When does Pastner feel heat

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. i just had a conversation with a longtime BB in my area (HS level). Over a long career has won 2 state championships. But has also had some losing seasons along the way. Content to coach the kids who show up and enjoys doing so, come what may. This coach is now getting pressure to "recruit" area kids to the school where this person works. Keep in mind this IS HS basketball. This coach is thinking of hanging it up bc of this. To your point, some coaches only like coaching AND despise the peripheral stuff. I think our former FB coach (the one who actually was a good coach and immediately prior to TFG) had an element of this about him as well.

Disclaimer: I am NOT trying to make this a FB conversation so can we nip that in the bud please?
A high school coach being pressured to recruit is one thing. As a college coach you know going in that recruiting is 50% or more your job. I don’t think the 2 situations are comparable.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
I have been wondering about the Hewitt firing? If we had to over again should we? Obviously not if we were going to end up with the coaches we got.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A high school coach being pressured to recruit is one thing. As a college coach you know going in that recruiting is 50% or more your job. I don’t think the 2 situations are comparable.
I think you are missing the point. Of course a college coach understands he has to recruit. But schmoozing and gladhanding the boosters, as the poster I responded to alluded to, is distateful to some college coaches.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think you are missing the point. Of course a college coach understands he has to recruit. But schmoozing and gladhanding the boosters, as the poster I responded to alluded to, is distateful to some college coaches.
Once again, it’s part of the job. Coaches know that going in. They know some places will require more off the court work than others. It’s not like they get on campus and then are surprised about the demands of the job.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Did you follow Hewitt's career post-GT?
One thing to consider is if we aren’t paying off 2 coaches throughout the early part of the decade, are we putting Brian Gregory’s money towards players like we did with Favors, Jack, etc?

As I’ve mentioned before, I wasn’t follow GT super closely then but I don’t think there’s any doubt Hewitt did less with more than most coaches. Buuuuut…we ended up trading less is more for about-right with less and went an entire decade without an NCAAT appearance because of it. Although the McCamish renovation likely had a huge impact on the player slush fund. I’ve only seen AMC in videos, but it was an old building and it was probably about time for it to get reworked.

Key is cheap, Pastner’s buyout is low, and NIL is thing - maybe the money injection will come in the next few years for MBB.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
No, instead we let him walk and head to Queens like he wanted to and not fire him THE VERY NEXT SEASON
There had to be more to that. Anyone know? The interest from the other school was overblown if not a total fairy tale?? it didn’t add up. The writing was on the wall and we had a get out of jail free card staring us in the face. Why on earth would we double down on what had proved to be an awful contract?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If someone would have told me years ago that our basketball program would have been this bad for this long I would have never believed it. Extremely disappointing

I almost cant watch anymore because it's so unfathomable.

Don't get me wrong, we weren't a blue blood. But we were solid most years, at worst. A bubble team, at worst

Now, it'd take a gargantuan leap for us to sniff consistent bubble team level.

And there's literally nothing we can do about it unless some other school wants our guy more than we do. Which .... how?

We are Atreyu's horse. Stuck in the Swamps of Sadness**.

** Come on. How's that for a reference, huh?. And, yes, little 8 year-old me never forgot that tear-inducing scene. :cry:

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Don't get me wrong, we weren't a blue blood. But we were solid most years, at worst. A bubble team, at worst

And there's literally nothing we can do about it unless some other school wants our guy more than we do. Which .... how?

** Come on. How's that for a reference, huh?. And, yes, little 8 year-old me never forgot that tear-inducing scene. :cry:
Never Ending GIF

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

This about the fifth time I’ve seen someone reference that terrible movie scene from my childhood. I don’t like it, or I didn’t when I saw it as a child. I’m also sure that movie does not hold up….at all 🤣

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm disappointed too. Gave ND their first ACC win. Still have patience, but that's only because I only watch the scores sometimes while doing other things.

If baseball sucked this bad, I'd be really depressed.