assumed for a moment that all of these kids were to stay and not transfer out, where would you project each of our scholarship RB's to play position wise next year? The most common places would be staying at RB, playing FB (likely for some of the BB's), or possibly moving to slot receiver or maybe DB? I seriously doubt we'll have 12 guys playing RB when we'll likely only have 1 on the field the vast majority of the time.

Seniors:
Nathan Cottrell
Omahri Jarrett
Kirvante Benson

Juniors:
Jerry Howard
Xavier Gantt

Sophomores:
Jordan Mason

Freshmen:
Tijai Whatley
Dontae Smith
Christian Malloy

Incoming:
Tony Amerson
Devin Ellison
(possibly Griffin?)

Fun guesses.
Howard - Fullback
Gant - Slot WR
Jarrett - Slot WR
Whatley - Slot WR
Devin - Slot WR
Amerson - Fullback
The rest Running Backs including pt running back BJS.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Here are my predictions:

RB:
Benson
Howard
Amerson
Griffin (if he signs)
**If Benson is not healthy, and/or we don't sign Griffin, I'd guess we'll see Mason at RB also.

FB:
Mason
Malloy

Slot WR:
Cottrell
Gantt
Smith
Ellison

WR:
Whatley

Not Sure:
Jarrett

Deleted member 2897

My only disagreement is with Cottrell. He’s got sub 4.3 speed, but that’s straight line. He’s not shifty, so I don’t see him running routes (I could of course be wrong). I think he’s much better suited to be one of those scat backs who blocks the rush and then slides out into the flats for bubble screens and things. Give him a little space to get started and he’s in 6th gear.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
My only disagreement is with Cottrell. He’s got sub 4.3 speed, but that’s straight line. He’s not shifty, so I don’t see him running routes (I could of course be wrong). I think he’s much better suited to be one of those scat backs who blocks the rush and then slides out into the flats for bubble screens and things. Give him a little space to get started and he’s in 6th gear.
Maybe we could model our RBs like the Patriots
Michel=Benson/Mason
White=Cottrell
Burkhead=Howard
Develin=Malloy

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Based on what I have observed, I think Benson, Howard, Mason and Malloy will be running backs . The rest of them are going to be re-purposed. I don't see many being receivers or defensive backs. More likely, scout team players, transfers or redshirts if not already taken.

Go Jackets!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Nate Cottrell could be a NASTY Slot WR

Agree, i’m hoping he can be our version of Wes Welker

I think the fate (rb,fb or maybe lb?) of our B-backs will rest on how well they can run and make quick cuts etc out of the shotgun and passblock. Spring practice will sort it all out.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Are any of the upperclassmen on track to graduate before next fall? If so, might they consider grad transfer route to another school?

GTFLETCH

Banned
We are going to see somefolks (RB for sure plus some other players) transfer after Spring.... It is part of the process of changing from CPJ era to CGC era... IIWII

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
The good news w/ anyone who transfers is that there seems to be a very high level of interest w/ our existing players. I think most guys will want to stay based on the energy CGC is bringing which in turn means there is going to be some serious hustle offseason to prove they belong. I think we'll find that the guys that are at the bottom of the depth chart at end of Spring will move on due to lack of opportunity. Either way, what we'll be left with is some guys that not only worked their tail off to belong but are "all in" mentally. Basically, our transfers won't be due to players not wanting to play in the scheme.