What's he doing??

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
U do realize the outside perception of the difficulty of this transition from the option and lack of talent due to the option (what everyone is saying in the msm) essentially has now sealed the deal that cpj will probably never land another p5 job now. And that may be the case for monken etc too unfortunately

Fair. No. But life isnt

But if you dont think our season would strike fear in any fanbase and AD hiring an option coach think again. Because what next will be asked when dude leaves or doesn’t succeed

I fully realize all the cpj boosters will jump on me. But thats just the general reality of outside perception of whats going on at gt and how i see other schools thinking

It was largely the perception of most football fans and pundits before CPJ got here also. And remained a narrative despite success with it. Every time there was a dip in performance those narratives would get louder. And leaving on an overall dip cemented it for those inclined to dislike the scheme.

Not necessarily true for those that appreciate the scheme but true for those predisposed to bias against it.

It was what it was and now it’s history. Now we can fail with all the other schemes out there and we won’t have to suffer through ignorant excuse making based solely on scheme.

I’m glad the triple is gone from Tech. There are other schools I can watch when I want to see it run well....like the Citadel did to us this year.

GoJackets1

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ.JPG

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
But we’d probably be 3 - 1 right now.
Probably. And we'd probably end 7-6 again too.

I hate that we are struggling just like everyone else. But this is the process that is going to have to occur to reconstruct this program into a national power. It's going to take 3 to 4 years minimum. We were never going to get there with CPJ. But CGC sees where GT should be.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It'd most likely look a lot like 2017-18. Either very 1-dimensional with tons of QB Keepers and ignored WRs with TO back there or god-knows-what with Lucas as starter. Graham probably transfers due to lack of PT. Defense would likely have been just as bad or worse with Woody, who was in over his head.

Maybe Wells doesn't regress though.
Why do you think Woody was in over his head? Because the defensive results weren't impressive in his first year? If you consistently used that logic, what inference would you draw about CGC based on his first year results?

Woody's defensive stats his first year at App St weren't impressive either. But, from his second year forward, he was top 20 every year. That's why many of us were extremely sad to see CPJ go and see this coaching staff disassembled. We finally had a chance to have top 20 O and D (even with our budget!), which has SO rarely happened at GT. We had the offensive players in the pipeline to be top 10 again. There were elements of a perfect storm brewing. SM(sad)H.

CGC's past results as a HC are 7-5 first year 8-4 second year (both of which are a digression from what that team had done under the previous head coach). Whereas another coach had taken a team who hadn't won more than 2 games in a season in 3 decades (that may be a slight exaggeration, I haven't looked it up) and took them to back-to-back 12-win seasons. I truly don't get it. I mean, if past success is the best indicator of future performance...

But ... I only get riled up enough to react like this when people want to say dumb stuff like "Woody was in over his head" (with complete logical hypocrisy regarding CGC), or "GT needed a change" (with zero objective facts to back up that assertion), and "Graham probably transfers due to lack of PT" after a redshirt freshman season ... Seems much more likely to me that Graham would've become another Justin Thomas, not to mention Yates.

Just let me pull for CGC and the team. Allow me to watch this thing like an entertaining movie with willful suspension of disbelief for a while. I could do that much more easily if people wouldn't get me to turn my brain back on with illogical criticism of CPJ with a sole motivation of not liking the previous regime for "style"-reasons.

Jolly Good Fellow
Full disclosure, here...I love, love, love the triple option... it hides the deficiencies of under-sized, non-athletic offensive linemen (and of this, I assure you, I speak from personal experience).. it runs clock and shortens games by reducing possessions..... with a big-time option QB, FB who moves the pile and a couple of pitch guys who can fly, it is poetry.... but I understand that Paul had worn out his welcome..... and I completely support Geoff as he moves GT to whatever is next... but I don't get why so many of you folks spend so much energy hammering the guy who is gone...forever...never to return... you are safe from ever again seeing Jonathan Dwyer up the middle or Roddy Jones on the edge.. I'm all-in with choreographed dancing on the sidelines and coaches dressing up like Game of Thrones characters..Hoo-Ray 2019....I just don't understand why Tech men spend their time hating on the guy who's gone....SMH

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve said that Johnson is a hall of fame coach (and gotten flak for it). But the last few years have been in decline and the moving average gets rid of the cherry picking of picking 3 years vs 4 years vs 5 years:

Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) Tweeted:
Georgia Tech’s S&P+ history, from divorces to titles to the triple option. The Wreck are unique, I’ll say that much. https://t.co/6xQecPWXoA

The trend line for our team, overall, is down over the last decade, even if there are high points.

Great graph. Yes, it shows it that CPJ reached a peak with the team in the 2008 time period that we had not seen since the George O'Leary days, and yes, it shows that the past couple of years of CPJ were not as good as 2008/2009, in which he was really good for GT. But even at the bottom of his "moving average," he was better than any coach since the mid 1970s. Let that sink in.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Full disclosure, here...I love, love, love the triple option... it hides the deficiencies of under-sized, non-athletic offensive linemen (and of this, I assure you, I speak from personal experience).. it runs clock and shortens games by reducing possessions..... with a big-time option QB, FB who moves the pile and a couple of pitch guys who can fly, it is poetry.... but I understand that Paul had worn out his welcome..... and I completely support Geoff as he moves GT to whatever is next... but I don't get why so many of you folks spend so much energy hammering the guy who is gone...forever...never to return... you are safe from ever again seeing Jonathan Dwyer up the middle or Roddy Jones on the edge.. I'm all-in with choreographed dancing on the sidelines and coaches dressing up like Game of Thrones characters..Hoo-Ray 2019....I just don't understand why Tech men spend their time hating on the guy who's gone....SMH
Great post! :beercheers:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

You are all in on Geoff yet throwing shade on him and pining for Paul in the same post. Both sides do it and that is why we will never get past it.