When Should Collins be Fired (Poll)

When should Collins be fired?

• Now before KSU game.

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • After KSU game if a loss.

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • End of this year ( year 3 2021) if we don't "look like we belong on the field".

Votes: 65 22.5%
  • End of year 4 (2022) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 82 28.4%
  • End of year 5 (2023) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 31 10.7%
  • End of year 6 (2024) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't renew contract after year 7 if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Never, performance doesn't matter.

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
An issue I have with the basketball comparison is that it is solely based on bad losses. I do not recall the basketball team looking to the bench for a defensive alignment while the opposing point guard is already driving past the 3 point line. I do not recall the offense looking to the sideline for an offensive play with three seconds left on the shot clock. There are issues with the football team that another poster compared to the previous basketball coach's teams not being able to inbound the ball from the baseline. Fundamental substitution and play calling should not ever be this big an issue for an NCAA team, much less for a P5 team. If the NIU coach is correct and all of those issues were because he was running a goal line offense at unexpected positions on the field, what in the world are our coaches going to do when Clemson, ND, and the mutts start mixing things up?
"...what in the world are our coaches going to do when Clemson, ND and the mutts start mixing things up." Oh, I don't know, count their money, wave money down signs, let the players argue amongst themselves, any number of things but nothing that will slow any of those teams down.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, that's probably our fault for running a high school offense for a decade.... </sarcasm>
I know Johnson was not personable or much on creating hype and buzz but if we had him now, we would not be in the fix we are in. To be sure, there would be other problems but I don't think losing to Northern Illinois would be an issue.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone - AD, coaches, players or fans -honestly proud of our program at the moment? I couldn’t get the TV broadcast, but didn’t even the announcers ridicule us? If Collins’ contract is with the athletic department, I think the athletic department should consider declaring bankruptcy (heaven knows that the program is bankrupt), then renegotiate or void Collins’ contract and start over. Just saying.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone - AD, coaches, players or fans -honestly proud of our program at the moment? I couldn’t get the TV broadcast, but didn’t even the announcers ridicule us? If Collins’ contract is with the athletic department, I think the athletic department should consider declaring bankruptcy (heaven knows that the program is bankrupt), then renegotiate or void Collins’ contract and start over. Just saying.
I'm waiting for TStan to declare his unwavering support for Geoff.

PaulGT72

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm assuming we beat KSU (yes, always dangerous I know) so voted for the end of this year if we don't look like we belong on the field.

Jmonty71

Banned
I am in the "hopeful" we beat KSU... If we do, it won't be by the score we'd expect. However; I would be happy with a W, at this point... I don't care if we play the school for the blind, to get a win... Although it feels like we have to play a really bad team to gain a win.... If we lose to KSU, I think any decent recruit will find somewhere else to go and I don't blame them. Facts are facts, we aren't a good team. Heck, we're not even a below average team. We're a very poorly coached team, with some decent talent. That's about the size of it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm waiting now for someone to declare their unwavering support for TStan :)
The AD's job is to raise money and run the athletic department. He has done a lot better job of raising money than the last several ADs. I do understand that football is the largest money maker and gets the most press, but outside of football GT's athletics are doing pretty well. My opinion is that he is the best athletic director that we have had since Rice.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Mods--why is this allowed? Just the title of two of the posts on this board hurt recruiting. Is this a Georgia Tech fanboard, or a Georgia fan board? There have been other situations in the past that have made me wonder, but this one does most of all.

TAKE THEM DOWN OR TO HELL WITH THIS UGA BOARD! Yes, I feel that strongly about it.
Yeah, right. Because of this board, we can't out recruit the Citadel or Northern Illinois.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I met a former player (graduated Sprint 2020 or therebouts). He played mostly special teams as I think he had a bad injury a couple of years earlier. Anyway, I forgot his name and didn't recognize it when he introduced himself. This was the evening after a game we lost at home, not sure if it was a blowout or just a bad loss, but the few GT fans around the sports bar were bummed.

He said Coach Collins changed his life (for the better). He also noted that Paul Johnson was never-ending berator and very negative in his motivation. I noted that we would at least win most of the games we should win under Johnson. I also noted that recruiting had improved under Collins, the play on the field is taking a step back.

It's kind of a tweener situation. Collins seems to be recruiting well, very positive, but the end results are worse.

I wasn't stoked on the Collins hire, but I wasn't down either. I didn't like the O-coordinator, but I thought the D-con would have us very aggressive and improving the D greatly. So far, both sides of the ball are subpar. Sims looks awful at QB, but he must practice well to win the job. Not sure whats up, but I guess getting to play against our own subpar D in practice makes him look like an All-American.

I hope this game is a springboard to massive improvement, but the initial hope is fading quickly that this is just another so-so coach that will have one or two bad losses each year and if they make a bowl, will get man-handled by some 7-5 Big 10 or Big East team. Sigh. I shudder to think what UGA will do to us this year. I went to the last CPJ game, when UGA had a REAL coach (finally) with Smart after years of Collins-like Mark Richt underperformance. UGA blew us out, we couldn't get a first down, couldn't stop them. IT was embarassing (surrounded by UGA fans in Stanford Stadium or whatever it is). It was bitterly cold and made only worse by the beat down.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know how his contract is written regarding his control of his staff?

I don't think we can easily fire CGC in the next couple of years based on the guarantees referenced in the OP.

Can the AD replace the OC and DC?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Mods moved one of my posts and I cannot access the thread now. They said I called CCG a conman which is a violation of the rules. For the record I did not call him a conman, nor a clown nor a used car salesman, though half a dozen other posters have. I understand why they thought I called him that because I used conman in a sentence. But the gist of what I said was that I don’t know what to make of him. And that remains my problem, the disconnect between who he tells us he is, what he tells us about the program and what happens on the field. Sorry I used the word conman in a sentence but a careful reading would show I did not call him that and I would never call him that without proof. To sum up what I said before in other posts, I don’t know who he is and wish someone could tell me.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Mods moved one of my posts and I cannot access the thread now. They said I called CCG a conman which is a violation of the rules. For the record I did not call him a conman, nor a clown nor a used car salesman, though half a dozen other posters have. I understand why they thought I called him that because I used conman in a sentence. But the gist of what I said was that I don’t know what to make of him. And that remains my problem, the disconnect between who he tells us he is, what he tells us about the program and what happens on the field. Sorry I used the word conman in a sentence but a careful reading would show I did not call him that and I would never call him that without proof. To sum up what I said before in other posts, I don’t know who he is and wish someone could tell me.
I will tell you. Geoff is a climber.

When I worked in corporate, we had LOTS of employees who worked 24 months in role before moving on. That meant, they were in a perpetual state of interviewing for their next role. They never really had to accomplish much because once they made their big annual pitch, it was always left to another guy to implement. The whole game was look good, talk good, dress well and get the next gig.

I struggle to identify Geoff's successes. He has moved around so much that he doesn't have many positives, but doesn't have many negatives either. He's unproven because he never stuck around long enough anywhere to develop a track record.

That's the gamble we took. My gut tells me TStan wanted Ken Whisenhut, but they just couldn't work it out. I'm not sure who else, if anyone, wanted the job. So we have an unproven coach leading the greatest transformation in the history of sports.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
End of year 5, because it will be easier and more affordable to buy out his contract with two years remaining.

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m sorry that happened to your post. If the sentence you used was something like “I wonder whether Collins is a conman”, then that does not involve an assertion that Collins is a conman, only an assertion that you would like to know whether he is one. Big difference.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m sorry that happened to your post. If the sentence you used was something like “I wonder whether Collins is a conman”, then that does not involve an assertion that Collins is a conman, only an assertion that you would like to know whether he is one. Big difference.
It’s fine. I understand why they responded the way they did. I should have worded more carefully.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see the AD talk to Collins at the end of this season (If we fail to make a bowl) about renegotiating his Contract money enough to allow GT to hire quality, proven Def and Off Coordinators