When will GT break into the top 25?

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is an old but good article about the AP poll. Sorry it's from an SEC site but it gave best explanation.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/who-gets-to-vote-in-associated-press-poll/

Cliff notes: the voters are just randomly selected sports writers and broadcasters. You can see in the list posted earlier one of them is Rece Davis. Basically 1 voter per 2 FBS teams in each state. They are given no guidelines, requirements, or instructions on how to vote.

My take away is that the AP is just as biased and clueless and meaningless as I originally thought it was.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here is an old but good article about the AP poll. Sorry it's from an SEC site but it gave best explanation.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/who-gets-to-vote-in-associated-press-poll/

Cliff notes: the voters are just randomly selected sports writers and broadcasters. You can see in the list posted earlier one of them is Rece Davis. Basically 1 voter per 2 FBS teams in each state. They are given no guidelines, requirements, or instructions on how to vote.

My take away is that the AP is just as biased and clueless and meaningless as I originally thought it was.
Yeah the Polls have always been biased here are some good examples

1960 AP Poll 4-4-1 Purdue tied for #19 with 7-2 Syracuse

1962 College Football Coaches Poll 2-7 Illinois tied at #18 with 7-3 Miami and 7-2 Arizona State

1964 College Football Coaches Poll 4-5 Michigan State tied for #20 with 5-4-1 Ole Miss

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I wonder what the "random" process is and if it's really random. Does Ken have a vote?

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder what the "random" process is and if it's really random. Does Ken have a vote?
The staff at the AP poll just picks people. They said they try to rotate through folks and give different people a chance. Which means some people might be selected and then it down.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It's still just as biased (and generally close to coaches/AP), but I prefer the Reddit cfb poll:

I think it has a couple hundred people. Some vote themselves, others use computer models they've developed. At the end it gets pretty varied. Reading the comments is pretty neat because people will post their results and why they come up with it. Some of the computer models can be very interesting.

Looking at that poll, UCF is still ranked and we are not. We are closing in though and a win next week will definitely do it.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
It's still just as biased (and generally close to coaches/AP), but I prefer the Reddit cfb poll:

I think it has a couple hundred people. Some vote themselves, others use computer models they've developed. At the end it gets pretty varied. Reading the comments is pretty neat because people will post their results and why they come up with it. Some of the computer models can be very interesting.

Looking at that poll, UCF is still ranked and we are not. We are closing in though and a win next week will definitely do it.

UCF gets a lot of help from the /r/cfb computer polls if you look at some of the comments. They basically break them because of their fewer games they are like top 5 in a couple of computers

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
UCF gets a lot of help from the /r/cfb computer polls if you look at some of the comments. They basically break them because of their fewer games they are like top 5 in a couple of computers
I'm okay with this since most computer polls improve as the year goes, while humans suffer from poll inertia.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think it should be illegal for any ESPN employee to have a vote, as to who is in the top 25. Reason why? You cannot get an unbiased vote. Simply put, the SEC and ESPN have money tied together. Therefore; you are going to protect that investment. It's like me, deciding my own raise and giving myself my own annual review.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I'm okay with this since most computer polls improve as the year goes, while humans suffer from poll inertia.
Yeah I'm ok with it too. Was just letting people know if they scrolled real quick and saw some of the crazy ones where they are ranked top 5 in the computers. The good thing is most of the computer pollsters are very transparent about how their formula works and are usually pretty receptive to questions about their methodology

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I'm ok with it too. Was just letting people know if they scrolled real quick and saw some of the crazy ones where they are ranked top 5 in the computers. The good thing is most of the computer pollsters are very transparent about how their formula works and are usually pretty receptive to questions about their methodology
The fact that you can directly talk to the pollsters makes it better to me than any other format.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it should be illegal for any ESPN employee to have a vote, as to who is in the top 25. Reason why? You cannot get an unbiased vote. Simply put, the SEC and ESPN have money tied together. Therefore; you are going to protect that investment. It's like me, deciding my own raise and giving myself my own annual review.

If you own your own business, this isnt a problem at all!