Where does College BB go from here

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
The good thing about 1 and done is teams picking end of first round early 2 nd round can still draft someone with huge upside although it make take 2-4 years to get to it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I agree with this 100%. Sexton, Young, Gafford, Fernando, Bamba, Porter, Bagley, Carter, Ayton, Jackson, Knox, Gilgeous-Alexander, Lonnie Walker, and Troy Brown just to name a few that I think would have been certain. I am sure I missed a few more.
That's my issue. You think half the NBA first round would be a bunch of 18 year old kids? I don't believe it. There may be a few that skip college and be happy to be taken in the 2nd round but without the guaranteed money, I don't think that many kids are going to forgo college. Especially when there's guaranteed money going to Alabama ;)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's my issue. You think half the NBA first round would be a bunch of 18 year old kids? I don't believe it. There may be a few that skip college and be happy to be taken in the 2nd round but without the guaranteed money, I don't think that many kids are going to forgo college. Especially when there's guaranteed money going to Alabama ;)

I guess my point is that compared to the 2 you reference, I think you can come up with at least 10 that the NBA would draft in the 1st round.

I also think the NBA is starting to value 2nd rounders & undrafted free agents differently as the G-League & other mechanisms develop.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Maybe this has been discussed before, but does anybody else finding it really really odd that Bryce Drew is starting to rack up top 10 recruits by the handful at Vanderbilt? I mean, he was 31-36 in years 1 and 2 and I think has 3 top ten recruits signed.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Maybe this has been discussed before, but does anybody else finding it really really odd that Bryce Drew is starting to rack up top 10 recruits by the handful at Vanderbilt? I mean, he was 31-36 in years 1 and 2 and I think has 3 top ten recruits signed.

Yes

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, don't expect the NCAA to start paying athletes.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ketball-players-would-eliminate-other-sports/

This is not unexpected imo. Since these are schools that have to report to the Federal government and abide by its rules, if you want the schools to pay any athletes, by Federal law they would likely have to pay all athletes. Any changes to how SA's are going to be paid would almost have to be outside of the schools themselves.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="ESPNjacket, post: 412914, member: 2775" Bud Peterson, who some claim doesn't know college sports exist, is somehow on this committee.:jawdrop:/QUOTE]

Some of us don't care for Peterson for other reasons.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting read with quotes from Durant, Redick, Livington, etc.

BLEACHER REPORT: 'THOSE KIDS AREN'T GETTING EDUCATED'
It was then that Rick Barnes, KD's coach at Texas, showed him the ropes. He taught Durant the minor things that became major.

"I didn't know what a pick-and-roll coverage was," Durant said. "I didn't really know how to work on my game individually and take it seriously. I learned all that stuff from Rick Barnes. It was key for me, because I was always just a kid enjoying [playing] ball. I didn't really think it would be just a job. That transition from being a high school player and working my way to be a pro, I learned a lot in that year. Some kids need that."
"Nowadays, these coaches are just like daycare owners," Durant said. "They're like, We're just going to get these guys for a year and we're not going to really coach them, because I know they're going to be out the next year. That's not how basketball's supposed to played. That's not how you're supposed to be coached. You can't teach the game like that."
"People talk about education," JJ Redick, the sharpshooter for the Philadelphia 76ers, said. "Those kids aren't getting educated."
"From an economic opportunity, I don't think we should prohibit 18-year-olds from coming out of high school and coming into the NBA," Redick said. "I look at college basketball. I look at the one-done-rule, it's all just forms of control. There is a little bit of a race element there. People complain about NBA players, saying they're not ready, but no one really gives a **** if somebody goes pro in golf or tennis."

He added: "People are making money out of this system, and the high school kids should be able to come to the NBA and make money."
Livingston has never been a fan of the age limit. "You're not in control of your destiny," he said. "You're not able to write the story that you want to write, because somebody makes you write it and it goes to **** and then it's like, Oh, that's hard for me to live with. It's hard. You're not taking your life into your own hands, and that's hard to do."

Now, he and Durant play together for Golden State. The former often thinks of the college experience that could have been. "March Madness...that's the most exciting time," he said. "That's the coolest part of the one-and-done. Win or go home, right? It's exciting. But after saying that, 10 out of 10, I would've made the same decision. Ten times out of 10."
Simmons was heralded out of Monteverde Academy, and upon reaching LSU in 2015 he staged his own protests against some of the NCAA's archaic rules. He famously didn't attend class—which later resulted in his missing a few minutes of a game—but was blunt about his aims. "I'm going to the NBA next season," Simmons said in One and Done, a documentary about his year of college that premiered in 2016. "Why bull**** if it's not going to help me?"

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not from a player, but a quote in that article that is along the lines of what I have been saying is from a researcher.

"I actually think that one-and-done is a waste of time in college," Harper said. "Because if you're not there ultimately to earn a degree and graduate, I don't know that it makes sense for one to be there at all, especially given how few graduate after six years. Why waste time having someone there in the first year or for a first year. Does that make sense?"

I don't think everyone would have to get a degree if they can leave for things that are better for them personally, but everyone in college should be interested in learning. The information on Simmons was interesting. If he had no desire to go to class, why attend college at all. He should have other options while schools and the NCAA should avoid taking advantage of such people for a sport.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't think everyone would have to get a degree if they can leave for things that are better for them personally, but everyone in college should be interested in learning. The information on Simmons was interesting. If he had no desire to go to class, why attend college at all. He should have other options while schools and the NCAA should avoid taking advantage of such people for a sport.

He did, and athletes do, have alternatives. They just don't like them.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He did, and athletes do, have alternatives. They just don't like them.
And I'm sure that his college coach actually believed that he wanted to attend college and did nothing to convince him that his best chance at a high draft spot was to play at LSU.

NCAA coaches actively recruit known one-and-done players with the understanding that they will gain nothing from college. They recruit them solely on athletics and ignore desire for or aptitude for learning in a college environment. Those kids are used purely for entertainment and receive absolutely nothing of value from their scholarship. It is endentured servitude when athletics is used that way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And I'm sure that his college coach actually believed that he wanted to attend college and did nothing to convince him that his best chance at a high draft spot was to play at LSU.

NCAA coaches actively recruit known one-and-done players with the understanding that they will gain nothing from college. They recruit them solely on athletics and ignore desire for or aptitude for learning in a college environment. Those kids are used purely for entertainment and receive absolutely nothing of value from their scholarship. It is endentured servitude when athletics is used that way.

They get exposure and if they chose not to value the education that is on the player. Sorry I don't feel sorry for people who don't understand the opportunity that is given to them.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
They get exposure and if they chose not to value the education that is on the player. Sorry I don't feel sorry for people who don't understand the opportunity that is given to them.
Many people get paid for such exposure. If that is all that it is about, then NCAA basketball players should definitely be paid whatever they can negotiate with schools bidding for their service.

If the college coach ignores the desire and aptitude of a player, and simply tries to convince him by any means to play for his school, that is on the coach.

If a player wants to attend college, it should be encouraged even if he leaves after one or two years to make large sums of money. The NCAA should definitely be against tricking or making high school students believe that they are forced to play in college if they want to make the NBA.