When Should Collins be Fired (Poll)

When should Collins be fired?

• Now before KSU game.

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • After KSU game if a loss.

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • End of this year ( year 3 2021) if we don't "look like we belong on the field".

Votes: 65 22.5%
  • End of year 4 (2022) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 82 28.4%
  • End of year 5 (2023) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 31 10.7%
  • End of year 6 (2024) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't renew contract after year 7 if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Never, performance doesn't matter.

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When should Collins be fired if performance doesn't get a lot better in your opinion?

I think at least to the end of next year (year 4) and probably to end of year 5 so I voted for year 5. I'm resigned to us not being relevant this year based on the depth of the problems I saw Saturday night against a marginal opponent. Only Duke may be close to NIU. Sorry guys/ gals, Collins can't game day coach very well. And the team was unprepared for the game. But the buyout is too big along with the salary for a "proven" coach assuming we could get one. There are no good options here (tic) except hope that things turn around and Collins gets some gameday help IMHO. I think he is too old / experienced to suddenly have the gameday presence to manage a game.

I put in some qualifiers on the poll questions. The Stansbury metric of "looking like we belong on the field" was not met Saturday IMHO. And at some point the low bar of making a bowl becomes relevant to me.

@yellowjacketabe posted this which I'm assuming is right: https://gtswarm.com/threads/fire-geoff-collins.23705/post-820104
"Doing some digging into CGC’s contract will lead you to these facts…

+ 7 year deal worth 23.1 million
+ He is in year 3 currently, making 3.2 million
+ If he is fired within the first four years, he will get all 23.1 million.
+ If he is fired after year 4, he will get 2.4 per year for the years remaining on the 7 year contract.

In conclusion, if we fire him this year, we would fork out 13.8 million. If he is fired at the end of next season (at the end of 4 years) his buyout would be 7.2 million. He isn’t going to get fired this year; that’s a lot of money that I don’t think will be put up or raised. Financially, it’s smarter to wait until the end of next season to can him. That means we may have to deal with this for 23 more games…."

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
When should Collins be fired if performance doesn't get a lot better in your opinion?

I think at least to the end of next year (year 4) and probably to end of year 5 so I voted for year 5. I'm resigned to us not being relevant this year based on the depth of the problems I saw Saturday night against a marginal opponent. Only Duke may be close to NIU. Sorry guys/ gals, Collins can't game day coach very well. And the team was unprepared for the game. But the buyout is too big along with the salary for a "proven" coach assuming we could get one. There are no good options here (tic) except hope that things turn around and Collins gets some gameday help IMHO. I think he is too old / experienced to suddenly have the gameday presence to manage a game.

I put in some qualifiers on the poll questions. The Stansbury metric of "looking like we belong on the field" was not met Saturday IMHO. And at some point the low bar of making a bowl becomes relevant to me.

@yellowjacketabe posted this which I'm assuming is right: https://gtswarm.com/threads/fire-geoff-collins.23705/post-820104
"Doing some digging into CGC’s contract will lead you to these facts…

+ 7 year deal worth 23.1 million
+ He is in year 3 currently, making 3.2 million
+ If he is fired within the first four years, he will get all 23.1 million.
+ If he is fired after year 4, he will get 2.4 per year for the years remaining on the 7 year contract.

In conclusion, if we fire him this year, we would fork out 13.8 million. If he is fired at the end of next season (at the end of 4 years) his buyout would be 7.2 million. He isn’t going to get fired this year; that’s a lot of money that I don’t think will be put up or raised. Financially, it’s smarter to wait until the end of next season to can him. That means we may have to deal with this for 23 more games…."
I voted end of the year, but tempted with after a loss to KSU. A firing after a loss to KSU doesn't really change the outcome for the remainder of the season. If we do lose to KSU , I expect TStan to be actively looking for a replacement however.

With that said, I think we can borrow 7 or so million from the new edge center fund. That way we don't dig an even bigger hole by waiting for end of year 4. Again, if we do lose to KSU, that gives TStan the length of the season to find new candidates (and do the actual firing at the end). This hopefully also keeps some of the recruits as well.

Edit: this also allows for a season saving turnaround, however unlikely it seems at the moment.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Geoff, as the CEO of Georgia Tech football, is not going anywhere. Which is probably accurate, because Georgia Tech football is not going anywhere either.

How ironic that a guy WHO PLAYED HERE (TStan) has so thoroughly destroyed the program HERE, but yeah ....... he is going to have a nice new office in the New Edge. I'm glad he has his priorities right.

I've never been so disgusted with the state of GT Athletics since Doug Weaver was AD. TStan has been a disaster.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm inclined to believe that if Geoff flips the offense and recruiting, we will be able to hire a real coach. And Geoff can retire to Pawley's Island and play on the sand dunes for all I care. He's barely qualified to work at Waffle House, much less eat there.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I voted end of the year, but tempted with after a loss to KSU. A firing after a loss to KSU doesn't really change the outcome for the remainder of the season. If we do lose to KSU , I expect TStan to be actively looking for a replacement however.

With that said, I think we can borrow 7 or so million from the new edge center fund. That way we don't dig an even bigger hole by waiting for end of year 4. Again, if we do lose to KSU, that gives TStan the length of the season to find new candidates (and do the actual firing at the end). This hopefully also keeps some of the recruits as well.

Edit: this also allows for a season saving turnaround, however unlikely it seems at the moment.
My thoughts exactly.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
If we lose to KSU on Saturday the ad will have no choice but to fire him because that loss would be a death penalty for the program and probably the ad will be fired also. Just think about it KSU have only been playing football since 2015 and they have never played a power 5 team so heads will role if that happens because that be the worst defeat in probably college football history. We would be the laughing stock of college football and I bet they will be a lot of people losing their jobs if that would happen.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
End of 4 if no bowl. But I need to see some better game day decisions. When you get mocked in the newspaper for stupid decisions during the game, it‘s worse than just a loss. It makes recruiting all the more harder.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Other revenue sport and also was considered a total rebuild. Not a perfect comparison but a decent guidepost, no?
Do you think the level of competition in acc basketball is equal to acc football?
Over Pastner's first 5 years, how competitive were the games compared to the football games starting in 2019?

As you said, Pastner also won ACC COY his first year here and did pretty well, built up good grace. I'm not sure I can say CGC had built up the same level of good grace, would you?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Do you think the level of competition in acc basketball is equal to acc football?
Over Pastner's first 5 years, how competitive were the games compared to the football games starting in 2019?

As you said, Pastner also won ACC COY his first year here and did pretty well, built up good grace. I'm not sure I can say CGC had built up the same level of good grace, would you?

Which is why I said 4 years instead of 5. Don't forget the terrible mid major losses too. I don't wanna go too far down that road in the football forum, but it shows we are pretty patient, probably because our finances dictate it.

Scubapro

Banned
I voted for after 2022....There is still the smallest amount of hope if he replaces Uncle Dave. I am not sure that Geoff's coaching circle has any innovative OCs willing to pay us a visit.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Mods--why is this allowed? Just the title of two of the posts on this board hurt recruiting. Is this a Georgia Tech fanboard, or a Georgia fan board? There have been other situations in the past that have made me wonder, but this one does most of all.

TAKE THEM DOWN OR TO HELL WITH THIS UGA BOARD! Yes, I feel that strongly about it.