When does Pastner feel heat

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
What bothers me about the 20-21 ACCT is that a lot of people had already made excuses for Pastner losing to both Georgia State and Mercer because we were tired and didn’t have fresh legs. We lost to Mercer after we had a night off after the 4OT loss to GSU. But everybody wanted to excuse a terrible loss because we were “tired” and they weren’t. It shouldn’t have mattered if we were tired or not. We were playing a mid-major from our own state at home, and we got beat by 10 freaking points. Unacceptable, but just another in a long line of Pastner’s unacceptable losses.

Now we’re supposed to act like us having a day off and then playing a championship game against FSU who played on 2 consecutive nights isn’t a huge advantage? We were gifted that tournament win. The same excuse some of y’all used to cover for JP is the only reason we won that tournament. Does that mean we shouldn’t celebrate it or hang a banner up? Hell no. We should. If people ask me about GT basketball I’m quick to tell them we won the ACC a couple of years ago. But when it comes down to it, that ACCT win didn’t mean ****. We didn’t land any recruits after it, and we’ve been terrible ever since. We didn’t even have fans in the stands for the run that year, so nobody really could get excited about the team. For all intents and purposes it was pretty useless in regard to building a better basketball program. The only semblance of an ACC winning basketball team left on our campus is that banner in the rafters. Cause we sure as hell don’t look that way on the court

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
What bothers me about the 20-21 ACCT is that a lot of people had already made excuses for Pastner losing to both Georgia State and Mercer because we were tired and didn’t have fresh legs. We lost to Mercer after we had a night off after the 4OT loss to GSU. But everybody wanted to excuse a terrible loss because we were “tired” and they weren’t. It shouldn’t have mattered if we were tired or not. We were playing a mid-major from our own state at home, and we got beat by 10 freaking points. Unacceptable, but just another in a long line of Pastner’s unacceptable losses.

Now we’re supposed to act like us having a day off and then playing a championship game against FSU who played on 2 consecutive nights isn’t a huge advantage? We were gifted that tournament win. The same excuse some of y’all used to cover for JP is the only reason we won that tournament. Does that mean we shouldn’t celebrate it or hang a banner up? Hell no. We should. If people ask me about GT basketball I’m quick to tell them we won the ACC a couple of years ago. But when it comes down to it, that ACCT win didn’t mean ****. We didn’t land any recruits after it, and we’ve been terrible ever since. We didn’t even have fans in the stands for the run that year, so nobody really could get excited about the team. For all intents and purposes it was pretty useless in regard to building a better basketball program. The only semblance of an ACC winning basketball team left on our campus is that banner in the rafters. Cause we sure as hell don’t look that way on the court
Let me help you. We won the ACCT that year. Full stop, nothing else to add, no caveats, no, ifs, ands, or buts.

Everything else is you just bicthing about the program which everyone agrees is in bad shape.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Let me help you. We won the ACCT that year. Full stop, nothing else to add, no caveats, no, ifs, ands, or buts.

Everything else is you just bicthing about the program which everyone agrees is in bad shape.
K. Now we’re the worst team in the ACC and literally nobody cares about a a conference tournament played under Covid rules. Can anybody tell me who won the Big 10, SEC, Big 12, PAC 12, and Big East tournaments that year without looking them up? Didn’t think so.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
K. Now we’re the worst team in the ACC and literally nobody cares about a a conference tournament played under Covid rules? Can anybody tell me who won the Big 10, SEC, Big 12, PAC 12, and Big East tournaments that year without looking them up? Didn’t think so.
LOL! What an absurd and irrelevant point. No one knows who won any of those tournaments for any year outside Covid rules either. But I guarantee the fans of those teams who won their tournament know that they won and none of them are pooping on it like you (and some other fonts) are.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
LOL! What an absurd and irrelevant point. No one knows who won any of those tournaments for any year outside Covid rules either. But I guarantee the fans of those teams who won their tournament know that they won and none of them are pooping on it like you (and some other fonts) are.
I’m not ****ting on anybody. You and your little group of Pastner apologists are the ones ****ting on everybody else. You have been for the last 5 years. Can’t say anything that can even be perceived as remotely bad about the guy or you get chastised.

Dude, I already said I’m very quick to tell other people that **** on GT basketball that we won the conference just a couple of years ago. I hope other fans do that as well. But within our own GT community, it’s okay to say that winning that tournament didn’t really do much for the program. Very few fans saw a game in person, we didn’t land any recruits, and we were one-and-done in the big dance.

Your little group of Pastner apologists also loved to pull out the “we didn’t have fresh legs” excuse against Mercer, and then turn right around and say “we won fair and square. Nothing weird about this tournament. Trust me. We played by the rules we won. Fresh legs or not that was the rules.” It’s silly to act like losing to an inferior team at home after having a night off is okay, but that we also didn’t have a massive advantage in the ACC title game when FSU played the previous night.

IM NOT SAYING NOT TO CELEBRATE THE TOURNAMENT WIN. I’m just saying that the tournament win didn’t help the program in any way moving forward, and quite frankly looking at these last 2 years, it probably helped move it backwards.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not ****ting on anybody. You and your little group of Pastner apologists are the ones ****ting on everybody else. You have been for the last 5 years. Can’t say anything that can even be perceived as remotely bad about the guy or you get chastised.

Dude, I already said I’m very quick to tell other people that **** on GT basketball that we won the conference just a couple of years ago. I hope other fans do that as well. But within our own GT community, it’s okay to say that winning that tournament didn’t really do much for the program. Very few fans saw a game in person, we didn’t land any recruits, and we were one-and-done in the big dance.

Your little group of Pastner apologists also loved to pull out the “we didn’t have fresh legs” excuse against Mercer, and then turn right around and say “we won fair and square. Nothing weird about this tournament. Trust me. We played by the rules we won. Fresh legs or not that was the rules.” It’s silly to act like losing to an inferior team at home after having a night off is okay, but that we also didn’t have a massive advantage in the ACC title game when FSU played the previous night.

IM NOT SAYING NOT TO CELEBRATE THE TOURNAMENT WIN. I’m just saying that the tournament win didn’t help the program in any way moving forward, and quite frankly looking at these last 2 years, it probably helped move it backwards.
LOL! Apologists! LOL! Dude, get over yourself.

Even better, show me one post on this or any other site where I posted anything remotely that can be construed as apologist for Pastner, let alone excused those losses.

Last edited:

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

I somehow missed the excuses about losing to Mercer. I have no idea why you are obsessed with this.

How about you drop it and I promise you if any scoundrel makes this excuse I will chastise the offender appropriately?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am only speaking for myself here, I make no apologies for where we are and how we got here. I DO however acknowledge HOW we got here. We missed on recruits and we don't have a great scheme. Both things point back to the desk of the HC. I think we can all agree on that point.

Where we differ, for the most part, is the solution.

Today we don't spend enough to improve our staff or NIL recruiting in meaningful ways. Coaches aren't fools. They are professionals who understand what it takes to compete at the top level of their craft. Unless we have some big whales lined up to start dropping 10-12M up front, with more coming, we aren't going to go poach a proven, winning Power5 Coach.

It won't happen because:
  1. We won't be able to guarantee their salary (at a raise of what CJP gets) + Fund an appropriate and less pathetic Staff Salary + Pay the NIL needed to sign guys who move the needle. Posters here, and elsewhere, have spent time lining out the numbers better than I care to do here, and with more specificity, but that is literally table stakes to go get a relaunched and ready to win set of staff and players. No major coach is coming here, after we fire CJP, for a less than 4 year contract and at less than 2M a year. Remember Pastner isn't even in the top 50 paid coaches and makes that now. )
  2. Plus you gotta go throw at least a million a year at ACs and Staff.
  3. Plus pay a buy out to CJP.
  4. Plus fund some players (call it $500K a year) to get a PG and a Big and maybe a SG/PF.

ORRR you take the NIL + 1M a year in ACs and Staff and try to go do it with CJP. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and you gotta fund the new HC contract. You however, have kicked the can another year and have some breathing room off the removal of an AD, the HFBC and much of that staff.

It's just not practical to pull the plug on CJP yet.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I somehow missed the excuses about losing to Mercer. I have no idea why you are obsessed with this.

How about you drop it and I promise you if any scoundrel makes this excuse I will chastise the offender appropriately?

Legit question here, why shouldn’t that be a discussion that we’d have tired legs? Not saying we still shouldn’t beat Mercer, but why wouldn’t a commentator bring up us having tired legs, playing 48 hours after the longest game in team history with a short bench? Seems like any rational commentator would discuss that during the game.

I know none of us like excuses, but I think the GSU and Mercer games were more a product of when and how they were scheduled than anything else. Everybody knows GState is a good team with a good coach and that game really could have gone either way. But playing in our first game, after 4OTs, and being forced to play again in under 48 hours, you could tell our legs were tired against Mercer. That's the one we should have won, but they fought hard, and we were clearly tired. It was the worst set-up for a game--short turn around, no fans, tired legs, hungry opponent.

I'm thinking those first two games will not be so bad in the eyes of the committee in retrospec.
game 1 went in 4 overtimes without proper practice.
game 2 was two days later on tired legs against a mercer team thats still undefeated.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gonna have to update the title to Getinthemiddleofit! coach if you keep it up...

Joseph Sikora Starz GIF by Power Book II: Ghost

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Please explain what you mean by this?
I don’t see us being able to go snag a proven PG and 5 plus a role player looking for his shot to shine at the 4 without having $500k or more available in NIL money.

I also don’t see a HC looking at our production at those spots wanting to take our roster over without money to go get those same kids from the portal.

So to me it feels like a cost we have to fund either way (fire or retain CJP).

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t see us being able to go snag a proven PG and 5 plus a role player looking for his shot to shine at the 4 without having $500k or more available in NIL money.

I also don’t see a HC looking at our production at those spots wanting to take our roster over without money to go get those same kids from the portal.

So to me it feels like a cost we have to fund either way (fire or retain CJP).
Firing Pastner at $2.5M is a very low number to fire a HC. There will be numerous lower level coaches who will jump at the opportunity to coach in the ACC and be based in Atlanta.

More money is required, however, not making the change will be more costly in the long run. We have nearly lost all GT BB fans. Home attendance is the worst in the ACC and we tend to have more opposing fans than almost and arena in the ACC.

The current team lacks enough ACC caliber players to compete regardless of the coach. The next coach might not have many current players as a massive amount of transfers is likely after this disastrous season. None of our better players will want to come back for a rinse and repeat season like this one.