Votes: 60 43.2%
  • I am finding other things to do on Saturdays

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • To Hell With Georgia

Votes: 42 30.2%

• Total voters

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This year has been a huge letdown. Last second gut wrenching losses to UT and Miami took a lot out of me, the Clemson game was expected but still hurt, but last week the crap we put on the field at uva just killed any enthusiasm I had for the season. I'll watch the remaining games, with the exception of the Saturday after Thanksgiving....I just don't think I can stomach that this year, but I have no expectations anymore.

I'm a 38 year old lifelong sidewalk fan. I graduated from Kennesaw State. I chose to be a Tech fan. Years like this are why there are not more of me.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Every season, Tech finds a way to break my heart and a way to amaze me. That's why I love it so damn much. We are the antithesis of uga, and I love that, too. I get to sit in seats that allow me to look down on the field where Heisman coached, where some of the most memorable games ever played in college football occurred. I get to look at the skyline that Tech grads built. I get to climb that damn hill like I did when I was young. There are new players each year to get excited about. There are few to no games where we have no chance of winning regardless of competition. No matter what happens in any given year, I have learned there are some amazing seasons on their way if I can just live long enough to see them. That has been the pattern since Grover Cleveland was President, and I've been lucky enough to see a number of them. I've missed three home games since 1983, and I regret missing those three games. I'll be there Saturday.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
We need a guy who can reach the goal line on kickoffs and hit field goals 40 yards in regularly. Find him, make him a PWO and promise him a scholly if he beats out the starter. It's a major need on this team, it needs to be a major priority in recruiting until we get it solved.

I admit I don't normally think a lot about the kicker. But, am I crazy, or didn't Butker struggle with kicking into the endzone his first year?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I hate to quote Lewis Grizzard, the late, great humorist and UGA grad at this point, but one of his books is particularly appropriate for Tech football fans in most years. The title?

They Tore My Heart Out And Stomped That Sucker Flat.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Watched East Tennessee State play VMI. ETSU has 2 placekickers better than any on Tech's roster. All kickoffs deep or out of end zone. Field goals 55yards. 60-65 in pregame warmups. One does everything 40 yards and in, the other does the long ones. These guys are out there, we need to get them. Its a shame Bulovas? got away...
If SAT scores were 920 and 1020, and GPA below 2.9 do you think that they would make it at GT?
(My data points are purely made up. Any similarities with the players is coincidental.)

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think I'm just going to wait until after Thanksgiving to give me view because so much can change in the next three weeks. If we miss a bowl again then CPJ will be on the hot seat next year, and with good cause. Missing two bowls in a three year span is really not acceptable. If we win out and beat UGA and VT again this year and go bowling I will consider the season a success. Only one real blow out loss, two rivalry wins, and a perfect home record. Both are possibilities and we need to just see how everything plays out.

I do feel some staff changes might need to be made this off season regardless, and I think we are allowed to add an additional coach per NCAA rules next year so hopefully we make a very good hire. I wouldn't mind another DL coach and splitting the duties interior/edge between two guys. Maybe a dedicated LB coach. Who knows, Roof's contract might not get renewed and we will need a whole new staff on that side of the ball.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I admit I don't normally think a lot about the kicker. But, am I crazy, or didn't Butker struggle with kicking into the endzone his first year?

Somewhat. Maybe what you remember is his kicking OOB 4 times his freshman year. But Buttkicker had a monster leg from the beginning. Every year his KO yardage average was about 63 yards and they were high and lots of hang time. His TB % was 41%, 60%, 66%, and 74% through is career. And his Jr & Sr year, he had no OOB kicks. http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/player/255/1055249/index.html

While King has a 60 yard average, his kicks don't have hang time and he has a 7% TB. Maybe he'll get better and maybe he won't. He should if the injury is affecting him, but he isn't close to Butker as a Fr. http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/255/1086957/index.html

In my opinion, the single most significant player we lost last year was Butker. The second player loss wasn't even close. ST are often the difference in games ...... I could write a lot, but with Butker we would be 7-1.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Somewhat. Maybe what you remember is his kicking OOB 4 times his freshman year. But Buttkicker had a monster leg from the beginning. Every year his KO yardage average was about 63 yards and they were high and lots of hang time. His TB % was 41%, 60%, 66%, and 74% through is career. And his Jr & Sr year, he had no OOB kicks. http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/player/255/1055249/index.html

While King has a 60 yard average, his kicks don't have hang time and he has a 7% TB. Maybe he'll get better and maybe he won't. He should if the injury is affecting him, but he isn't close to Butker as a Fr. http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/255/1086957/index.html

In my opinion, the single most significant player we lost last year was Butker. The second player loss wasn't even close. ST are often the difference in games ...... I could write a lot, but with Butker we would be 7-1.

I stand corrected. I would kick myself for being SO wrong, but that would seem overly ironic.

Jmonty71

Banned
Normally GT has one good upset in them. I honestly kind of hope they use their upset against Ugag. A loss to VT, but a win against Puke and Ugag would make the season. It would get us into a small bowl, but a bowl nonetheless. This year has been full of frustration. We had so many calls, luck plays and weather go against us. It would sure be nice to see a game align for us. It being against Ugag would only be fitting. Just my 2 pennies.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the difference between King and Butker is mainly a matter of strength; i.e. something that will cure itself. King is smaller then Butker was and he's had three games kicking in the wet. (If you noticed, neither teams kickers tore up the pea patch in those games, though the opposition got the ball deeper.) I see him becoming a Luke Manget in the long run; they're about the same size and King has proven very accurate from 45 in, just like Manget was. Next year with another 10 or 15 pounds of growth on him, I think he'll do. Still, it's a shame that Shawn got hurt just when he was getting the hang of the job. He looked great in his last two games.

Of course, none of this helps right now. We need to get better on KO coverage. Right now. Put the starting LBs out there for starts.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the difference between King and Butker is mainly a matter of strength; i.e. something that will cure itself. King is smaller then Butker was and he's had three games kicking in the wet. (If you noticed, neither teams kickers tore up the pea patch in those games, though the opposition got the ball deeper.) I see him becoming a Luke Manget in the long run; they're about the same size and King has proven very accurate from 45 in, just like Manget was. Next year with another 10 or 15 pounds of growth on him, I think he'll do. Still, it's a shame that Shawn got hurt just when he was getting the hang of the job. He looked great in his last two games.

Of course, none of this helps right now. We need to get better on KO coverage. Right now. Put the starting LBs out there for starts.
King is accurate. Butler has had a cannon for a leg since high school. He routinely kicked it through the uprights (My parents still go to Westminster games) and was the most surefire star we ever graduated. It's a tough comparison, and it hurt against a crappy UT team.

But our KO, KOR and PR production are near bottom in the NCAA. Replacement level on those teams and we have at least another win.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't too sure where to put this and I didn't want to start a new thread for it, but did anyone hear about some Clarke County Community College (uga) fans talking trash to TaQuon Marshall on Twitter? A co-worker of mine told me but I wasn't able to find anything.