Where the Program stands

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Tech has accepted kids with learning disabilities for a while. I knew several guys during my time that would take tests separately from the rest of their classmates and usually got like 2x as long to take it and some "assistance" while doing so. I think they just had doctor's notes saying they had ADHD or something, no significant/noticeable disability, but I know there was a guy I had several classes with that had a very pronounced disability who did the same.
It’s not a Dr’s note. It is much harder than that.

In order to have additional time, you have to have had a neuropsych evaluation by a licensed psychologist and have an IEP (Individual Education Plan) in place in the school that indicates extended time. This is a collaboration between about 6 professionals within the school and is not just granted. You have to actually use the extra time while taking tests in HS in order to have extended time for standardized testing. Typically it is 1.5X the normal time. It also can include standing and breaks.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And this is the point, in my opinion. Even Harvard allows some students in who are not top of their class out of high school. There is no disgrace in giving people a chance to have a quality education. Hell, that’s the American way. What I contend is different about Tech and Harvard from some other colleges I could name is that you actually have to do the work to be able to stay in school and he eligible to play sports.
An aside. I had a student a few years back who, on a lark, applied to Harvard Law. (He did it because his Mom said sh'd pay for it.) This guy had graduated from our college with a 2.4 grade average and scored in the mid-50s on the LSAT. He made the final cut at Harvard. Why?

Well, first he had survived two bouts with skin cancer (baseball player) and had still graduated on time. My guess is that the entrance committee at Harvard was pretty sure that they couldn't throw anything tougher then that at him. But the second reason is more to your point. I found out that every year Harvard admits students who are just not as smart as their normal run of students. The reason goes back to the 70's. Suicides among Harvard students had become a real problem. As you might expect, they did some research and found out that the main reason some Harvard students were depressed enough to kill themselves was that they had all been stars in high school and now found themselves in a place where not only were they normal, but they were even below average. Solution = let in a few students that these people could feel superior to.

Like my baseball player who almost made it. (Disclaimer: I don't know if they still do this.)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
It’s not a Dr’s note. It is much harder than that.

In order to have additional time, you have to have had a neuropsych evaluation by a licensed psychologist and have an IEP (Individual Education Plan) in place in the school that indicates extended time. This is a collaboration between about 6 professionals within the school and is not just granted. You have to actually use the extra time while taking tests in HS in order to have extended time for standardized testing. Typically it is 1.5X the normal time. It also can include standing and breaks.
Ok sure, not a doctor's note. I don't know the process, I'm not concerned about the process, it doesn't apply to me. Only going off of what I remember being told by multiple people I knew that got the extra testing time. Not sure what high school testing has to do with it?

The bigger point was that yes, Tech does admit students with learning disabilities.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Ok sure, not a doctor's note. I don't know the process, I'm not concerned about the process, it doesn't apply to me. Only going off of what I remember being told by multiple people I knew that got the extra testing time. Not sure what high school testing has to do with it?

The bigger point was that yes, Tech does admit students with learning disabilities.
Didn't happen when I was in school in the 60's and early 70's. I would have not felt extra time on quizzes and final exams was fair. I guess it is a result of the AWDA. Lots of kids diagnosed with ADD these days as well.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
An aside. I had a student a few years back who, on a lark, applied to Harvard Law. (He did it because his Mom said sh'd pay for it.) This guy had graduated from our college with a 2.4 grade average and scored in the mid-50s on the LSAT. He made the final cut at Harvard. Why?

Well, first he had survived two bouts with skin cancer (baseball player) and had still graduated on time. My guess is that the entrance committee at Harvard was pretty sure that they couldn't throw anything tougher then that at him. But the second reason is more to your point. I found out that every year Harvard admits students who are just not as smart as their normal run of students. The reason goes back to the 70's. Suicides among Harvard students had become a real problem. As you might expect, they did some research and found out that the main reason some Harvard students were depressed enough to kill themselves was that they had all been stars in high school and now found themselves in a place where not only were they normal, but they were even below average. Solution = let in a few students that these people could feel superior to.

Like my baseball player who almost made it. (Disclaimer: I don't know if they still do this.)
I’ve had this conversation many times over the years on sites like this. Good schools try to create balance and diversity in their classes. Research shows it actually improves the learning atmosphere. It also prepares people for the real world. “Ivy towers” can be myopic otherwise. Getting into college is not a reward that says you have arrived it is an opportunity that asks what you are going to do with it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Didn't happen when I was in school in the 60's and early 70's. I would have not felt extra time on quizzes and final exams was fair. I guess it is a result of the AWDA. Lots of kids diagnosed with ADD these days as well.

I went to K-12 and then got out before all this "extra time" and other accomodations were allowed. I have struggled with it a bit as I can see how it truly does aid and benefit some students who have actual needs. (FWIW, many parents now lobby for it without cause as they want a competitive advantage for their child.) With that being said, how does a student who gets time and a half on an assignment benefit in the real world where there are no "extra time" accomodations to get things done? Apologies for getting off track but some of this is pretty compelling (imo). We can move to another thread if need be.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
The sweet spot for him is if the offense shines but the defense flops. That happens and it's 10-1 odds he's our next HC.

I'd say the sweet spot is offense shines, we win more than we lose, and I (Long) ask for a big raise out of Collins salary for saving his job...... bc I think ADTS more hired him than Collins.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As someone with a son who is on the Autism spectrum the topic of accommodations is important to me, but I think it is better to have its own thread so we can keep this one more focused on transfers.

I've started a topic on it in the Lounge for anyone who is interested.

slugboy

Staff member
So if we have 4 scholarships left what do people see as our biggest needs to try to fill out of the portal?

#1 on my list would be DL - both interior and edge.
For me, "best player available" on DL, OL, or LB.
We have enough needs that the best fit in any of those areas would work

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

My point was that it's much, much more than just a Dr's note. Anyone can get a Dr's note. Very few get extra time. The reason HS testing is part of the equation is because if you don't use the accommodation for regular school, you don't get to use the accommodation for standardized testing. Also, the same thing goes for college.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Same time frame for me, and I'm not sure extra time would have made much difference, because the exams were typically so disconnected from one's mastery of the subject, as to render extra time almost useless. Back then, Ma was still weeding, at least during first 2 years.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Well, geez, that might explain why they let me in then. I always wondered...LOL

Tennessee GT Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Right now i think the program is where it was 1979-1983 and 1929-1934. I as an optimist think things will turn around eventually with a new head coach where GT goes to bowl games most years.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins has never been able to build or maintain a program. While at Templet, the cool coach turned a program into highly undisciplined locker room and it showed on game days. GT game days are pure slop. Has Collins
Learned to listen? He needs the advice of older successful coaches. He can’t continue coaching like the fun dad with every other weekend visitation.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Right now i think the program is where it was 1979-1983 and 1929-1934. I as an optimist think things will turn around eventually with a new head coach where GT goes to bowl games most years.
I think the program is in better shape than 1979-83. I was there during that time and the discussion was to end the athletics program. The facilities were awful (remember the old Navy Armory?), the current Edge had not even been built.

Today, we have the 2020 Initiative and a new Edge underway. Fundraising in general appears ok and we have upgraded many of our coaches (still have one to go). I get the fact that whoever followed CPJ was going to undertake the Greatest Transformation in the History of the Earth, so let's just put an exclamation point there.

Geoff's time will end and a new coach will take over. Butch is gone at UT (Geoff reminds me of Butch a lot) and Heupel has them on a good, steady path. Are we in a bad spot? Yes. Are we as bad as 79-83? Not yet.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Collins has never been able to build or maintain a program. While at Templet, the cool coach turned a program into highly undisciplined locker room and it showed on game days. GT game days are pure slop. Has Collins
Learned to listen? He needs the advice of older successful coaches. He can’t continue coaching like the fun dad with every other weekend visitation.
This is silly. How many years at Temple (his first head coach gig)? How many years at Tech (His 2nd gig)? 2 and 3 years are insufficient to “build” a program, so your statement has no basis.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the program is in better shape than 1979-83. I was there during that time and the discussion was to end the athletics program. The facilities were awful (remember the old Navy Armory?), the current Edge had not even been built.

Today, we have the 2020 Initiative and a new Edge underway. Fundraising in general appears ok and we have upgraded many of our coaches (still have one to go). I get the fact that whoever followed CPJ was going to undertake the Greatest Transformation in the History of the Earth, so let's just put an exclamation point there.

Geoff's time will end and a new coach will take over. Butch is gone at UT (Geoff reminds me of Butch a lot) and Heupel has them on a good, steady path. Are we in a bad spot? Yes. Are we as bad as 79-83? Not yet.
The discussion to end the participation in the top level of NCAA had all to do with the traitors' letters to our recruits and commits and a few straws that stirred the cauldron.