When does Pastner feel heat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
So I just fulfilled a contract for MyBookie which involved some research into Wednesdays game and some numbers are turning. Granted this is all from a wagering standpoint

Pastner was one of the best coaches in the ACC against the spread over his first four seasons in Atlanta. Since 2020, Georgia Tech is just 17-20-1 ATS at home and underperforming the spread by -0.5 points per game. That number jumps to -1.9 if you change the filter to Since 2021. Since 2016 the program has the third most losses in the league at home at 39.

Margin of victory number at home since 2020 is just +5.7. This number doesn’t average just victories, it’s every final spread. That’s fifth worst in the league over that span.

As a home favorite we are also fifth worst in the league since 2020 at 10-11 and underperforming the number by -2.1. Despite the inability to cover spreads we are 17-4 SU as the favorite.

One of the more interesting facts about these numbers that put us down near the bottom is that Miami (FL) is significantly worse than us in some of these results. They are 3-0 ATS on the road this season though and covering by over 8 ppg.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
More specifically, in college basketball the overall percentage has been between 67-70% for over 50 years.

The NBA stays around 75% every year.

There is no decline in free throw shooting. It has been very consistent for a very long time.
free throw shooting is the biggest lie the “back in my day” people have ever told.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
70% is the median percent made now. That hasn’t changed in a long time.

More specifically, in college basketball the overall percentage has been between 67-70% for over 50 years.

The NBA stays around 75% every year.

There is no decline in free throw shooting. It has been very consistent for a very long time.
Ok, fine, let me rephrase, point guards should easily be able to shoot above 80% from the free throw line.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ok, fine, let me rephrase, point guards should easily be able to shoot above 80% from the free throw line.
Although they don't, I agree that almost everyone should be able to. If they shot like Rick Berry did, they would. The problem is it's deemed unmanly. Rick Berry was such a mean SoB that he didn't care what people thought. He wanted to win any way he could. That's why Wilt only did it for part of a season even though it improved his effectiveness 10 points.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't see any big jump in improved performance this season. We might get an unexpected win or two on a hot shooting night and the opponent plays poorly but an overall losing season. Pastner will survive after this season but unless he brings in some bigs that can play ACC level and he doesn't lose guys to the portal, he will not get more than next season to prove himself. The FB program will be established (good or bad) and basketball will then be in focus. I like the guy but at some point he has to establish some consistency in the program. One good season every 5 or 6 years isn't getting it done and he knows it.
maybe we should have taken a package deal from tulane? football and basketball coach

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
So I just fulfilled a contract for MyBookie which involved some research into Wednesdays game and some numbers are turning. Granted this is all from a wagering standpoint

Pastner was one of the best coaches in the ACC against the spread over his first four seasons in Atlanta. Since 2020, Georgia Tech is just 17-20-1 ATS at home and underperforming the spread by -0.5 points per game. That number jumps to -1.9 if you change the filter to Since 2021. Since 2016 the program has the third most losses in the league at home at 39.

Margin of victory number at home since 2020 is just +5.7. This number doesn’t average just victories, it’s every final spread. That’s fifth worst in the league over that span.

As a home favorite we are also fifth worst in the league since 2020 at 10-11 and underperforming the number by -2.1. Despite the inability to cover spreads we are 17-4 SU as the favorite.

One of the more interesting facts about these numbers that put us down near the bottom is that Miami (FL) is significantly worse than us in some of these results. They are 3-0 ATS on the road this season though and covering by over 8 ppg.
We've lost 39 games at home in 6+ years? Yowza.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
There are 4 PGs in the ACC shooting free throws over 80%
Maybe so, I haven’t scoured the stats, but damn, y’all are really going to argue with me that point guards shouldn’t be able to shoot 80% with their eyes closed? I guarandamntee you my old a$$ can shoot 70%. 😜

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok, sorry for the thread detour, but out of curiosity, I checked ncaa.com, and there are 190 players in D1 that are shooting over 80% from the line with at least 40 attempts. Most of them are short guards. Apparently only 4 of them play in the ACC ( not really, I didn’t look that closely, but YlJacket said only 4 PG’s in the ACC are over 80%). Interestingly, a lot of them play for the Ionas and the Youngstown States of the world. I contend that modern blue chip AAU kids don’t have to emphasize free throw shooting and don’t have to.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW - players shooting over 80% from the free throw line

ACC has 8
SEC has 9
Big 10 has 8
Big 12 has 7
PAC 12 has 7

No attempt to identify PGs

Per theACC.com no ACC team is shooting 80% from the line though ND is 79.9% 😁

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
FWIW - players shooting over 80% from the free throw line

ACC has 8
SEC has 9
Big 10 has 8
Big 12 has 7
PAC 12 has 7

No attempt to identify PGs

Per theACC.com no ACC team is shooting 80% from the line though ND is 79.9% 😁
As ESPN Jacket said the FY. % hasn’t changed much at all in the past 50 years.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok, sorry for the thread detour, but out of curiosity, I checked ncaa.com, and there are 190 players in D1 that are shooting over 80% from the line with at least 40 attempts. Most of them are short guards. Apparently only 4 of them play in the ACC ( not really, I didn’t look that closely, but YlJacket said only 4 PG’s in the ACC are over 80%). Interestingly, a lot of them play for the Ionas and the Youngstown States of the world. I contend that modern blue chip AAU kids don’t have to emphasize free throw shooting and don’t have to.
The original point was that free throw shooting is worse than in the past. It objectively isn't.

There have always been players better than and worse than the average. This isn't new. You are trying to confirm your bias. I could list a bunch of years but it isn't going to change anyone's entrenched opinion.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Growing up on playground courts the first guys to hit from the free throw line made up the teams. Winning team kept playing and others shot FT's to make up the other team. AAU ball definitely made that skill obsolete for elite players.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think CJP has been feeling the heat since the new AD Hire. He isn't a fool and understands that while Football is getting sorted first, GTMBB will be next on the priority list. You can either have a plan for how you're part of the solution or brush up the resume.

He knows he hasn't done enough, what I can't get figured is why he has this reluctance to move off the Princeton Sets. He keeps talking in pressers about how if guys are hitting shots the offense works, but good goodness guys AREN'T hitting shots. We don't have a guy who can go create his own points either to manufacture scoring when we hit droughts. We can kinda get away with setting up so screens and iso stuff for a1 few of the guys but it's laborious and not the same as BJ Elder driving the hoop or even Jose when he would slap the court and go get some points.

Not having a go to man (other than the "open man") has been a killer for us. Really hope he figures it out, but I believe the time is ticking for him.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The original point was that free throw shooting is worse than in the past. It objectively isn't.

There have always been players better than and worse than the average. This isn't new. You are trying to confirm your bias. I could list a bunch of years but it isn't going to change anyone's entrenched opinion.
The original point I was responding to was that our 2 point guards, Sturdivant and Smith, and our supposed best spot up 3 point shooter, Coleman (approx 40% last season), are all shooting below 70% from the line. The original poster said that these guys should be able to hit 80% from the free throw line, and I agree. My comments were mainly geared towards point guards and shooting guards (and I basically consider Deebo a shooting guard). I may not have made that clear.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I made the original comment that anyone who claims to be a good shooter should be hitting 80% from the free throw line. Otherwise, they are not a good shooter. I stand by that.