When will GT break into the top 25?

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Not even close to getting in top 25 right now. Have to beat UNC and Miami to crack top 25
If the offense continues to roll like they've been doing and break records and the Heels are put away really decisively, then possibly after that. If they win against Miami, then for sure. Tech has already received some votes after the Pitt win.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT does not need to be in the top 25 until GT beats Miami (and UNC). If we don't beat Miami, we will not be ranked as a 2 loss team.

Now for money reasons, having GT ranked for the 8:00 Miami game and the night Clemson game makes since... Just depends on how many top 25 teams lose this weekend.

Last edited:

Jmonty71

Banned
Dam right deeeznutz. Arguably none of those one-loss teams in the 20s deserve to be there! I can't believe after 4 weeks we're still seeing this BS.
#21 Florida can't score and barely escaped both UT and UK.
#22 Notre Dame's claim to fame is losing to Georgia.
#23 West Virginia has beat up on bad teams.
#25 LSU's "biggest win" was a nail-biter over Syracuse after getting disintegrated by Mississippi State. The rest of their wins are garbage.
And then #24 Miss State just got smacked down in Athens but hold their bogus ranking falsely-earned from beating an over-rated LSU [emoji35]

Not saying GT oughta be ranked - not really close. But teams with results on the field already like Duke (4-0), NC State (3-1 & upset FSU), Memphis (3-0), Minnesota (3-0 allowing 8.0ppg), and Wake Forest (4-0) have earned consideration that they're just not getting. Voters seem to look at pre-ranked teams and give them every benefit of the doubt, while teams on the outside looking in have to pull off some major upset to crack the top 25.

Why does it matter? Well for example Friday night's tilt rightfully should be a matchup of two ranked ACC teams with some national interest, where the both winner and loser come away with respect. Instead Miami is "expected" to win, nobody tunes in, and the loser gets lumped in with everybody else not even receiving votes.
As I said, the media and ESPN control a lot of the rankings. They are financially invested in the SEC, so they are going to give them attention. Whether it's deserved or not. It's called protecting your investment. Which is why I laugh when an ACC team wins the NC. Its like rubbing a pile of crap in their faces.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Did you watch the Turtles v. UCF? I did and I'm thinking we might be 2 - 2 now if we had played that game. Those people have excellent talent and beat the Terps without even breathing hard.

Let's just win our next two games. The Tarholes are hopeless on D and not that classy on O either. I watched some of da U and Toledo and I am so not impressed. Those people are nowhere near their ranking. The big surprise: their D is pretty porous. Control Walton (I didn't say stop him; no one will do that) and I think we win, even down there.

But … one game at a time.

I noticed that and thought the same thing. Makes me wonder now how that game really would have gone. 4 TO's and we would have lost, for sure.

MountPGT1990

Banned
If the offense continues to roll like they've been doing and break records and the Heels are put away really decisively, then possibly after that. If they win against Miami, then for sure. Tech has already received some votes after the Pitt win.

Even if we win 50-0 against UNC, we will not crack the top 25 next week. We don't jump 15+ teams in the polls for beating a badly injured and beaten up 1-4 UNC team. I will bet my bottom $ we don't sniff top 25 unless we win next two and that still may not be enough if Miami loses to FSU the week before.

MountPGT1990

Banned
I think if GT is 6-1 going into the Clemson game they'll be rated in the #20-#25 range at least. If Tennessee beats UGAG on Saturday that will help GT however it will mean that Tennessee will be back in the Top 25.

The best GT can be is 5-1 heading into Clemson game. If we are 5-1 we will be ranked in the #15-#20 range for Clemson game. All of this is a moot point if we lose any of the next three games....seems we are putting the cart before the horse with this discussion. Just keep winning and it will all take care of itself.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Even if we win 50-0 against UNC, we will not crack the top 25 next week. We don't jump 15+ teams in the polls for beating a badly injured and beaten up 1-4 UNC team. I will bet my bottom $ we don't sniff top 25 unless we win next two and that still may not be enough if Miami loses to FSU the week before.
I hate the idea that you have to "jump" teams early in the season. They really need to take a fresh look at it every week, at least for the first month of the season, as the initial rankings were literally just a guess. Poll inertia is just dumb.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
All of you guys wanting us to be ranked have severe memory loss.

For the entirety of my GT fandom (spanning 30 years) we have never, ever, EVER been able to withstand prosperity. Ranking us is like a death sentence. For whatever reason, we have never had a coach who could keep the team from reading their press clippings.

We don't just play better when we are disrespected and have a chip on our shoulder, we ONLY really play well then. Someone definitely please list a time when we were ranked, favored to beat another ranked team, and actually did so.

It would suit me just fine for us to win and win and win and not be ranked all year long. We don't need it. And we DEFINITELY don't need ESPN paying any extra attention to us. No little practice specials or triple option breakdowns. Just keep all of that distracting mess away from our coaching staff and our guys.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
The best GT can be is 5-1 heading into Clemson game. If we are 5-1 we will be ranked in the #15-#20 range for Clemson game. All of this is a moot point if we lose any of the next three games....seems we are putting the cart before the horse with this discussion. Just keep winning and it will all take care of itself.

What he said