When Should Collins be Fired (Poll)

When should Collins be fired?

• Now before KSU game.

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • After KSU game if a loss.

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • End of this year ( year 3 2021) if we don't "look like we belong on the field".

Votes: 65 22.5%
  • End of year 4 (2022) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 82 28.4%
  • End of year 5 (2023) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 31 10.7%
  • End of year 6 (2024) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't renew contract after year 7 if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Never, performance doesn't matter.

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just stop.

No. This was intended to hopefully show some patience on the part of GT fans. Just because there is a lot of posting, this will show more the breadth and depth of feeling. The last choice of "Never" is to sort out the trolls.

No way we lose to KSU (<10%) which is what I said before NIU. We got a lot of bad breaks but still should have won easily; at least if we are to be relevant in the ACC.

I hope Collins turns things around but his salesmanship has to have some substance at some point. We have to give him more time; but losing a gimme game was not the way to do that. It did make my weekend planning simpler this fall. I used to live and die by football games; no longer. If you remember, I'd break down every special teams play when we were ST competent. Now I'm not going through the sewage.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Mods--why is this allowed? Just the title of two of the posts on this board hurt recruiting. Is this a Georgia Tech fanboard, or a Georgia fan board? There have been other situations in the past that have made me wonder, but this one does most of all.

TAKE THEM DOWN OR TO HELL WITH THIS UGA BOARD! Yes, I feel that strongly about it.

I think this place has to be a place where GT sports can be discussed. Good, bad, and ugly. The mood right now is tense and upset. But sweeping it under the rug does not fix anything. At some point, the staff and team have to do their part if they do not want criticism. Just my take.

Deleted member 4558

We should'nt fire Collins at all. The direction this country is heading demographically, football will be phased out and soccer will replace it. If Georgia Tech starts now they can get a head start by shifting resources to the new reality. I think Collins would fit right in with a "softer" sport.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No. This was intended to hopefully show some patience on the part of GT fans. Just because there is a lot of posting, this will show more the breadth and depth of feeling. The last choice of "Never" is to sort out the trolls.

No way we lose to KSU (<10%) which is what I said before NIU. We got a lot of bad breaks but still should have won easily; at least if we are to be relevant in the ACC.

I hope Collins turns things around but his salesmanship has to have some substance at some point. We have to give him more time; but losing a gimme game was not the way to do that. It did make my weekend planning simpler this fall. I used to live and die by football games; no longer. If you remember, I'd break down every special teams play when we were ST competent. Now I'm not going through the sewage.
I feel your pain. But I’ve worked with executives worldwide for 40 years. Some have it. Some don’t. Geoff ... is in the dont column. I wish it were different ur he sucks as a leader. He should probably run for political office.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Do we really need another thread on this. As disappointed as I was with the first game, it's just game one. We have an entire season ahead.
He won't be fired this year due to the buyout and it won't likely happen this early in the season.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I think this place has to be a place where GT sports can be discussed. Good, bad, and ugly. The mood right now is tense and upset. But sweeping it under the rug does not fix anything. At some point, the staff and team have to do their part if they do not want criticism. Just my take.
You are speaking out of both sides of your collective mouths. On one hand a notice is placed about not calling for firing. On the other, the caption for two threads is effectively FIRE GEOFF COLLINS. It's one thing to have a discussion about the coach--he is paid a lot of money, is an adult and can take the heat. But captions for posts that present this program in a negative light to recruits--and damage the program-- are something else entirely.

I will also say that when I criticized Paul Johnson I was given a warning. Yet this crap is allowed to go on?

Wonder why this program struggles? GTSwarm is Exhibit A.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you feel stro
Mods--why is this allowed? Just the title of two of the posts on this board hurt recruiting. Is this a Georgia Tech fanboard, or a Georgia fan board? There have been other situations in the past that have made me wonder, but this one does most of all.

TAKE THEM DOWN OR TO HELL WITH THIS UGA BOARD! Yes, I feel that strongly about it.
Do you feel strongly about losing to NIU? We must face facts and recognize there is a big issue brewing that requires action not obfuscation and turtle shelling…others outside the program see the faults and will capitalize on it if we ignore it…

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Do you feel stro

Do you feel strongly about losing to NIU? We must face facts and recognize there is a big issue brewing that requires action not obfuscation and turtle shelling…others outside the program see the faults and will capitalize on it if we ignore it…
I don't know why this is so hard to understand. This is the worst GTAA leadership AND the worst coaching since 1980. For the folks in Rio Linda, that's 31 years. Yes, it really is that bad. I really don't care if it's bad for this year's recruiting. The numnuts in charge are destroying GT athletics. It's about time someone said something. My only regret is that Kim King is dead as I'm sure he would lead the charge. There is really no one else these days to do so.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I originally was going to vote for x amount of wins. But we’ve had x amount of wins and no real substantial statement games.

In my mind, that means wins against big time rivals (Clem, uga or someone else of worth) and it feels like we haven’t had one in a while. That’s what my pallet wants. For now anyways.
But honestly I’ll take any win we can get at this point.

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan

Oh give me a break. It’s a message board after a bad loss, which makes at least three for this staff in as many seasons. What else do you expect?

Where was your outrage when these same threads were popping up between 2008 and 2018?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

Go read the game day forum on “from the rumble seat”. This is mild here. That will curl your toes. And that’s for everyone to read.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't know why this is so hard to understand. This is the worst GTAA leadership AND the worst coaching since 1980. For the folks in Rio Linda, that's 31 years. Yes, it really is that bad. I really don't care if it's bad for this year's recruiting. The numnuts in charge are destroying GT athletics. It's about time someone said something. My only regret is that Kim King is dead as I'm sure he would lead the charge. There is really no one else these days to do so.

Actually, that's 41 years...

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Sure it was a terrible game and very poorly coached. But it is one game. Our talent level is approaching 2014 thanks to good recruiting. Coach needs to grow up. The Assistants need to be held accountable. Too much laughing on the sidelines. Our OL and DL look like they were not put under stress during fall camp. Did the Defense ever face up tempo in practice? Did anyone foresee that N. Ill ran the same flood right play every time they got close? Are our analysts telling Coach how the other teams are going to come after Tech? Let's see if we have a more prepared and focused team in the coming weeks before we make any rash judgments. If we play up to our potential, we can win every game- UGA included. One last comment. I agree with the feelings of the Board about the constant messaging of love and culture. Coach, please just tell the Tech fanbase what is going on with our football team without the salesmanship.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
When should Collins be fired if performance doesn't get a lot better in your opinion?

I think at least to the end of next year (year 4) and probably to end of year 5 so I voted for year 5. I'm resigned to us not being relevant this year based on the depth of the problems I saw Saturday night against a marginal opponent. Only Duke may be close to NIU. Sorry guys/ gals, Collins can't game day coach very well. And the team was unprepared for the game. But the buyout is too big along with the salary for a "proven" coach assuming we could get one. There are no good options here (tic) except hope that things turn around and Collins gets some gameday help IMHO. I think he is too old / experienced to suddenly have the gameday presence to manage a game.

I put in some qualifiers on the poll questions. The Stansbury metric of "looking like we belong on the field" was not met Saturday IMHO. And at some point the low bar of making a bowl becomes relevant to me.

@yellowjacketabe posted this which I'm assuming is right: https://gtswarm.com/threads/fire-geoff-collins.23705/post-820104
"Doing some digging into CGC’s contract will lead you to these facts…

+ 7 year deal worth 23.1 million
+ He is in year 3 currently, making 3.2 million
+ If he is fired within the first four years, he will get all 23.1 million.
+ If he is fired after year 4, he will get 2.4 per year for the years remaining on the 7 year contract.

In conclusion, if we fire him this year, we would fork out 13.8 million. If he is fired at the end of next season (at the end of 4 years) his buyout would be 7.2 million. He isn’t going to get fired this year; that’s a lot of money that I don’t think will be put up or raised. Financially, it’s smarter to wait until the end of next season to can him. That means we may have to deal with this for 23 more games…."
The payout made me change my vote. We cannot afford to fire him. He is here until the end of 2025 in all likelihood. By then this program will be in absolute tatters and it will not matter. Of course, there is always the chance he can turn it around after all, Spurrier did what no one thought was possible in guiding Duke to an ACC championship. Remember the universal disdain for Dabo and the "Clemsoning" taunts? So, who is laughing now? That said, I just do not see a path out of this wilderness for years to come.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer

Georgia fan board wouldn’t want him fired though