When does Pastner feel heat

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
They won't come anyway now with Pastner's job uncertainty. NIL is a lawless mess and will continue to be until some sort of NCAA oversight comes into play or it consumes itself. A lot of these overpaid kids will be a bust and some will transfer despite the money. Word around Chapel Hill was that Bacot got 6 figure NIL to come back this year plus chance for a national championship. How's that working out? Well he probably drives a better car now than I do. We will see more and more busts and wasted money. I really don't have a problem with these kids making a little money on the side but some of these deals are just outrageous.
You are kind of talking around the issue. It will be near impossible for GT to recruit a full team until the NIL situation at GT is fixed. This year the team is basically one position away from being at least mid-ACC and a bubble team (center). If NIL is not fixed soon, I don't expect that Kelly will be on the team next year. Terry might not be able to transfer, but if he can transfer without sitting out a year and NIL isn't fixed, he won't be on the team next year. It isn't just getting a big guy that NIL causes problems for. It is keeping the guys thar are producing on your roster. If GT is able to bring in a serviceable big guy, but loses the scoring guards, it puts the team right back into the same position.

I understand that there are two players who had ACC as their top choice last offseason, but that other ACC teams offered them six figures and GT offered them nothing. They have been making waves for those other teams.

Maybe Pastner is not a good recruiter, maybe he is. In the current climate, and with the current structure at GT, there is not a coach alive who can put together a complete roster.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Maybe Pastner is not a good recruiter, maybe he is. In the current climate, and with the current structure at GT, there is not a coach alive who can put together a complete roster.

I think the definition of recruiting has changed greatly in the past few years. People who were great at recruiting before NIL aren't necessarily going to thrive under the new recruiting paradigm.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You are kind of talking around the issue. It will be near impossible for GT to recruit a full team until the NIL situation at GT is fixed. This year the team is basically one position away from being at least mid-ACC and a bubble team (center). If NIL is not fixed soon, I don't expect that Kelly will be on the team next year. Terry might not be able to transfer, but if he can transfer without sitting out a year and NIL isn't fixed, he won't be on the team next year. It isn't just getting a big guy that NIL causes problems for. It is keeping the guys thar are producing on your roster. If GT is able to bring in a serviceable big guy, but loses the scoring guards, it puts the team right back into the same position.

I understand that there are two players who had ACC as their top choice last offseason, but that other ACC teams offered them six figures and GT offered them nothing. They have been making waves for those other teams.

Those are strong comments. Do you have any facts or just “rumors”.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Those are strong comments. Do you have any facts or just “rumors”.
I am usually pretty specific when I am speculating or the source of information has limited credibility. In the post you quoted, I said "I don't expect Kelly will be on the team next year". Unless my understanding of grammar is way off, that means that it is strictly opinion. The "understanding" of two transfers whose number one choice was GT came from reporting inside a paywall. GT being at the bottom of the ACC in NIL isn't difficult to find. Some of the players even started a drive by themselves to raise something like $250 a month to split amongst themselves.

The post was part opinion and part fact. The opinion parts are for the most part labeled as such. I don't think there is anything there that fits the definition of rumor.

mkemkay

Georgia Tech Fan
This is promising to be a frustrating off season. Between a difficult coaching decision and a need to set up a legitimate NIL offering, there's no palatable path forward for an optimistic 23-24 season.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Some painful nuggets -
"By the NCAA’s NET ranking system, Tech was 176th as of Tuesday morning, ahead of only seven power-conference schools. The Jackets’ KenPom rating was 166th, ahead of eight power-conference schools."

"Season ticket sales were down this season, and average home attendance (4,713) dropped slightly. At multiple home games, 8,600-seat McCamish Pavilion appeared less than half full."

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Some painful nuggets -
"By the NCAA’s NET ranking system, Tech was 176th as of Tuesday morning, ahead of only seven power-conference schools. The Jackets’ KenPom rating was 166th, ahead of eight power-conference schools."

"Season ticket sales were down this season, and average home attendance (4,713) dropped slightly. At multiple home games, 8,600-seat McCamish Pavilion appeared less than half full."

No Georgia Tech players named to All-ACC team 😭 :(

some pretty painful nuggets indeed. And this FSU matchup is not iedal for us.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I think the definition of recruiting has changed greatly in the past few years. People who were great at recruiting before NIL aren't necessarily going to thrive under the new recruiting paradigm.
I think the definition of recruiting has changed greatly in the past few years. People who were great at paying players before NIL aren't necessarily going to thrive under the new recruiting paradigm.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I think we should keep Pastner going into next season. If all come back, we have the making of a good team. We need to replace Franklin in the portal or come close to getting someone good. We really need to hope too that our 7 footer can make some contributions next year. Think getting a new coach is not going to change much and probably cause some of our key players to transfer.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have no idea what I'm talking about since I don't really understand the new landscape of college basketball, but all I know is I would really like to be relevant again.

Congratulations on your captaincy, Mr. Obvious.

;)

Kidding. I think we all agree there.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Translation: Let me see how much money we can put together before I say anything concrete about Pastner.

I don't think it is only about how much money they can put together. From an infrastructure standpoint, GT is not an attractive job for any HC that GT would be interested in.

I think that they will evaluate the program. I think they will have some tough conversations with Pastner. I think that at the end of all of the evaluations and discussions, Pastner will still be the HC next year. Batt needs to fix everything else before he can get a coach that will be better long term to come here. It isn't about whether Pastner "deserves" to be here or not. It is about what is best for GT in the long term.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If Pastner’s teams played November-January like they do February-March, we’d be a perennial ACC contender. But they don’t, and we aren’t. Same old song and dance once again. How many more times will we be subjected to it?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If Pastner’s teams played November-January like they do February-March, we’d be a perennial ACC contender. But they don’t, and we aren’t. Same old song and dance once again. How many more times will we be subjected to it?
The big problem is whether we will fix the underlying issues first, or whether we will be stuck with another Gregory for five years because we want an immediate change.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think it is only about how much money they can put together. From an infrastructure standpoint, GT is not an attractive job for any HC that GT would be interested in.

I think that they will evaluate the program. I think they will have some tough conversations with Pastner. I think that at the end of all of the evaluations and discussions, Pastner will still be the HC next year. Batt needs to fix everything else before he can get a coach that will be better long term to come here. It isn't about whether Pastner "deserves" to be here or not. It is about what is best for GT in the long term.
Totally agree - when you look at the $$$, it doesn't make sense to replace CJP. We just made a change in FB, dumping a lot of money into that program and paying $10M to the former occupant of that office. Pastner's buyout is reportedly $2.5M, and we'd likely have to buyout the new coaches current contract on top of overpaying to get a decent candidate. At this time, the money(if we have it) would be better spent on improving Pastner's staff and ADJB's efforts would be better focused on getting us an effective NIL offering.