When does Pastner feel heat

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Firing Pastner at $2.5M is a very low number to fire a HC. There will be numerous lower level coaches who will jump at the opportunity to coach in the ACC and be based in Atlanta.

More money is required, however, not making the change will be more costly in the long run. We have nearly lost all GT BB fans. Home attendance is the worst in the ACC and we tend to have more opposing fans than almost and arena in the ACC.

The current team lacks enough ACC caliber players to compete regardless of the coach. The next coach might not have many current players as a massive amount of transfers is likely after this disastrous season. None of our better players will want to come back for a rinse and repeat season like this one.
I am less worried about losing current players than I am losing incoming guys (Mainly Blue Cain) - but for me it just doesn't make sense to spend more dead money on coaches not coaching here + Pay another coaches buyout to come on top of everything else we have to fund.

I get it though, and wouldn't suggest I know the right answer, just that it isn't as cut and dried as some of us are trying to make it sound like it is.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No telling who will transfer out if a new coach is hired but several ACC schools almost completely reloaded in the transfer portal. Pitt, Wake, NCSU. It can be done faster now than before but that extra COVID year will be ending and no more 5 and 6 year guys. Shooting woes have been the Achilles heel this year without having inside offense or size. Live by the jump shot, die by the jump shot.

slugboy

Staff member
K. Now we’re the worst team in the ACC and literally nobody cares about a a conference tournament played under Covid rules. Can anybody tell me who won the Big 10, SEC, Big 12, PAC 12, and Big East tournaments that year without looking them up? Didn’t think so.
If nobody cares who won the ACC tournament and was conference champions, why are you arguing about it?
Why would anyone say that you shouldn’t count or put an asterisk on a tournament win they don’t care about?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
How old are those posts?
I don’t see us being able to go snag a proven PG and 5 plus a role player looking for his shot to shine at the 4 without having $500k or more available in NIL money.

I also don’t see a HC looking at our production at those spots wanting to take our roster over without money to go get those same kids from the portal.

So to me it feels like a cost we have to fund either way (fire or retain CJP).
You do realize that the school cannot fund NIL in any way, shape or form. That money has to come from outside the athletic department.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am less worried about losing current players than I am losing incoming guys (Mainly Blue Cain) - but for me it just doesn't make sense to spend more dead money on coaches not coaching here + Pay another coaches buyout to come on top of everything else we have to fund.

I get it though, and wouldn't suggest I know the right answer, just that it isn't as cut and dried as some of us are trying to make it sound like it is.
It is cut and dry. Make no change and we are last place in the ACC again next year having the same conversation with no high level talent coming in. Rinse and repeat yearly. In BB we are in worse shape than we were in football when we dumped Collins. CJP's $2.5M buyout is really low. How many more years do you want to pay him that same salary for the garbage we are seeing on the court.

slugboy

Staff member
How old are those posts?

You do realize that the school cannot fund NIL in any way, shape or form. That money has to come from outside the athletic department.
I make that same point a lot. It can be the same donors as for the AA, and a dollar from them for NIL is a dollar that doesn’t go to the AA, though

I do wish we wouldn’t mingle the concepts when we talk about it. It’s frustrating

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just read the AJC article about our shooting woes. I would not be surprised if it's that it has become mental (confidence) in some cases much like a golfer with putting. I also wonder if the guys are rushing their release or not jumping straight up like they do in practice. I just find it baffling that the entire team is in a shooting slump.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
It is cut and dry. Make no change and we are last place in the ACC again next year having the same conversation with no high level talent coming in. Rinse and repeat yearly. In BB we are in worse shape than we were in football when we dumped Collins. CJP's $2.5M buyout is really low. How many more years do you want to pay him that same salary for the garbage we are seeing on the y
It is cut and dry. Make no change and we are last place in the ACC again next year having the same conversation with no high level talent coming in. Rinse and repeat yearly. In BB we are in worse shape than we were in football when we dumped Collins. CJP's $2.5M buyout is really low. How many more years do you want to pay him that same salary for the garbage we are seeing on the court.
Yes I agree that offense is garbage, curious to see what it will look like if Pastner stays and we have a mass exit of guys and like you said no high level talent coming in. It could be worse than 1-10.... 😩

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The posts you are responding to are by people trying to say Pastner has never done anything worth praising. It's fruitless to try applying logic to your response.
I never said Pastner accomplished nothing. I have Pointed out he’s a terrible option that doesn’t fit the school or community he’s coaching in and he’s over his head.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Let me help you. We won the ACCT that year. Full stop, nothing else to add, no caveats, no, ifs, ands, or buts.

Everything else is you just bicthing about the program which everyone agrees is in bad shape.
Right, dont present an alternate opinion or perception of what happened. Cause you’re just bitching.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
14332C63-5E47-4FA4-B414-029D093DEB9F.jpeg

Just a decent 3pt shooter & next GTMBB HC. 😜

MidtownJacket

Staff member
How old are those posts?

I understand but at this point it’s a distinction without a difference. We either raise funds through the GTAA for coaching [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅100)̲̅$̲̅] or we get boosters to fund NIL, either way the dollar is the same and it’s where it’s being spent.

I concede your point though that it’s operationally treated differently
One more year. If we give him a fair shake and have some breathing room from shaking up the Atheltoc department AND football program (lord willing get back to a better than .500 team in football) and have some spare to raise more dollars that gives us a better platform to be recruiting a new coach from.

I make that same point a lot. It can be the same donors as for the AA, and a dollar from them for NIL is a dollar that doesn’t go to the AA, though

I do wish we wouldn’t mingle the concepts when we talk about it. It’s frustrating

Fair enough, I’ll be more explicit as I don’t want to add confusion to the way it works.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I understand but at this point it’s a distinction without a difference. We either raise funds through the GTAA for coaching [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅100)̲̅$̲̅] or we get boosters to fund NIL, either way the dollar is the same and it’s where it’s being spent.
Not really. It is not something that comes from the athletic department budget, so it is not something that you can say they have to figure out how to fund.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

One more year. If we give him a fair shake and have some breathing room from shaking up the Atheltoc department AND football program (lord willing get back to a better than .500 team in football) and have some spare to raise more dollars that gives us a better platform to be recruiting a new coach from.

Fair enough, I’ll be more explicit as I don’t want to add confusion to the way it works.
@MidtownJacket, I get your point. Pastner probably hasn’t had the necessary resources to fully compete in this environment. However, I believe we have made to the point where not firing him would be a sign to the fan base that the AA cannot or does not want to fix an obvious problem. Giving him another year with more resources will only delay the inevitable, at this point. I like Pastner and I still hold out a sliver of hope for a miracle run that saves the season…but if I am honest, I know it is not going to happen. He is finished and needs to be done at GT. Last year was bad, this year is an embarrassment. Not firing him after this debacle is only going to make things worse.
Now, when it comes to the new coach, I agree that yes, we absolutely need to commit to giving him the resources needed to compete in this environment.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I get your point. Pastner probably hasn’t had the necessary resources to fully compete in this environment. However, I believe we have made to the point where not firing him would be a sign to the fan base that the AA cannot or does not want to fix an obvious problem. Giving him another year with more resources will only delay the inevitable, at this point. I like Pastner and I still hold out a sliver of hope for a miracle run that saves the season…but if I am honest, I know it is not going to happen. He is finished and needs to be done at GT. Last year was bad, this year is an embarrassment. Not firing him after this debacle is only going to make things worse.
Now, when it comes to the new coach, I agree that yes, we absolutely need to commit to giving him the resources needed to compete in this environment.

The biggest sign that the AA cannot or does not want to fix the problem is if they fire Pastner just to hire a dud and try to sell that being "not previous coach" is the way to go. Of course our fanbase is probably dumb enough to buy it so they'll probably do that.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Riiiiight. Zero outside contributing factors. Won every game by 100