When does Pastner feel heat

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Happy New Year GIF

Finally got a Dub.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It's our turn, c62. Gimme half what they wanna pay and I'll put together a GoaT staff.

You can be special asst to the HC. Need someone level-headed to take over when I get ejected from games.

@dtm1997 can be the OC. No one's more offensive than him.

@Techster can be our compliance guy to say 'no' whenever we wanna do something crazy. Everybody hates him anyways so he'd thrive as the fun-killer.

@Peacone36 has got to be in the building, grad asst. Gotta have somebody on staff to yell at. What's more fun than yellin' at peac? Nothing. That's what.

@MidtownJacket is on the trail. His effervescent personality, and the 'catering' package we'll negotiate with Magic City, will ensure the 'cruits make the right decision.

Thats the makings of a championship staff.
Well done my friend

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Pastner has been lobbying hard the last few pressers. He is being overly complimentary of the school at times about the difficulty of the curriculum. Might even scare off some recruits. I did appreciate how he gave some love to the trainers and their dedication to the team. He is working hard to save his job. It may have taken him too long to settle on his starters and to get away from his high post offense. IMO he was trying to use Howard in the offense who BTW is now buried on the bench. Now he has gone to a guard oriented offense that has opened up some of his scorers. Franklin has really come on and played well even though playing against taller opponents. I don't see this team going deep in the ACC. Might get an early upset. Undersized and no real depth to play that many days. It will be interesting to see what Batt does next with this program.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
Pastner has been lobbying hard the last few pressers. He is being overly complimentary of the school at times about the difficulty of the curriculum. Might even scare off some recruits. I did appreciate how he gave some love to the trainers and their dedication to the team. He is working hard to save his job. It may have taken him too long to settle on his starters and to get away from his high post offense. IMO he was trying to use Howard in the offense who BTW is now buried on the bench. Now he has gone to a guard oriented offense that has opened up some of his scorers. Franklin has really come on and played well even though playing against taller opponents. I don't see this team going deep in the ACC. Might get an early upset. Undersized and no real depth to play that many days. It will be interesting to see what Batt does next with this program.
I have the feeling that the team will beat Cuse, raise some expectations and then lose painfully at BC. Or even worse, beat both Cuse and BC and then lose in the first round of the ACCT. No confidence.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I have the feeling that the team will beat Cuse, raise some expectations and then lose painfully at BC. Or even worse, beat both Cuse and BC and then lose in the first round of the ACCT. No confidence.
Most likely scenario is we lose all three games. We will be underdogs in all 3 for sure. Our recent ACC wins are over ND, VT and Louisville, all bottom 1/3rd ACC teams.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Most likely scenario is we lose all three games. We will be underdogs in all 3 for sure. Our recent ACC wins are over ND, VT and Louisville, all bottom 1/3rd ACC teams.
You may be right, but Cuse and BC aren't going anywhere in the postseason unless Boeheim gets a courtesy invitation to the NIT. We're on the road, so winning either will be tough. Neither is much of an upset if it happens.

If we close out with three losses I think Pastner will be asked to leave. But, the way he is lobbying right now makes me wonder if Batt has given him some encouragement. Certainly the team is playing their best basketball when he needs it.

No matter what happens I think most us are ready for this forgettable season to end.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Didn't BC just beat UVa at home? Why would anyone imagine we should win that game?

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Pastner seemed DOOMED after that 9 game stretch. But whatever he did or said in that locker room after the Louisville loss, worked. We've looked completely different since then. No matter what we do from this point, we will finish with a better overall record than last year, and with the same (or more, if we beat BC) amount of wins in conference play. The nine game losing streak is unacceptable, sure. But the fact that Pastner got the team to not give up on themselves and keep fighting when all seemed lost is remarkable.

So... is it enough to give Pastner one more chance? In my opinion we should keep him around. It would lower his buyout in case we don't improve next season, and would likely give us a better chance of the portal being kind to us. Players likely leave if a new coach comes in. We have a 4 star, 6 foot 4 SG named Blue Cain signed and coming next year. If we can keep our guys from going to the portal, and get a decent big man out of the portal, we could make it click next year. I feel for J Batt, he has a tough decision on his hands.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Pastner seemed DOOMED after that 9 game stretch. But whatever he did or said in that locker room after the Louisville loss, worked. We've looked completely different since then. No matter what we do from this point, we will finish with a better overall record than last year, and with the same (or more, if we beat BC) amount of wins in conference play. The nine game losing streak is unacceptable, sure. But the fact that Pastner got the team to not give up on themselves and keep fighting when all seemed lost is remarkable.

So... is it enough to give Pastner one more chance? In my opinion we should keep him around. It would lower his buyout in case we don't improve next season, and would likely give us a better chance of the portal being kind to us. Players likely leave if a new coach comes in. We have a 4 star, 6 foot 4 SG named Blue Cain signed and coming next year. If we can keep our guys from going to the portal, and get a decent big man out of the portal, we could make it click next year. I feel for J Batt, he has a tough decision on his hands.
I have said this before, but there are other factors at play than simply "Is Pastner the correct coach?". I understand that some people just want him gone. However, I think the five year outlook, and even the two year outlook it better keeping Pastner for another year. Get NIL cranked up this year so Kelly and Terry are sure to stick around. I think this is critical so that we can show a history of ability to keep good players. Get a larger pool of money ready for a HC salary and assistant pool.

My take is that if we do those things that in two years we will either be pleased with Pastner, or we will have hired a coach that people are excited about. I think that if we fire Pastner now without doing those things, that in two years we will be lamenting that we got rid of Pastner and everything is still the same.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have said this before, but there are other factors at play than simply "Is Pastner the correct coach?". I understand that some people just want him gone. However, I think the five year outlook, and even the two year outlook it better keeping Pastner for another year. Get NIL cranked up this year so Kelly and Terry are sure to stick around. I think this is critical so that we can show a history of ability to keep good players. Get a larger pool of money ready for a HC salary and assistant pool.

My take is that if we do those things that in two years we will either be pleased with Pastner, or we will have hired a coach that people are excited about. I think that if we fire Pastner now without doing those things, that in two years we will be lamenting that we got rid of Pastner and everything is still the same.
I think biggest issue for Pastner has been poor recruiting. And, from what I can find, Blue Cain is his only HS commit for next year. I think he’s probably a somewhat adequate coach if he could bring in (and retain) talent. I guess he’s hoping to bring in some transfers again. If he can do that, I expect he’ll get another year - but he should be on a very short leash.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think biggest issue for Pastner has been poor recruiting. And, from what I can find, Blue Cain is his only HS commit for next year. I think he’s probably a somewhat adequate coach if he could bring in (and retain) talent. I guess he’s hoping to bring in some transfers again. If he can do that, I expect he’ll get another year - but he should be on a very short leash.
His assistant coaches aren't getting it done with recruiting. Our best players this year are transfers. I think he did recruit Kelly and Coleman. Terry and Franklin are difference makers. Franklin got his chance to play and has made the most of it. The light bulb finally came on that the high post offense wasn't working for this team. He went through a similar epiphany with Jose at PG and took advantage of his skills taking it to the basket. Pastner is obviously fond of that high post offense. He may have thought it would work best with Howard at center. Franklin has changed that although they still run it some with Franklin.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
His assistant coaches aren't getting it done with recruiting.
I think it is known what circumstances we are facing with recruiting. Without NIL, Nate Oats couldn't recruit as a Tech assistant. Until we can give market NIL's, Tech won't get it done, and any relevant assistant coach won't come to Tech.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think it is known what circumstances we are facing with recruiting. Without NIL, Nate Oats couldn't recruit as a Tech assistant. Until we can give market NIL's, Tech won't get it done, and any relevant assistant coach won't come to Tech.
They won't come anyway now with Pastner's job uncertainty. NIL is a lawless mess and will continue to be until some sort of NCAA oversight comes into play or it consumes itself. A lot of these overpaid kids will be a bust and some will transfer despite the money. Word around Chapel Hill was that Bacot got 6 figure NIL to come back this year plus chance for a national championship. How's that working out? Well he probably drives a better car now than I do. We will see more and more busts and wasted money. I really don't have a problem with these kids making a little money on the side but some of these deals are just outrageous.