When will GT break into the top 25?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He's a real idiot Tennessee is a better team than California who the Tarholes have lost to:mad: I think GT beats UNC 42-28.
I agree, but my bias against the SEC keeps me from seeing the rationale for Tennessee being better than Cal after yesterday. How can anyone be better than Cal? They have Demetris Robertson at WR!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I hate the attitude of "we haven't earned a top 25 ranking", because really about half the ranked teams haven't earned anything either. What the hell has Miami done to be #14 (and climbing) so far? They only beat Bethune Cookman and Toledo, and let those teams hang around WAY too long. I could go through the list of ranked teams and show how many of them are unearned, but the fact is somebody is going to get those rankings. We have just as strong a claim as those teams, so why should we have to "earn" it when others get the benefit of the doubt? It's bull[emoji90]
But the good thing is it doesn't really matter, because it generally works itself out as the year goes along. It just frustrates me because the media only really has time to discuss a small portion of the teams out there, so they use the top 25 to determine who gets coverage. I think we'll probably get ranked with a solid beating of UNC, then make a statement by grinding Miami into dust. I just hope they're ranked high enough to boost our ranking when we beat them.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
99 votes away from being ranked in the coaches poll.

currently have 6 votes, and ranked 41st. 8 ACC teams plus Notre Dame all ahead of us

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
99 votes away from being ranked in the coaches poll.

currently have 6 votes, and ranked 41st. 8 ACC teams plus Notre Dame all ahead of us
Slight correction: We are tied for #39 with South Carolina and Navy. Tennessee is #38 with 7 votes, so I guess there is some inadvertent logic there.

Not even close to getting in top 25 right now. Have to beat UNC and Miami to crack top 25
from the Massey Composite Rankings, here is an idea of what they think of the relative strengths of the 14 ACC teams
2. Clemson
12. Va Tech
15. Miami
18. Louisville
22. Duke
30. Wake Forest
32. Georgia Tech
33. NCST
37. FSU
58. North Carolina
61. Virginia
70. Pittsburgh
78. Boston College
85. Syracuse

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
from the Massey Composite Rankings, here is an idea of what they think of the relative strengths of the 14 ACC teams
2. Clemson
12. Va Tech
15. Miami
18. Louisville
22. Duke
30. Wake Forest
32. Georgia Tech
33. NCST
37. FSU
58. North Carolina
61. Virginia
70. Pittsburgh
78. Boston College
85. Syracuse
Pitt seems a little high

I agree. Pitt had already lost twice, so beating them does nothing for us in the rankings. And UT not only lost to Florida but barely squeaked by UMass today. So we’re a long way from the top 25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if we beat UNC, I don't think we get ranked. Then a loss to Miami makes it likely we will not climb into the top25 all year.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I hate the attitude of "we haven't earned a top 25 ranking", because really about half the ranked teams haven't earned anything either. What the hell has Miami done to be #14 (and climbing) so far? They only beat Bethune Cookman and Toledo, and let those teams hang around WAY too long. I could go through the list of ranked teams and show how many of them are unearned, but the fact is somebody is going to get those rankings. We have just as strong a claim as those teams, so why should we have to "earn" it when others get the benefit of the doubt? It's bull[emoji90]
...It just frustrates me because the media only really has time to discuss a small portion of the teams out there, so they use the top 25 to determine who gets coverage...

Dam right deeeznutz. Arguably none of those one-loss teams in the 20s deserve to be there! I can't believe after 4 weeks we're still seeing this BS.
#21 Florida can't score and barely escaped both UT and UK.
#22 Notre Dame's claim to fame is losing to Georgia.
#23 West Virginia has beat up on bad teams.
#25 LSU's "biggest win" was a nail-biter over Syracuse after getting disintegrated by Mississippi State. The rest of their wins are garbage.
And then #24 Miss State just got smacked down in Athens but hold their bogus ranking falsely-earned from beating an over-rated LSU [emoji35]

Not saying GT oughta be ranked - not really close. But teams with results on the field already like Duke (4-0), NC State (3-1 & upset FSU), Memphis (3-0), Minnesota (3-0 allowing 8.0ppg), and Wake Forest (4-0) have earned consideration that they're just not getting. Voters seem to look at pre-ranked teams and give them every benefit of the doubt, while teams on the outside looking in have to pull off some major upset to crack the top 25.

Why does it matter? Well for example Friday night's tilt rightfully should be a matchup of two ranked ACC teams with some national interest, where the both winner and loser come away with respect. Instead Miami is "expected" to win, nobody tunes in, and the loser gets lumped in with everybody else not even receiving votes.