When will GT break into the top 25?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
AP poll voters who are "showing love": http://collegepolltracker.com/football/team/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets/2017

upload_2017-10-1_14-27-36.png

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
If Miami, tcu, stanford, and Washington state win this weekend we could come out top 25. Those teams are all favored, or close to it. I just want Miami to run the score up on fsu. That's the only game I care about this weekend.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Right now our dl has a pretty good rotation keeping guys fresh. When our backups in secondary lb show they can give quality minutes the defense will stay in top 25.

I am worried offense relies on smallish qb running up middle. The teams we now face will be more physical. In my opinion we are top 25 on offense (assumes lee and Marshall return). Like the defense we need more quality minutes from back up qb --n j can run up middle but slow to sideline is not effective against our up coming opponents. If Both qb could show a good passing game, the offense will be in top 20.
That leaves or special teams which is a random number generator. Against upcoming g this a will likely pull us way down . I saw some good so far. Let's hope it becomss dominant!
After we beat Miami we go into top 25.
Then after e.g. we go into top 20. After loose badly to clemson, top 40 . Beat vt back top 25 even if se loose to uga.
See ya in Charlotte !

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I want FSU to win. I prefer other Coastal teams to get conference losses where they can get them.
I understand that logic. But, if we're going to win the division, then we probably have to beat Miami regardless (If we lose to Miami, put our odds at 20%, if we beat Miami, put our odds at 50%). So, if we take that as a given, then it's better for GT if Miami has a better record/perception. If winning the division was the only prize out there, then you're probably right, but given that there are other prizes (final ranking, CFP shot, national perception - recruiting, etc), then I think I'd prefer a more highly ranked Miami-opponent.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I understand that logic. But, if we're going to win the division, then we probably have to beat Miami regardless (If we lose to Miami, put our odds at 20%, if we beat Miami, put our odds at 50%). So, if we take that as a given, then it's better for GT if Miami has a better record/perception. If winning the division was the only prize out there, then you're probably right, but given that there are other prizes (final ranking, CFP shot, national perception - recruiting, etc), then I think I'd prefer a more highly ranked Miami-opponent.

If we want a CFP shot, then we'll probably have to beat CU twice, at least in the ACC championship game. I really don't think Miami's ranking will matter that much. I'm not sure it matters that much for those other things either, but whatever.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand that logic. But, if we're going to win the division, then we probably have to beat Miami regardless (If we lose to Miami, put our odds at 20%, if we beat Miami, put our odds at 50%)...

Not necessarily. You're assuming Miami is truly a tough top-15 team who will win almost all their games. While the Canes are still riding a nice pre-season ranking, they still haven't proven they're the team to beat in the Coastal yet. It's far more important that VT loses to Clemson (check) and Miami loses to FSU, to go along with our expected loss to Clemson. If Miami beats FSU then they'll have the inside track to take the Coastal.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I would much rather play an overconfident miami team than one coming off of a loss. Not to mention, that looks like a better W on our resume. If we are as good as I feel we are, we don't need help winning the conference if we beat Miami and VT h2h. I want them to look as good as possible.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not necessarily. You're assuming Miami is truly a tough top-15 team who will win almost all their games. While the Canes are still riding a nice pre-season ranking, they still haven't proven they're the team to beat in the Coastal yet. It's far more important that VT loses to Clemson (check) and Miami loses to FSU, to go along with our expected loss to Clemson. If Miami beats FSU then they'll have the inside track to take the Coastal.
As much as it pains me to say it, I want Miami to win this weekend. I don't really care where they end up, but them being undefeated and highly ranked before losing to us at home would really slingshot us up in the rankings (which I honestly think we'll end up ranked #22-25 this week after a couple low-end ranked teams lose opening a "best remaining" slot for us). For purely selfish reasons of liking to see more coverage of my team, I want us to be highly ranked so the talking heads can't just pretend we don't exist. That absolutely helps in recruiting (kids want to be talked about on ESPN), and gives us a legitimate shot at the playoff if we are able to win out (unlikely, but I don't see an unwinnable game on the schedule).