Votes: 60 43.2%
  • I am finding other things to do on Saturdays

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • To Hell With Georgia

Votes: 42 30.2%

• Total voters

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm obviously upset and mad that we're 4-4 and not 7-1 (8-1/8-2 if we had played UCF), but sometimes **** just doesn't go your way in the worst kind of ways. I like our offense, but wish our passing accuracy was better. I don't care if we don't throw all over the field, but when we can't hit wide open people its frustrating. Our OL depth has been hurting us this year with injuries and such. Some of that could be put on needing to recruit more OL in the future, but no one knows that one kid wants to do nascar, one wants to do art school, one may want to become a professional dominos player for all I know.

If we don't make a bowl game for the second time in 3 years, I'll be pretty upset after the run we went on. FSU literally rescheduled a game they weren't originally going to reschedule because without it their bowl streak ends, so its not like **** happens bc it does. We have one of the harder schedules in the country. Our first games were easier, but If you look at our schedule (and I'm counting UCF bc they were on our schedule whether we played them or not), we have 5 teams in the top 20, 3 in the top 10 and 2 in the top 4 as potential playoff teams. Thats a ridiculously tough schedule.

We were 1 play away from beating Miami in a downpour who you could say is in the same tier and is definitely better than VT. To me, that says we can also get into a situation where we need to make 1 play to beat VT and we just need to make that play this time around.

With VT, Miami, and even UVA getting better and our permanent cross over rival Clemson, and permanent rival UGA. Our schedule is constantly going to be harder than a lot of teams in the ACC (especially with random games against ND). I hope the school and athletic department do what they need to do to keep us competitive, whether its increase recruiting and operations staff, pay coordinators more money, or change the style of the team. I like CPJ and the option, but I'm not gonna throw a fit if we change it to something else. GT before everything else.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm obviously upset and mad that we're 4-4 and not 7-1 (8-1/8-2 if we had played UCF), but sometimes **** just doesn't go your way in the worst kind of ways. I like our offense, but wish our passing accuracy was better. I don't care if we don't throw all over the field, but when we can't hit wide open people its frustrating. Our OL depth has been hurting us this year with injuries and such. Some of that could be put on needing to recruit more OL in the future, but no one knows that one kid wants to do nascar, one wants to do art school, one may want to become a professional dominos player for all I know.

If we don't make a bowl game for the second time in 3 years, I'll be pretty upset after the run we went on. FSU literally rescheduled a game they weren't originally going to reschedule because without it their bowl streak ends, so its not like **** happens bc it does. We have one of the harder schedules in the country. Our first games were easier, but If you look at our schedule (and I'm counting UCF bc they were on our schedule whether we played them or not), we have 5 teams in the top 20, 3 in the top 10 and 2 in the top 4 as potential playoff teams. Thats a ridiculously tough schedule.

We were 1 play away from beating Miami in a downpour who you could say is in the same tier and is definitely better than VT. To me, that says we can also get into a situation where we need to make 1 play to beat VT and we just need to make that play this time around.

With VT, Miami, and even UVA getting better and our permanent cross over rival Clemson, and permanent rival UGA. Our schedule is constantly going to be harder than a lot of teams in the ACC (especially with random games against ND). I hope the school and athletic department do what they need to do to keep us competitive, whether its increase recruiting and operations staff, pay coordinators more money, or change the style of the team. I like CPJ and the option, but I'm not gonna throw a fit if we change it to something else. GT before everything else.

Great post. Couldnt agree more.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The Virginia loss bothered me the most this year, by far.

Miami outplayed us (no matter what folks like to think). So did Clemson. Simply better athletes at both those programs. UT...we beat ourselves with correctable mistakes. Frustrating, but we did outplay them badly.

Virginia was inexplicable to me. No, I do NOT buy the "rain" excuse. We seem to be regressing as the season progresses and that disturbs me. I thought we'd have trouble at UVa but never really believed we would lose that game. I feel like we are simply better than they are. I mean, they got drilled by a Pitt team that we beat handily. They played very close games with UNC and Duke (the cellar dwellers of the ACC). We had no business losing that game, but we did. THAT bothers me more than any other game. Our passing was nothing short of terrible (not just the throws but the reads) and our reads on the runs weren't great either. The passing worries me the most as two of our remaining three opponents can shut down our rushing attack if we can't throw the ball.

I could be OK with 5-3 (thinking it really should have been 6-2 because of UT). But 4-4 and seemingly going downhill definitely has me discouraged.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The Virginia loss bothered me the most this year, by far.

Miami outplayed us (no matter what folks like to think). So did Clemson. Simply better athletes at both those programs. UT...we beat ourselves with correctable mistakes. Frustrating, but we did outplay them badly.

Virginia was inexplicable to me. No, I do NOT buy the "rain" excuse. We seem to be regressing as the season progresses and that disturbs me. I thought we'd have trouble at UVa but never really believed we would lose that game. I feel like we are simply better than they are. I mean, they got drilled by a Pitt team that we beat handily. They played very close games with UNC and Duke (the cellar dwellers of the ACC). We had no business losing that game, but we did. THAT bothers me more than any other game. Our passing was nothing short of terrible (not just the throws but the reads) and our reads on the runs weren't great either. The passing worries me the most as two of our remaining three opponents can shut down our rushing attack if we can't throw the ball.

I could be OK with 5-3 (thinking it really should have been 6-2 because of UT). But 4-4 and seemingly going downhill definitely has me discouraged.
Flush it and move on. Each week is a new season. That’s what the team does.

Jmonty71

Banned
I didn't call you a troll, I said that this post was a great thread because it will draw the trolls. I respect differing opinions. I'm pretty sure @Jmonty71 and I differ greatly on our opinions on the D, and we'll rip each other apart here on the blogs, then turn around and share a beer at the tailgates together.

This thread, however, is trollish, as evidenced by the choices in your poll questions, and as such, it will draw all the blog trolls like flies to, well, you know. So we can have debates, and I enjoy good debates, as long as we stick to facts, and not feelings. Asking where everyone's "head is at," however, is a good question if you're wiling to accept all the answers. My head is looking forward to seeing our boys take two in a row against VPISU this Saturday. If you will be there, and want to join us, contact @Supersizethatorder-mutt and he can get you directions to our tailgate. If not, then I hope you can make it to a game soon and cheer on our boys in person.
Yeah.... Pretty much. :)

Jmonty71

Banned
Here's the thing. This year, we have been our own worst enemy. Minus the Clemson game, we were in each game. However; in each game we made numerous mistakes. The offense is off. We cannot act surprised. We lost JT, one of the best QBs, we had. We have a first year starter, at QB. We do not have a game controlling defense. We have a D good enough to keep us in games and such. But, not one that can just straight control the other team. Our TOP is not as good as it has been. Our points scored are definitely off. Here is the good news. With each game, we get more experience . I think we'll be in better position and do better, next year. If we make a bowl, that is just a bonus. If we can knock UGA out of the playoff picture, that would be divine.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing. This year, we have been our own worst enemy. Minus the Clemson game, we were in each game. However; in each game we made numerous mistakes. The offense is off. We cannot act surprised. We lost JT, one of the best QBs, we had. We have a first year starter, at QB. We do not have a game controlling defense. We have a D good enough to keep us in games and such. But, not one that can just straight control the other team. Our TOP is not as good as it has been. Our points scored are definitely off. Here is the good news. With each game, we get more experience . I think we'll be in better position and do better, next year. If we make a bowl, that is just a bonus. If we can knock UGA out of the playoff picture, that would be divine.
This is the rebuilding year that nobody saw coming. QB is so important to our O.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is the rebuilding year that nobody saw coming. QB is so important to our O.
I guess your right, but with all the players we had coming back ( OL , A-backs ) I just didn't see it. But lack of depth hurt us at the OL and injuries did not help them. How many games this year have we only had 5 or 6 players at OL for a game ? And you are right QB is soooo important to our offense. I do hope we get to play one of the backups a little to get some experience.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
What coach in the history of football has decided to put 2 QBs in the backfield at the same time when the offense struggles?

Screens and draws work when defenses blitz. Teams don't blitz us.

90% of the time we are balanced, with a WR split to each side and ABs lining up in the backfield. Please diagram and show how we need to run picks on pass routes.

When we fail on offense due to missed assignments, I hope he will continue to blame missed assignments.
What coach in the history of football has decided to put 2 QBs in the backfield at the same time when the offense struggles?

Screens and draws work when defenses blitz. Teams don't blitz us.

90% of the time we are balanced, with a WR split to each side and ABs lining up in the backfield. Please diagram and show how we need to run picks on pass routes.

When we fail on offense due to missed assignments, I hope he will continue to blame missed assignments.
Thanks for your expert opinions. I'll keep mine to myself next time. Sheesh

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I would qualify that by saying this is a rebuilding year in offense. The defense is about as deep and experienced as it has been at Tech. Seniors and Juniors all over the two deep. We're graduating something like 6 starters on that side after this year.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we're on the cusp of being a good team. In fact I think we're a good team that could easily be a one loss team. None of our wins are close but nearly all of our losses could've gone either way.

I dont line saying it and most don't like hearing it, but next year could line up really nice for this team.

I think we catch a downtrodden va tech, duke could go either way because its duke (weird timeline saying that) and UGA is an interesting one.

This season has been rough but we've shown flashes and it could be a very different feeling g right now if a few more things went our way.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I was not surprised at all by losing to UVA. I have been up to that horrible place a number of times with us having the better team, and most of the time we lose. We have won twice since 1990 when we beat #1 Uva to propel ourselves to the National Championship.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
J,
you are right except for one important point--we have a VERY experienced DEF team--7 starters returned (esp the DBs) yet again it was passing that killed us vs uva so exp is not the base problem.

DirtyDingusMagee

Georgia Tech Fan
While I'd be lying if I said I am not disappointed, imagine how the kids feel. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you'd like. I'm optimistic that this can be a good life lesson in how to pick themselves up and finish strong when things have not gone their way so far. They did it last year after a less than ideal start. This team is good enough to do it again.

There's still a lot to play for: 8-4 with the canceled game (and bowl win) is a solid record, and that would also mean ruining the season of those peckerheads from Athens along the way (yes, that game is winnable). As for this week, I'm getting fired up just thinking about how it would turn momentum around to come away with a win vs. VT. Maybe I'm wrong, but VT hasn't exactly set the world on fire this season, either. Again, winnable.

Bottom line: GT can win every game left on its schedule. They can also lose any game left on the schedule. I'm old enough to remember a day when some games were simply not winnable, so I'll take that and will remain the eternal optimist. I'll be there Saturday, geared up and ready to go. Go Jackets!