Votes: 60 43.2%
  • I am finding other things to do on Saturdays

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • To Hell With Georgia

Votes: 42 30.2%

• Total voters

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I am pretty shot right now. I got banned on here after the loss to zima drinking UVA, threw a TV guide across the room and hit my dog and he wont come near me now and to top it all off because my dog would no longer listen to me he ran off and was hit by an old Ford Bronco driven by a guy who looked a lot like ex-steeler Rashard Mendenhall. Needless to say this loss has taken the wind out of my sails and the permanent maiming of my dog.

All of this to say, I cannot get randy for this upcoming game. Im apoplectic. Neutered. Numb. VT is usually my favorite game. 4-4 is not what I expected. Not what I thought.

Can we win out? Maybe. But not likely. Even the Falcons are killing me. UGA is undefeated. I am in hell.

Where yall at?
Is your dog ok?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, I am caring less and less about this season. It just hasn't gone well, we have played poorly at times, had heartbreaking losses due partly to sheer luck, played too much in the pouring down rain, and had one of our games cancelled, UGA is #1, etc. I do still have a little enthusiasm left for the VT game. If we lose that, I doubt I will muster up much enthusiasm for the last two games. Thankfully, Basketball is starting.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Bottom line: GT can win every game left on its schedule. They can also lose any game left on the schedule. I'm old enough to remember a day when some games were simply not winnable, so I'll take that and will remain the eternal optimist. I'll be there Saturday, geared up and ready to go. Go Jackets!

I'll be there, too. Go Jackets!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'll be in Section 107, in my seat, cheering the Brave and Bold ... as any Jacket fan should.

Re CPJ, I think he's a good coach and has done us a world of good in providing stability to our program. As I stated elsewhere, of the 30 college coaches hired in 2008, only 3 are still with their teams. Stability is a good thing.

What CPJ lacks though, IMO, is a multi-year view. Can he win at the same level consistently? No. That's why I continue to think we have less of a football "program" and more of a football "team". It's year to year.

Still, I have my season tix and look forward to the VT game. Sometimes, you can catch lightning in a bottle.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What CPJ lacks though, IMO, is a multi-year view. Can he win at the same level consistently? No. That's why I continue to think we have less of a football "program" and more of a football "team". It's year to year.

I think we could if we hadn't had so much attrition the last couple of years. If you look at the OL who walked away, Klock, Griffin and others, the loss of Marshall and Mills at BB, and then toss in the normal amount of injuries, it makes it hard to stay consistent. This is where I am hoping TStan can help with adding recruiting and football staff to help stem some of this attrition and improve OL recruiting. I agree with your diagnosis, but I think we need to look at root cause, not just the symptoms. Until we properly fund the football program, we are going to see inconsistencies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think we could if we hadn't had so much attrition the last couple of years.

When I was running companies, my boss would always say "It's only special cause when it happens once. If it happens every year, it's common cause and you have a system problem."

The football operations have a systemic problem. And yes, I'm hoping TStan is the Man to fix it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
gt has been a feel good team. I think I finally realized our issue. We had big heads for some reason. It finally took this loss to wake em up. Staring at 5-6 in the eyes, 500 team, blowing games left and right; same 2 min defense issues as last year, same lack of execution excuse and "its our fault" BS for the past x years.

For some reason, this team thought for a long time, even after losing to UT; they were legit.

And the loss to Miami didn't wake em up; it validated in their minds that they were good but unlucky. (when really, they just aren't that good)

Clemson they just tossed aside cuz its clemson

but the loss to UVA, finally, got home. I think now, they realize you are who your record is. Stop talking. Stop acting like you are legendary. Stop acting like we are good

Because we are not. We are a 500 team. That can't finish games. Period.

All offseason, it was Freeman stating "our focus is to have GT have good back to back seasons, because here its like we are up and down" The teams focus was to "finish games". This coming from the defense leader. Where was that? how did that show up? this offseason was "the hardest of your time here"?

It was all talk. The team was all talk. A feel good team. None of their focus curing exactly what they wanted to cure showed up on the field this year. In fact, it was EXACTLY the opposite. There is more to this year than just lack of execution. Its false senses. focus. arrogance in spots. Awful mind numbing playcalls at the oddest times. Etc. Like Paul said, its a team failure for sure.

Lets hope we can win the next one.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I wish our kicking game / ST were rebuilding. It has crashed and burned. I don't think we have another kicker committed.

O is rebuilding.

D is cresting.

Honestly with King and David the PK duties will get better and better. Both show consistency (after the TN fiasco) and leg strength can be improved through the S&C program. Coverage teams HAVE to show major improvement. P is is excellent hands with Harvin.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wish our kicking game / ST were rebuilding. It has crashed and burned. I don't think we have another kicker committed.

O is rebuilding.

D is cresting.
If we had a giant recruiting support staff like say, uh, Clemson, we could maybe find one. The rich get richer for a reason.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Honestly with King and David the PK duties will get better and better. Both show consistency (after the TN fiasco) and leg strength can be improved through the S&C program. Coverage teams HAVE to show major improvement. P is is excellent hands with Harvin.

Next year should be a vast improvement for King. Groin injuries linger, and need rest to completely heal. If he can rest it over the winter, I wouldn't be shocked to see a completely different kicker next spring in King. The other half of that issue is coverage, where King is not the problem. THAT needs just as much attention.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's not a support staff issue, it's a why would we spend two scholarships on a kicker issue. Our PK is a TFr, so we likely won't recruit another until he graduates unless he leaves early.
We need a guy who can reach the goal line on kickoffs and hit field goals 40 yards in regularly. Find him, make him a PWO and promise him a scholly if he beats out the starter. It's a major need on this team, it needs to be a major priority in recruiting until we get it solved.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We need a guy who can reach the goal line on kickoffs and hit field goals 40 yards in regularly

That guy is on our team right now. I'm telling you, once King fully heals, you will be amazed at the difference.

As for promising schollies for beating out the starters, that's seems nice, but are you going to cut the starter? If not, then that limits your scholarships for next year and beyond.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That guy is on our team right now. I'm telling you, once King fully heals, you will be amazed at the difference.

As for promising schollies for beating out the starters, that's seems nice, but are you going to cut the starter? If not, then that limits your scholarships for next year and beyond.
I hope you are right and I suspect you are. As to your second point, no, we won't cut the scholly kicker, but we give schollies to walkons all the time when they make the two deep. If one makes the 1 deep, we damn well better give him a scholly even if it screws up our numbers. That's the downside to recruiting... you never know who is gonna pan out or not. We have plenty of scholly players collecting splinters at other positions.

JCTNJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Watched East Tennessee State play VMI. ETSU has 2 placekickers better than any on Tech's roster. All kickoffs deep or out of end zone. Field goals 55yards. 60-65 in pregame warmups. One does everything 40 yards and in, the other does the long ones. These guys are out there, we need to get them. Its a shame Bulovas? got away...