When does Pastner feel heat

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Note that the quotes above were posted during the game, although @TheDanielHordShow was at the game. Kinda proof of a lack of interest in the program with posts being made during a game. Not calling out the individuals , just showing that when committed fans are doing so, it shows that we have many losing interest.
That is simply evidence of what everyone who watched the game already knew. That was difficult to watch.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
“We need $30M to have a solid basketball program. But I’m not going to give any money to this program because I’m unsatisfied.”

Pleeeaassseeee explain to me how that makes sense. Either put up or shut up. Don’t act like it’s impossible to replace Pastner, and continue to say we should give Pastner more time if you aren’t even supporting the program. If Pastner is your guy, or if you think the program could be worse with somebody else, isn’t that more reason to actually give to the program. So you aren’t contributing to hiring a new coach, or even contributing to help the current coach. But you come on here and lecture anyone who dares to say we should fire Pastner. Stupid.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
27-25 at home turns into 52-25. That should not happen ever.
This team reminds me of the Geoff Collins teams. They sort of sit back and look for something to go wrong, then when they get their confirmation bias, they lean into it. We are down 2, the crowd was engaged and loud, the defensive energy was good, Jalon Moore gets a steal and throws it away on the outlet pass, Armaan Franklin hits a 3, and the team just completely folded for the next 7 minutes on both ends of the court. Fort Myers-level offense and lazy defense. Happened against UNC as well.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m taking potshots…lol. That’s all you and Connell do on here for folks that dare question pastner.

No worries. Year 10 of get old-stay old it’ll still be shut up, donate and be patient.
I just went through 10 pages of my old posts (about 8 months worth) and can't find one being particularly supportive of Pastner. Please help me out with that one if you've got it.

My comments on the financial resources needed to run a winning ACC basketball program have been under the assumption it's for a new coach. It assumes a head coach salary of $3MM+, which isn't something I'd give Pastner, so you clearly are not comprehending what I'm saying.

Again, you mix up your facts and are misdirected in your responses.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
“We need $30M to have a solid basketball program. But I’m not going to give any money to this program because I’m unsatisfied.”

Pleeeaassseeee explain to me how that makes sense. Either put up or shut up. Don’t act like it’s impossible to replace Pastner, and continue to say we should give Pastner more time if you aren’t even supporting the program. If Pastner is your guy, or if you think the program could be worse with somebody else, isn’t that more reason to actually give to the program. So you aren’t contributing to hiring a new coach, or even contributing to help the current coach. But you come on here and lecture anyone who dares to say we should fire Pastner. Stupid.
I think you're directing this at me and you're clearly not reading my comments in full.

If you read my prior comment from about 20 minutes ago, I clearly state it's what's needed to set up a new staff for their first 5 years. $30MM is an aggregate number for a 5 year plan.

I'm totally fine with Pastner being let go at this point. The reason I won't be donating to his buyout is why should I spend my money on things that will benefit GT fans. Even if I've gotta deal with a bad product, I'm just at a point where I don't see why I should incrementally contribute when there are so many here who just think others should foot the bill. Why should I spend my money to benefit those people?

When there's a new regime in place, I'll reconsider donating to GT Hoops.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you, @LargeFO , and everyone else!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think you're directing this at me and you're clearly not reading my comments in full.

If you read my prior comment from about 20 minutes ago, I clearly state it's what's needed to set up a new staff for their first 5 years. $30MM is an aggregate number for a 5 year plan.

I'm totally fine with Pastner being let go at this point. The reason I won't be donating to his buyout is why should I spend my money on things that will benefit GT fans. Even if I've gotta deal with a bad product, I'm just at a point where I don't see why I should incrementally contribute when there are so many here who just think others should foot the bill. Why should I spend my money to benefit those people?

When there's a new regime in place, I'll reconsider donating to GT Hoops.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you, @LargeFO , and everyone else!
I’ve already outlined the fact that the vast majority of that $30M number you keep coming up with has already been budgeted and accounted for and won’t require any “new” money. You say $30M like it’s all completely unaccounted for new money when that’s not close to being true.

Why should you donate to the program? Well if you’re unsatisfied with the results that’s a good start. Also, if you’re gonna lecture everyone on the “realities” of completing a coaching overhaul, maybe stop being so pompous about it. Nobody is forcing you to spend your money on GT athletics. But when you constantly are on here, year after year, telling everyone how impossible it is to afford a coaching change, yet you aren’t contributing at all, it’s a bit hypocritical.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The good thing about basketball is that we're never more than two players away from being a top 25 team (Price/Salley, anyone?).

The bad thing is that unless he surprises me, I no longer believe that Pastner can bring them in. I was hopeful, but that's faded. And I think the recruits know he's not a top shelf coach. Seems like any podunk school with a gym can put together a team that makes the NCAA tournament. Would YOU want to play for Tech at this point? Why?

Once Tech's finances are in better shape, we're going to have to pay for a better coach. I'd be willing to roll the dice now. More of the same is no advantage.

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’ve already outlined the fact that the vast majority of that $30M number you keep coming up with has already been budgeted and accounted for and won’t require any “new” money. You say $30M like it’s all completely unaccounted for new money when that’s not close to being true.

Why should you donate to the program? Well if you’re unsatisfied with the results that’s a good start. Also, if you’re gonna lecture everyone on the “realities” of completing a coaching overhaul, maybe stop being so pompous about it. Nobody is forcing you to spend your money on GT athletics. But when you constantly are on here, year after year, telling everyone how impossible it is to afford a coaching change, yet you aren’t contributing at all, it’s a bit hypocritical.

I never said that a portion of the money is unaccounted for. You made that assumption about my statement.

What I could have and should have added is that I'll believe the GTAA has the will to act when I see it. You hang your hat on a large amount of the money being accounted for.

Why do you assume that when the time comes, the GTAA will step up their investment further, rather than use it as an opportunity to spend well below the mark needed and save a few bucks? They didn't when they needed to upgrade from Hewitt or Gregory.

I'm done donating directly to hoops for now. That's what I said. I'll reconsider when change is ready to occur.

Doesn't mean I've stopped buying tickets or completing other GTAA pledges.

You wanna call me a hypocrite, that's fine. I've recently made the decision to be a hypocrite about donating to GT Hoops because why should I spend money that may result in benefits for those GT fans who won't spend money.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Coleman, Smith, and Sturdivant all shoot below 70% from the free throw line. If you can't stand 15 feet in front of the basket with no one in front of you and hit 8 our of 10 shots, you are not a good shooter. It is time to accept the reality that these three guys are below average shooters.
This poster’s field goal and 3 point shooting benchmarks are completely ridiculous, but he’s not wrong about his free throw shooting expectations. It’s unbelievable how poorly college players shoot free throws these days.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This poster’s field goal and 3 point shooting benchmarks are completely ridiculous, but he’s not wrong about his free throw shooting expectations. It’s unbelievable how poorly college players shoot free throws these days.
70% is the median percent made now. That hasn’t changed in a long time.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Go talk to Wilt Chamberlain. He knew how to improve his free throw shooting percentage and decided not to. One year he had Rick Berry teach him and used it for part of the season. His percentage jumped 10 points even though he only used it for part of the season. Free throws are not emphasized like they used to be.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I just went through 10 pages of my old posts (about 8 months worth) and can't find one being particularly supportive of Pastner. Please help me out with that one if you've got it.

My comments on the financial resources needed to run a winning ACC basketball program have been under the assumption it's for a new coach. It assumes a head coach salary of $3MM+, which isn't something I'd give Pastner, so you clearly are not comprehending what I'm saying.

Again, you mix up your facts and are misdirected in your responses.
I think other fonts are getting confused because a portion of the money that you say we need to invest in the program is already part of the budget today. How much more more would you say is needed to get us to being competitive?

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I ATTENDED THE VIRGINIA GAME.

My mind has changed. I love Pastner and wish him all the best, he’s been a fun guy to have. But the last two games are unacceptable. I see no future in what we have now. We have TALENT but Pastner’s system is holding us back. Idk if we will fire him this year bc we just fired Collins but we have to act soon because he we’re headed right back to where we were under Gregory.
it took this long?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
For reasons we all understand, we had to bet on a long shot. Unfortunately, we did not get a second Bobby Cremins.

Consequently, we now need a new coach and a fresh set of downs. Wait...

Whatever. You know what I mean.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any big jump in improved performance this season. We might get an unexpected win or two on a hot shooting night and the opponent plays poorly but an overall losing season. Pastner will survive after this season but unless he brings in some bigs that can play ACC level and he doesn't lose guys to the portal, he will not get more than next season to prove himself. The FB program will be established (good or bad) and basketball will then be in focus. I like the guy but at some point he has to establish some consistency in the program. One good season every 5 or 6 years isn't getting it done and he knows it.