Where does College BB go from here

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let's say the NCAA is an employer of athletes.

Coming out of HS you currently have several choices, including but not limited to:
  • Work in the US while getting an education, but with restrictive earning potential (NCAA)
  • Work in the US for a low entry salary but with the ability to get any "market value" you deserve as a side hustle (G-League)
  • Work abroad in any number of countries and earn a 6 figure salary and get any "market value" you deserve as a side hustle (Euro, China, etc.)
  • Be an entrepreneur and start your own business with others (closest example is LaVar Ball's thing). Difficult to do in 1 year admittedly.
If money is your real priority and given those choices, why would you sign up for the first option? And then why would you choose that option and then scream "it's not fair" when you know the rules of engagement going in? And why is it on the NCAA, universities, or whomever to change their policies?

If the NCAA changes its rules, so be it. I don't have a strong opinion on that. But no one is forcing HS athletes to work for the NCAA.

My bonus every year with my current employer is discretionary. Frankly so is my salary when it comes down to it. My employer can choose to give me $0 if they want. But there is nothing obligating them to pay me more, and I knew that coming in. I can b**** if I want to, but who is responsible for my current situation?
I think the rub is the inequality built into the distribution of the proceeds. The current system favors the successful schools and they are also the schools that drive the revenue stream. Don't expect internally motivated changes. Unless the courts or the players force something, I think we are watching what it will continue to be.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think the rub is the inequality built into the distribution of the proceeds. The current system favors the successful schools and they are also the schools that drive the revenue stream. Don't expect internally motivated changes. Unless the courts or the players force something, I think we are watching what it will continue to be.
Maybe I don't understand, seriously.

If we can ignore the Duke jokes for a second... Marvin Bagley could have made $1M+ this year if he wanted to thru professional contracts and endorsements. He chose to go to college instead.

Am I oversimplifying?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If we can ignore the Duke jokes for a second... Marvin Bagley could have made $1M+ this year
Who says he didn’t?
... let's say he did thru "creative" means. He still chose to work for the NCAA. He has every right to b**** about his "no-pay employer", but it's on him.

He probably could have earned more than the $1.4M offered to Kevin Knox to play in China. That was just salary and prior to any bonus or endorsements.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe I don't understand, seriously.

If we can ignore the Duke jokes for a second... Marvin Bagley could have made $1M+ this year if he wanted to thru professional contracts and endorsements. He chose to go to college instead.

Am I oversimplifying?
I agree that Bagley could have made $1M+ playing professionally. But he chose #1 on your list. I just do not understand where he has any grounds for complaint. I also have not heard him state an issue with the current system.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that Bagley could have made $1M+ playing professionally. But he chose #1 on your list. I just do not understand where he has any grounds for complaint. I also have not heard him state an issue with the current system.
Just using him as an example.

If someone feels they deserve more $, there are ways of pursuing it, is my point. Players already have a choice: NCAA route vs. Euro vs. China or elsewhere. Going the NCAA route is not an obligation but a choice, which has a pretty clear trade-off/limitation.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just using him as an example.

If someone feels they deserve more $, there are ways of pursuing it, is my point. Players already have a choice: NCAA route vs. Euro vs. China or elsewhere. Going the NCAA route is not an obligation but a choice, which has a pretty clear trade-off/limitation.
I agree.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ESPN: Big East recommends replacing one-and-done with two-or-none
Two-or-none would be an NCAA policy requiring basketball players who decide to go to college to commit for at least two seasons. Meanwhile, high school players who declare for the NBA draft would forfeit future college eligibility.
Similar to the Pac-12, the Big East recommended the NCAA and USA Basketball take a larger role in what it calls nonscholastic basketball -- the summer camps and AAU teams and leagues that have no affiliation with high schools but often involve shoe and apparel companies.

The Big East called for the NCAA to change rules to allow basketball players similar access to agents and advisers that are permitted for hockey and baseball players.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

From the Article:
"The Big East's plan calls for the elimination of the NBA's one-and-done rule, which prohibits its teams from drafting players until they are at least 19 or a year removed from high school.
Two-or-none would be an NCAA policy requiring basketball players who decide to go to college to commit for at least two seasons. Meanwhile, high school players who declare for the NBA draft would forfeit future college eligibility"

The Big East and the NCAA can ask the NBA to change the one-and-done rule, but they have absolutely no authority over the NBA to force them to.

If the NCAA required a basketball player to commit to two seasons, how could that be enforced? If the player decides to leave anyway to play for the NBA or a China team, I don't see any way that a contract with the NCAA could prevent him from doing that. The NCAA could possibly sue him, but that would be a huge problem since the players are not employees. It would be an even bigger public relations problem if they sue, say a poor kid who signs a $1million contract to pay for his mothers unexpected medical bills. What would the NCAA do if a player decided college wasn't for him after a year, or if his father passed away and he had to quit college to take over the family business?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA cannot restrict the kid from going to the NBA on either a PR or legal basis. Indentured servitude. Legally it has to be negotiated rules of entry between the NBA and players union.

They do have the ability to put eligibility rules in place for the NCAA so they could restrict the ability to still play NCAA BB after any declaration for the draft.

End of the day I expect the NCAA is going to have to deal with players having the ability to go to the NBA after HS or any year in college. They are talking about doing away with penalties for transfer within the NCAA institutions so it is pretty consistent with that anyway.

crut

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA cannot restrict the kid from going to the NBA on either a PR or legal basis. Indentured servitude. Legally it has to be negotiated rules of entry between the NBA and players union.

They do have the ability to put eligibility rules in place for the NCAA so they could restrict the ability to still play NCAA BB after any declaration for the draft.

End of the day I expect the NCAA is going to have to deal with players having the ability to go to the NBA after HS or any year in college. They are talking about doing away with penalties for transfer within the NCAA institutions so it is pretty consistent with that anyway.

Why would the NCAA agree to that? It hurts the NCAA and doesn't help them at all.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Why would the NCAA agree to that? It hurts the NCAA and doesn't help them at all.
Agree with what? The NCAA cannot legally prevent any student athletes from leaving college at any time for any reason. They have no leverage over the NBA. I don't understand what you think the NCAA should do it what they would be "agreeing" to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

crut

Helluva Engineer
Agree with what? The NCAA cannot legally prevent any student athletes from leaving college at any time for any reason. They have no leverage over the NBA. I don't understand what you think the NCAA should do it what they would be "agreeing" to.

They have an agreement currently because the NCAA has pull. That's why Adam Silver is meeting with the NCAA about the one and done rule. College basketball isn't dependent on the NBA, but the NBA is dependent on the NCAA. So sure, it's the NBA's rule, but to act like the NCAA doesn't have a say here isn't true.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
They have an agreement currently because the NCAA has pull. That's why Adam Silver is meeting with the NCAA about the one and done rule. College basketball isn't dependent on the NBA, but the NBA is dependent on the NCAA. So sure, it's the NBA's rule, but to act like the NCAA doesn't have a say here isn't true.

What pull? It’s an NBA rule that effects the NCAA. I’d imagine (speculation) the reason the league is meeting with the NCAA is pure courtesy

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The rule is part of the CBA. The league will need the union to also agree to make any changes that allow HS grads to enter the draft before their 19th birthday or one year out of high school.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
What pull? It’s an NBA rule that effects the NCAA. I’d imagine (speculation) the reason the league is meeting with the NCAA is pure courtesy

Actually the league is trying to use the NCAA as an extra data point to change the CBA. The problem is that the agents like roster turnover and the players listen to the agents and bargain for their preferences. The NBA likes the one and done rule and would probably prefer it to be two years. The agents don't like either.

The players association is willing to give on it if they get other things they want. The owners want the players to just agree to it without giving anything in return. That seems to be changing.

I got all of this from someone who knows things from the last talks.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Bagley actually should still be in high school. Somehow he managed to get ncaa clearance and it was last minute thing. So he used duke as his senior year in HS and now will go to the NBA a year earlier. His situation is an outlier. Most of the top 50 players would go straight to NBA if they could. They could care less about a degree.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

No, the NCAA cannot force the NBA or the players to do anything. However, the NCAA could institute a rule that all scholarships given to freshmen are 2-year scholarships. If a kid skips out after his freshman year, the school loses that scholly for the second year. That would give the schools pause when offering an obvious 1-and-done. Not all schools would care, but most would. That's something well within the control of the NCAA.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No, the NCAA cannot force the NBA or the players to do anything. However, the NCAA could institute a rule that all scholarships given to freshmen are 2-year scholarships. If a kid skips out after his freshman year, the school loses that scholly for the second year. That would give the schools pause when offering an obvious 1-and-done. Not all schools would care, but most would. That's something well within the control of the NCAA.

That would also give coaches a big incentive to not release freshmen to transfer because it would still result in a lost scholarship year regardless.