When Should Collins be Fired (Poll)

When should Collins be fired?

• Now before KSU game.

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • After KSU game if a loss.

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • End of this year ( year 3 2021) if we don't "look like we belong on the field".

Votes: 65 22.5%
  • End of year 4 (2022) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 82 28.4%
  • End of year 5 (2023) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 31 10.7%
  • End of year 6 (2024) if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't renew contract after year 7 if we don't go to a bowl.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Never, performance doesn't matter.

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The payout made me change my vote. We cannot afford to fire him. He is here until the end of 2025 in all likelihood. By then this program will be in absolute tatters and it will not matter. Of course, there is always the chance he can turn it around after all, Spurrier did what no one thought was possible in guiding Duke to an ACC championship. Remember the universal disdain for Dabo and the "Clemsoning" taunts? So, who is laughing now? That said, I just do not see a path out of this wilderness for years to come.
Dang it. I have to edit my own post. Even Spurrier was not a miracle worker. Duke had a fine season in 1989 but only tied for first in the ACC with UVA.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t see the option of having someone pull something like 12 million out of their *** to do it. If no one has 12 million to pull out of their *** then I suggest we stop bringing it up in every thread! We can’t fire him unless he does something morally or ethically wrong or a blatant recruiting violation happens. You’re better off hoping he figured it out or we get money from some high end donors to get some better assistant coaches.
We all know he has 4-5 years to show something. This is basically Pastner 2.0 minus Rob Bell.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If we lose to KSU on Saturday the ad will have no choice but to fire him because that loss would be a death penalty for the program and probably the ad will be fired also. Just think about it KSU have only been playing football since 2015 and they have never played a power 5 team so heads will role if that happens because that be the worst defeat in probably college football history. We would be the laughing stock of college football and I bet they will be a lot of people losing their jobs if that would happen.
I see what you are saying but the reality is that we are being politely laughed at in a sympathetic sort of way by fans of teams with no skin in the game. My Florida friends are dumbfounded at the stupidity of giving a neophyte coach a 7 year contract but then they had their own version with Ron Zook. Florida, being Florida, did what football factories do when faced with a problem like this...they threw money at it bought out Zook and hired Urban and kept on rolling. Anyway, we are not going to lose to KSU and it would not surprise me if we pulled an upset of UNC or Pitt. It would be the most Tech thing I could imagine.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Go read the game day forum on “from the rumble seat”. This is mild here. That will curl your toes. And that’s for everyone to read.
This is NOTHING compared to what Miami fans were doing to Manny a couple of years ago. Some of them even rented an airplane and flew it around the stadium with a sign that read: "FIRE MANNY NOW" Shoot they may be after him again after that Alabama beatdown.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Which is why I said 4 years instead of 5. Don't forget the terrible mid major losses too. I don't wanna go too far down that road in the football forum, but it shows we are pretty patient, probably because our finances dictate it.
I see what you are saying regarding year 4, I'm just not sure how it relates to Pastner and the basketball side of things.

slugboy

Staff member
I see what you are saying regarding year 4, I'm just not sure how it relates to Pastner and the basketball side of things.
Last year was great, but it’s not hard to recall inexplicable losses by Pastner to teams we’d never lost to before, and to teams we’d never lost to. He turned it around.
I can’t find any old “Fire Pastner” threads, but people weren’t happy after losing to GaState and Mercer last year, or the year before when we missed the ACC tourney under sanctions, or the year we got the sanctions, or the Ron Bell years before that…
I’ve personally waded through enough threads where people wanted Pastner gone to understand the comparison.

In some ways, it made last year’s ACC title a little sweeter to see him turn everything around. He still should’ve gotten the braids before the NCAAs.

(also, speaking of having assistant coaches forced on you, I don’t think Pastner picked any of his initial assistants, including Reveno, who is awesome)

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Last year was great, but it’s not hard to recall inexplicable losses by Pastner to teams we’d never lost to before, and to teams we’d never lost to. He turned it around.
I can’t find any old “Fire Pastner” threads, but people weren’t happy after losing to GaState and Mercer last year, or the year before when we missed the ACC tourney under sanctions, or the year we got the sanctions, or the Ron Bell years before that…
I’ve personally waded through enough threads where people wanted Pastner gone to understand the comparison.

In some ways, it made last year’s ACC title a little sweeter to see him turn everything around. He still should’ve gotten the braids before the NCAAs.

(also, speaking of having assistant coaches forced on you, I don’t think Pastner picked any of his initial assistants, including Reveno, who is awesome)
Believe me, I know what the comparisons are, but comparing football schedules to basketball is apples to oranges. Even elite level basketball teams have head scratching losses throughout the year but end up fine. What Pastner had was the equivalent of 5 to 6 win football seasons in his down years, but even that is hard to equate. This all goes without mentioning the level of difficulty in playing basketball in the ACC vs football in the ACC.

Pastner had also shown that he can put together a staff that can develope players and make drastic scheme adjustments when necessary, are we seeing that from CGC (granted it's still early in CGC era, but do you honestly see that coming?).

In summary, basketball and football, especially at Tech, are two different animal. Giving CGC more time and using CJP as precedent is a weak argument.

Edit: I also admit to having reservations on CJP in the past and agree with you completely about the braids lol.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I know parents and former players read the Swarm, but I doubt recruits read it. Frankly I'm glad people are raising hell about the status of the program. It shows people care about what's happening to Georgia Tech sports, especially a proud football program. Someone mentioned Kim King's name. Does anyone know another advocate like King exist? The fans could really use a leader right now and it's not Todd Stansbury.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The payout made me change my vote. We cannot afford to fire him. He is here until the end of 2025 in all likelihood. By then this program will be in absolute tatters and it will not matter. Of course, there is always the chance he can turn it around after all, Spurrier did what no one thought was possible in guiding Duke to an ACC championship. Remember the universal disdain for Dabo and the "Clemsoning" taunts? So, who is laughing now? That said, I just do not see a path out of this wilderness for years to come.

The other insidious part of the payout is that it reduces money available for the next coach's salary. We were in the best possible situation when CPJ retired as we didn't have a buyout to decrease the amount available for his replacement.

Thus my conclusion that the only good option is for Collins to turn this around. But I'm headed to the wilderness soon to find a way.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
He should have quit himself. No self respecting man would continue to drag a program down that he claims he loves. And if the money is a problem we can take it from the salary of the guy that thought it was a good idea to give a contract longer than 3 years.

slugboy

Staff member
He should have quit himself. No self respecting man would continue to drag a program down that he claims he loves. And if the money is a problem we can take it from the salary of the guy that thought it was a good idea to give a contract longer than 3 years.
1. It’s a rare person who would give up about $15-17 million for their school, when it’s more that they have.
2. Collins’ contract is long, but by two years. No HC is getting a 3 year contract; 5 is the minimum you’ll see at a P5 school

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
1. It’s a rare person who would give up about $15-17 million for their school, when it’s more that they have.
2. Collins’ contract is long, but by two years. No HC is getting a 3 year contract; 5 is the minimum you’ll see at a P5 school

1. Ask Collins how "Rare" he is. He would tell you how different he is.
2. We can argue 1-3 years to long but we all agree its to long and that falls on the AD. Bottom line is head should roll, and roll now before we tank the program for the next 20 years. The gap is getting bigger already and the way our program is going we are killing our chances in the future.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

An issue I have with the basketball comparison is that it is solely based on bad losses. I do not recall the basketball team looking to the bench for a defensive alignment while the opposing point guard is already driving past the 3 point line. I do not recall the offense looking to the sideline for an offensive play with three seconds left on the shot clock. There are issues with the football team that another poster compared to the previous basketball coach's teams not being able to inbound the ball from the baseline. Fundamental substitution and play calling should not ever be this big an issue for an NCAA team, much less for a P5 team. If the NIU coach is correct and all of those issues were because he was running a goal line offense at unexpected positions on the field, what in the world are our coaches going to do when Clemson, ND, and the mutts start mixing things up?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
An issue I have with the basketball comparison is that it is solely based on bad losses. I do not recall the basketball team looking to the bench for a defensive alignment while the opposing point guard is already driving past the 3 point line. I do not recall the offense looking to the sideline for an offensive play with three seconds left on the shot clock. There are issues with the football team that another poster compared to the previous basketball coach's teams not being able to inbound the ball from the baseline. Fundamental substitution and play calling should not ever be this big an issue for an NCAA team, much less for a P5 team. If the NIU coach is correct and all of those issues were because he was running a goal line offense at unexpected positions on the field, what in the world are our coaches going to do when Clemson, ND, and the mutts start mixing things up?
Yeah, personally think the basketball comparison is a red herring. If we want perspective we need to look at other times a football program was in crisis and discuss what was done and how it was handled. Plenty of schools have been right where we are now.

If one wanted to find a Tech comparison one could look at Bobby Ross’s 3rd year, the beginning of which almost made him quit coaching. The fans, in my opinion, were actually less forgiving then and more intolerant of mediocrity. But he turned the team around, got some signature wins and finished above .500. But I would also say any discerning eye could see that the team was well coached and ready to break out at any time.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If the NIU coach is correct and all of those issues were because he was running a goal line offense at unexpected positions on the field, what in the world are our coaches going to do when Clemson, ND, and the mutts start mixing things up?
The one thing is that those teams might not even bother to mix it up. One of our worse losses ever (imo) was the 2009 game to Uga when we were ranked in the top 10 on our field and they beat us by simply handing off to their tailback on every single play. Everyone knew what was going to happen and still we could not prevent it. They had two backs iirc rush for 10 ypc +/-. I hate when a team looks like they don't even need to come up with a gameplan to whip you. Kudos to the NIU coach for coming up with a plan that allowed them to win the game.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
“IF” all parties are still here at the end of the season, the president needs to bring in the HC, AD, and director of admissions. Hire for one week a successful coach like Saban, Ross, Meyer, etc. and go over every single thing we need to do to get better. Then give them an ultimatum. We have nine months to implement this or everyone is fired.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is NOTHING compared to what Miami fans were doing to Manny a couple of years ago. Some of them even rented an airplane and flew it around the stadium with a sign that read: "FIRE MANNY NOW" Shoot they may be after him again after that Alabama beatdown.
You are correct sir, it is hard as hell to get fired at Ga Tech, we dont demand much from our coaches.