When does Pastner feel heat

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are absolutely the laughing stock. Especially today following that loss. I just recorded a radio show where all I could do was laugh at the jabs because what is the defense?

This program, in that city, in that state, in that conference, to be this bad for this long is a TRAGEDY. We are Boston College south right now.

Do not even tell me about our GD ACCT championship in which the number 1 seed forfeited due to a glorified cold.

1 season in 7 within the top 170 in offensive efficiency

1 season in 7 within the top 155 in effective field goal percentage offense

1 season in 7 within the top 115 in tempo

Zero seasons in seven within the top 115 in 3pt shooting

1 season in 7 within the top 143 of defensive turnover percentage

But hey, we defend the three point line well. We have a 102-110 record and a single tournament game to show for it. Took most of us 7 seconds of the IDEA of this guy getting an interview to realize he wasn’t it and the people in charge let it run on for AT LEAST 7 years. We are the JC Penney of this league.
While I don't agree with discounting our ACCT championship, I will also note that we are not Boston College South right now either. We are significantly worse than Boston College, currently. Part of why I don't think I'm gonn bother to mke that trip.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While I don't agree with discounting our ACCT championship, I will also note that we are not Boston College South right now either. We are significantly worse than Boston College, currently. Part of why I don't think I'm gonn bother to mke that trip.
The sad thing is that we are not playing well. The train is off the tracks right now and I don't see (or know) how it gets right again this year. There are lots of things not working.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The last two games have been significant regime lows. However, I support Pastner and the players as long as there are games to be played. Unwavering loyalty. Until there is an official change, count on my support. I like Pastner, I would love for him to have sustained success, or surprising success if there is a miracle ACCT run.

IF I’M GRANTED ONE MAJOR CRITICISM, Pastner knew in the preseason what we had at the 5 position, and he didn’t effectively scheme to run something OTHER than the Princeton. As a result, he did not maximize the current skill set of selected players, but even more crippling, he exposed a key weakness for the competition. It resulted in a fractured flow of the offense, created unreliable rhythm and momentum, and shook the confidence for players to consistently find comfort, which ultimately resulted in limited reliable growth for the majority of the roster. Now that the losing streak is a runaway train, and mental confidence is long lost, every minute of every game is a struggle, and we seem defeated by the exhaustion of it all before we ever get it going in a game.

Hope it turns around for these Players and this Program. If there is a change, then we’ll all prob need the media guide for all the new faces.
While we may lose much of the roster if there is a coaching change the team can’t be much worse than 1-10 in conference play regardless of who the players are.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Discounting the ACC championship is silly. At the same time we are a much worse team than at the start of the season. There is no excuse for the state of this team right now.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Discounting the ACC championship is silly. At the same time we are a much worse team than at the start of the season. There is no excuse for the state of this team right now.
I saw someone recently say we were going to get blown out by UVA had they not gotten COVID. We had them on the ropes at the final media timeout in both games that season. We were winning that damn semifinal. The extra day of rest for FSU was nice though.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I saw someone recently say we were going to get blown out by UVA had they not gotten COVID. We had them on the ropes at the final media timeout in both games that season. We were winning that damn semifinal. The extra day of rest for FSU was nice though.

While that is true it doesn't matter. We played by the rules at the time.

Frankly, if anyone whines about it not being a real championship and bemoans losing in the first round of the big tournament and leaves out that Moses couldn't play for the same reason, they are arguing from a dishonest angle.

That team was really good at the end of the year. This team gets worse by the game. Attempting to rewrite history doesn't change either.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When we were clicking and at full strength at the end of the season nobody enjoyed playing us. Wish we could have been at full strength for the NCAA tournament. Could have been a deep run.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
When we were clicking and at full strength at the end of the season nobody enjoyed playing us. Wish we could have been at full strength for the NCAA tournament. Could have been a deep run.
With Moses, I think that team was a shoe in for the second weekend. With the way our quadrant played out (Oregon State), Elite 8 would not have been unheard of and maybe Final 4 with an upset of Houston.

Watching Moses own Cameron Krutwig and Kofi Cockburn would have been awesome.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
This is the first year I can remember where I have access to ACCT tickets and I didn't even think about getting them. We will likely get destroyed on Tuesday against another crappy team. The secondary market for ACCT tix will be the worst ever. No great teams this year UVA is cream of the crop, but I don't think they're great. Duke, UNC & State people will show up because it's GSO, but I doubt semi and final tix go for 70% of face value. Sad days indeed for the ACC

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
This is the first year I can remember where I have access to ACCT tickets and I didn't even think about getting them. We will likely get destroyed on Tuesday against another crappy team. The secondary market for ACCT tix will be the worst ever. No great teams this year UVA is cream of the crop, but I don't think they're great. Duke, UNC & State people will show up because it's GSO, but I doubt semi and final tix go for 70% of face value. Sad days indeed for the ACC
There hasn't been much of a secondary market for ACCT tickets in years. The big tournament has swallowed the conference tournaments from a fan's perspective. They just don't mean much anymore.

I say this as someone who goes to the ACCT most years out of the last 20+ years.

slugboy

Staff member
I saw a post on this board linking a tweet that said we were “the most level-headed fan base in the ACC”.

If FSU won the ACC two years ago, they would hang the banner in their rafters and would say they earned it. Their path to the championship game was basically the same, and we solidly won that game. If COVID had knocked us out of the game with UVA instead of the reverse, UVA would happily hang the banner and say they earned it. Same with Duke or UNC or Wake or Notre Dame or NCST.

Bill Parcells was a football coach, but he has a quote that’s right for basketball too—“You are what your record says you are”. We were really good two years ago. We aren’t right now.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
While that is true it doesn't matter. We played by the rules at the time.

Frankly, if anyone whines about it not being a real championship and bemoans losing in the first round of the big tournament and leaves out that Moses couldn't play for the same reason, they are arguing from a dishonest angle.

That team was really good at the end of the year. This team gets worse by the game. Attempting to rewrite history doesn't change either.
The tournament game was what it was when we were missing our best player. We actually made a couples runs at them if I remember correctly.

But winning a game by forfeit is a notation that needs to be taken into account when remembering that ACC Tournament title.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I saw a post on this board linking a tweet that said we were “the most level-headed fan base in the ACC”.

If FSU won the ACC two years ago, they would hang the banner in their rafters and would say they earned it. Their path to the championship game was basically the same, and we solidly won that game. If COVID had knocked us out of the game with UVA instead of the reverse, UVA would happily hang the banner and say they earned it. Same with Duke or UNC or Wake or Notre Dame or NCST.

Bill Parcells was a football coach, but he has a quote that’s right for basketball too—“You are what your record says you are”. We were really good two years ago. We aren’t right now.
We finished 5th in conference in 19-20 season; we were very hot at the end of that year. If Jose hadn't hurt his ankle and tried to come back to early for UGA, we easily win 20 games that year.

The fact of the matter is Josh had two very good years in row (5th & 4th place finishes), the first back-to-back winning seasons in the ACC in almost 30 years. That shouldn't be diminished or overlooked.

I've got my thoughts on what happened, but the reality is that has no bearing on where things stand today. The last two years have been rough by any estimate and cannot be overlooked.

We had an opportunity to build on that and pull our program together. Instead it took a steep nose dive. It's a damn shame that Josh let that opportunity slip through his fingers.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Our record in 20-21 was 17-9, 11-6. Overall, an ok year but nothing to write home about. In conference, one of the best years in program history. Approx .600 winning pct in conference has only happened a couple of times in Tech history.

At UNC, Duke, UVA and FSU, that’s a bad year and the fans are restless. Wake is probably a better comparison. Good academics, smaller student body and ups and downs in conference play.

slugboy

Staff member
A friend shared this today

760C3081-FBE1-4F8B-A165-8B0FB9A65D2E.jpeg

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow

I would place an asterisk next to those as well.

slugboy

Staff member
I would place an asterisk next to those as well.
  1. Thanks to COVID the season was more challenging to coach and play
  2. The team started slowly because of a restricted COVID practice plan that was more severe than other teams
  3. All the other teams played under the same conditions
  4. If anything, winning the tournament was HARDER
It really doesn't. We all played by the same rules.
Look Up This Is It GIF by Audible

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I strongly dislike rewriting historical fact off fandom fiction when evaluating hiring decisions.

Example:

"If no one had Covid challenges in the ACCT GT wouldn't have won"
"If we had Moses we would have won the NCAAT"

They are equally unprovable, so while entertaining for throwing around message boards or group chats, unhelpful in the steady-hand evaluation of coaches and staff. They all (at every program) deal within the realities of their situation to the best of their abilities. I know people are here to talk and shoot the breeze, I just don't love seeing our accomplishments attempting to be diminished without cause.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I strongly dislike rewriting historical fact off fandom fiction when evaluating hiring decisions.

Example:

"If no one had Covid challenges in the ACCT GT wouldn't have won"
"If we had Moses we would have won the NCAAT"

They are equally unprovable, so while entertaining for throwing around message boards or group chats, unhelpful in the steady-hand evaluation of coaches and staff. They all (at every program) deal within the realities of their situation to the best of their abilities. I know people are here to talk and shoot the breeze, I just don't love seeing our accomplishments attempting to be diminished without cause.
The posts you are responding to are by people trying to say Pastner has never done anything worth praising. It's fruitless to try applying logic to your response.