Where the Program stands

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If you believe the people that think Long was brought in to take over as head coach then Long is in an interesting spot. He needs to do well enough that the offense looks better but not so good that we win too many games and save Collins job.
The sweet spot for him is if the offense shines but the defense flops. That happens and it's 10-1 odds he's our next HC.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If you believe the people that think Long was brought in to take over as head coach then Long is in an interesting spot. He needs to do well enough that the offense looks better but not so good that we win too many games and save Collins job.
Meh, as long as the right people are handling the right responsibilities and the job is getting done well, I don't care who has what title. Just don't sign/re-sign them to ridiculous contracts based on skillsets they don't have.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Story in the Athletic today on coaches on the way up and on the way down (guess where we come in ?). Here are the highlights :

"Perhaps only Scott Frost enters 2022 on a hotter seat than Geoff Collins, who goes into Year 4 in Atlanta having not won more than three games in a season."

"It was always going to require a complete culture turnover for Johnson’s successor, whomever it ended up being. Collins’ public persona has fallen flat amid all of the losses, and the program really needs to examine how it got to this point and how it will dig itself out."

"These are tough, tough times for Georgia Tech, and it’s on Collins right now to coach his way out of them during a season that opens with Clemson and closes at Georgia."

So to a national publication, Collins is in trouble and his schtick has "fallen flat" The logos, the jargon, all the stuff that "isn't for us, it's for the recruits" - it's not working when you can't win games. Not message board negativity, not "the Johnson army", etc... We are where we are chiefly because this has failed to date. Maybe it changes this season, but there are no predictors right now that that is the case. Collins is on a very hot seat and a tough start make a change a foregone conclusion.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
it’s a little bit different to compare a flexbone attack to what we attempted to run last year (and what we will be running this year). even then we’d been awful against clemson as venables sole purpose in life seemed to be derailing paul johnson lol

i would love to know why people think yates would have succeeded in the option. i didn’t see any elite traits that we saw with the other qbs (nesbitt’s size and strength, tevins feel for the mesh, JTs explosiveness, tobias and taquons elusiveness). im not sure he would have beat out james graham at any point if johnson was still the coach
I agree that Paul would have had a pretty good QB room with Graham, Oliver, and Yates. I don't know who would have won out, but I doubt it would have been Yates. Paul liked experienced QBs so it would probably have been Oliver, then Graham.But he didn't recruit Yates to play his first year; he was probably slated to compete when he was aa red-shirt sophomore. (Right about now, iow.) But all of this is speculation. He might have played right away; he might have transferred.

I don't blame Vendables much. He had better have prepared for Paul. He was 5 - 7 against the Tiggers and often gave them fits.

slugboy

Staff member
While I’m not the one making the decision…
  • It would be a feat and a half to pull your punches just well enough to lose but make the defensive coaches look bad
  • It’s a lot easier just to get the players playing their best, and winning helps a ton there
  • If Long coaches well enough to save Collins’ job, he’ll have a HC job really quickly. It might not be here but it will be soon
  • His best audition for a job is his best work, period
  • This whole line of reasoning assumes Collins won’t save his own job.

JacketFan137

Banned
While I’m not the one making the decision…
  • It would be a feat and a half to pull your punches just well enough to lose but make the defensive coaches look bad
  • It’s a lot easier just to get the players playing their best, and winning helps a ton there
  • If Long coaches well enough to save Collins’ job, he’ll have a HC job really quickly. It might not be here but it will be soon
  • His best audition for a job is his best work, period
  • This whole line of reasoning assumes Collins won’t save his own job.
our offense in most major team stats was closer to the 70s range and has been showing some steady and slow improvement while the defense was bottom of the pack in everything. i would imagine one possible outcome is the offense improves but the defense stays the same. collins has assumed more responsibility of the defense if you believe what is reported and what he says. if our offense looks better and sims looks much improved but collins fails to get us into bowl contention then hiring long is 100% the way to go

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know whats going on with this:

I see one of the basketball players is saying the same thing, but I may be wrong because I don't know how Twitter works with responses.

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
Anyone know whats going on with this:

I see one of the basketball players is saying the same thing, but I may be wrong because I don't know how Twitter works with responses.

i believe it is the NIL collective we created a while back. seems to be starting up soon. hopefully has some significant paydays

JacketFan137

Banned
If the "big news" is "Look at how much money I am going to make" and not "Look how many games we are going to win" ... we're doomed.
to get and KEEP the talent to win games we better have an effective NIL group. can’t have wins without it in this new era of college football

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Paul would have had a pretty good QB room with Graham, Oliver, and Yates. I don't know who would have won out, but I doubt it would have been Yates. Paul liked experienced QBs so it would probably have been Oliver, then Graham.But he didn't recruit Yates to play his first year; he was probably slated to compete when he was aa red-shirt sophomore. (Right about now, iow.) But all of this is speculation. He might have played right away; he might have transferred.

I don't blame Vendables much. He had better have prepared for Paul. He was 5 - 7 against the Tiggers and often gave them fits.

You are actually forgetting one other QB. Demetrius Knight would be a bruiser in that offense he was recruited likely to do the QB or BB role. The way i see it Oliver would have probably rolled out to A back if graham had shown he had the decision making ability to take over the slot. Graham was obviously also a potential to slide to A-back or transfer sicne we got him on the field as a freshman at WR.

Yates was likely a tevin washington guy. But yates was also not a low rated QB coming out of HS so he very well could have pushed it and taken over.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
to get and KEEP the talent to win games we better have an effective NIL group. can’t have wins without it in this new era of college football
So you're saying that Sims is to announce the big news that we're KEEPING talent to win games? Or announce a big change in NIL at Tech? I doubt it. But we will see ... (that's kinda of the AD's job, isn't it?)

(Of course we have to have an effective NIL group. But when players start spending more time on NIL than studying/practicing plays, we aren't going to win and we won't keep players. It's called focus and I fear we will lose sight of what really matters ... playing and winning. I follow a pro golfer on Patreon and he makes a modest income on his site. I asked him by private message how much time he spends on Patreon vs. actually practicing golf. It's 3X. So he's trying to monetize the skills he has rather than develop the skills he needs. And probably a big reason why he's going to be working at ****'s Sporting Goods instead of playing the Tour.)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Which entering freshmen may have an impact? I am anxious to see how Efford does this year. He is likely to see special teams but could see some LB play. That is a position with ?? about who plays opposite Ely. Tatum? Knight? Thomas? Do we play 3 DL or 4 this year. Biggers gives size for 3 DL as NG. He is one large guy. Not sure how many plays he stays in due to stamina on hot days but he held his own as a freshman when was in there. I am not as worried about the secondary as our DL and LB play this year. It must be better for any real chance of success this year.

JacketFan137

Banned
So you're saying that Sims is to announce the big news that we're KEEPING talent to win games? Or announce a big change in NIL at Tech? I doubt it. But we will see ... (that's kinda of the AD's job, isn't it?)

(Of course we have to have an effective NIL group. But when players start spending more time on NIL than studying/practicing plays, we aren't going to win and we won't keep players. It's called focus and I fear we will lose sight of what really matters ... playing and winning. I follow a pro golfer on Patreon and he makes a modest income on his site. I asked him by private message how much time he spends on Patreon vs. actually practicing golf. It's 3X. So he's trying to monetize the skills he has rather than develop the skills he needs. And probably a big reason why he's going to be working at ****'s Sporting Goods instead of playing the Tour.)
NIL is part of the game now. like many things in sports you gotta get with it or get lost. i’m sure analytics guys were just nerds who needed to actually play the game rather than play on spreadsheets but look at every sport and how analytically driven everything is. if we don’t have a competitive NIL program set up then we aren’t going to compete in p5 football. that’s kinda the bottom line at this point and going forward

slugboy

Staff member
If Collins still has a job after this season, it'll be because of the new assistants.

Partially. If all the improvement is because of assistants, I don't think that's enough to save his job. He's got to get the defense turned around. He's on a performance plan.
The new assistants are a lifeline, but he's got to perform too.

It's been said here that the difference between 6-6 vs 8-4 isn't much, but the difference between 8-4 vs 10-2 is huge. I've been assuming that the difference between 3-9 and 6-6 isn't huge and that it's easy to get a team up to average performance. The last three years seem to say that the difference between 3 wins and 5 wins is huge.

It's also been posted that if the DBs had just run the defenses that they'd been told to run, then we'd have had 6 wins. But they didn't. Things gotta change on defense for us to win.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
NIL is part of the game now. like many things in sports you gotta get with it or get lost. i’m sure analytics guys were just nerds who needed to actually play the game rather than play on spreadsheets but look at every sport and how analytically driven everything is. if we don’t have a competitive NIL program set up then we aren’t going to compete in p5 football. that’s kinda the bottom line at this point and going forward
I suppose we will have to see what Sims "big news" is.

Deleted member 4558

Bottom line. Georgia Tech Football will soon be like Minor league baseball. The Gwinnett Braves of college football. Side note: Gwinnett team are called the Stripers. Did not know that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
it’s definitely the NIL group. it’s been teased for a few weeks so i guess we’re getting the formal reveal in the coming days. as to what they’ll reveal about the program we don’t know
I am sure you are probably right. But my point remains the same. If players spend more time worried about NIL $ than practicing, playing and perfecting their skills ... they won't ultimately be happy with the results. Let's see what Sims says ...